zero oil pressure on gauge | FerrariChat

zero oil pressure on gauge

Discussion in '348/355' started by hammer1, Oct 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hammer1

hammer1 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Chris Morris
    Well here it goes I need some thoughts on this one.......

I took my 355 to our local ferrari tech and had him go through it top to bottom just to make sure that i made a smart purchase. He also installed a tubi I was able to find thanks to this forum. His report was very good with no issues that he could find and the tubi install went very well - although the passenger tips dont center in the opening like th left side and not amount of adjustment will fix it - not terrible just i noticed and he told me about it also.

So I am rip and roaring last night (great night here) and she is running and sounding GREAT. I check the gauges as I always do and WOW I have NO oil pressure at all!!!! AFter i regain my mind I check the oil temp and all is normal and the car is running great. I note that there is NO movement on the needle at all and decide that the issue is electrical and not a dangerous issue. I took her to him this morning and the oil was clean and full and he agreed that it is more than likely electrical or the pickup.
    NOW to the question - has anyone else on here experienced this????

thanks alot
    chris

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Yes.

Check it over but it is likely the sending unit.

3. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I haven't had this issue on my car but I have seen it on others. It has to be one of three things; the gauge, sending unit, or wire between them. I would check the gauge first since it is easy to get to (at least in a 348). If you check the gauge with a meter you should see some voltage between the terminals. If none is there it is the sending unit or a broken wire somewhere between them. Next check the sending unit and see if you are getting some voltage there. If you are then you have a wiring issue.

Good Luck!

4. WallaceBow

WallaceBow Karting

Jul 13, 2008
    New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Wallace Bow
    Yes. Your oil pressure gauge should also be equipped with a warning light. Does the light go on? If so, sending unit. If it goes out but the gauge reads 0, it's the gauge.

In my case it was the gauge.

Wallace

5. hammer1

hammer1 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Chris Morris
    Thanks Wallace,

Yes the right idiot light does work and comes on at start up and then goes off, so I would assume that the gauge is getting juice so I assume it is a wiring issue or the sending unit..

Thanks alot, just about lost it when the gauge went to ZERO!!! Just after having the care gone through and getting an A+ review.
    THanks again
    Chris

6. hammer1

hammer1 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Chris Morris
    Well I got to the bottom of my ZERO pressure on the gauge and it blew me away!! The idiot light still functioned so I knew I was getting power, upon further inspection i found all of the NUTS on the back of the gauges loose!! WOW, I guess just time caused this, as once tightened all was good again.

I guess it was a good thing because further inspection we found a slight leak at the water pump! Hopefully got that fixed also.
    Now,,, on to driving!!!

7. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    good news brother
    well done