Zonta jumps ship to Renault | FerrariChat

Zonta jumps ship to Renault

Discussion in 'F1' started by jknight, Aug 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Thought this a bit of interesting news regarding Zonta - certainly gives an extra bennie to Renault:

Zonta set for Renault switch

Toyota test driver Ricardo Zonta is set to make a surprise switch to be Renault's tester next season. Zonta has gained vast knowledge of Bridgestone tyres at Toyota this season and sources claim that Renault are hoping to tap into that databank when he joins them.

This should allow Renault to get a head start on their switch to Bridgestone rubber in 2007, with their current tyre supplier Michelin pulling out at the end of this season.

He will also likely act as reserve driver for the team. Giancarlo Fisichella is already confirmed as a 2007 race driver and it is thought now almost certain that Heikki Kovalainen will join him for his first season in Formula One.

Zonta is set to be joined in the testing ranks by GP2 title contender Nelson Piquet Jr. An announcement about the team's test driver plans could be made as early as this week.

Carol

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze

never saw this coming, but it's more to believe that heikki is now the 2nd renault driver. looks like kimi will be on his way to the scuderia anyways...

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Hi Brian - let's play devil's advocate - what is Michael doesn't retire - I would suppose then Kimi stays at McLaren . . . . so much for speculation . . . we'll know in just over a week. Our good friends from London are at a Owner's F1 Test Day at Monza - wonder what inspiration that will lend.

Carol

4. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    hi carol, good afternoon. actually, i read that merc did made some offers to kimi and hope to keep him. fact here is, even if merc offers 100 mil a year to kimi, i don't think he'll take it, IMO. i think kimi wants a winning car, it's got nothing to do with the money. kimi's tired of all these prob with the car, and furthermore, the last person he wants to be partnered is FA.

but deep down, i still hope that michael won;t retire. he's good to go for another 2 years i would say. and, i've been saving up my money to have a grandstand seat next year in malaysia, to see michael up close. i just hope he continues tho, regardless who his teammate will be. have a nice day carol.

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I guess we gotta wait till next week. i think Kimi would rather race against FA at McMerc than go to Ferrari and race against MS. Ferrari is bulit around MS and Kimi would really have to blow MS into the weeds to gain the upper hand at Ferrari. If Kimi goes to Ferrari it will probably be because MS calls it a career. Just my 2 cents. I'd love to see MS and Kimi at Ferrari though

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Considering the team with be made of GF and (supposedly) HK, they will be nowhere near a WDC or WCC battles. If the McLaren gets better, it will be the only thing Ferrari has in its way.

7. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    It doesn't hurt to have a 'third' driver on a team - one with actual F1 experience no less.

Three teams have tapped into their 'third' drivers this year that I know of.

8. kirill

kirill Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
    Remember Kimi's comment - "No matter if you second or third - you still not N1" Now imagine MS on press conference after the race "I like to thank Kimi for driving a perfect race and keeping Alonso from getting close to me - so i can win this one" - just don't see that happening.

Last person KR wants to partner is MS on Shumi's turf. FA on Kimi's turf (McLaren) - not a big deal.

9. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze

thats because it ain't gonna happen. IF kimi joins the scuderia, from what i understand, it will be a joint no.1 status.

10. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Franck Montagny is set to replace Ricardo Zonta as tester at Toyota next year.

Carol