Your thoughts | FerrariChat

Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Texas Forever, Jul 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey Wolfgang, et at.

I realize that you folks don't normally view the political threads, for good reason. However, we did have one going for a while about requiring a common language. That is, until the pro- and anti- gun nuts hijacked the thread. ;(

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25319

At at rate, I am curious to get your comments on my post about the Turks in Germany. How did I do? Am I totally off base or right on the money?

You can now return to your normal, uh, bonking thread.

Dale

Actually Carbon there is more to this than you might think. In a past life, I was a Anthropology major, and one of the things that I remember is that one of the defining characteristics of a culture is a common language. This may sound too simplistic, but people who do not share the same language do not share the same culture.

Modern day Germany is perhaps the best example of this. The current polictical borders of Germany do not really reflect it's cultural past. Even though there are tremendous differences in dialicts, there only thing that keeps modern Germany together as a culture is its language.

For better or worse, there is an American culture and the shared language is English. I agree with you that we get the better part of the deal when immigrants come to our country, legal or otherwise. I don't agree with you that they don't need to learn the language. I have known many, many people who have come to our country. Without exceptioin, the first thing they did was learn the language.

I'll use Germany as an example again. After WWII, the Germans encouraged the Turks to immigrate as a cheap labor pool. Unfortunately, many of these Turks never learned the language. As a result, Germany has Turkish ghettos that are now into their third generation who do not speak German. Moreover, because Germany does not grant citizenship by birth, these third and fourth generation immigrants are still that -- immigrants.

I'm sad to say that one of the consequences of growing older is that all the solutions that seemed so simple when you were younger no longer seem so simple any more.

DrTax

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Dear Dale,

sorry buddy I (and I can only speak for myself) will never read or response here at fchat.com on any political threads.
    Ferrari & ferrarichat.com is my love & passion to relax from all the other BS and I keep it free for myself off all politic, rassism…..a.s.o. just & only Ferrari & friends.
    And last but not least I would describe myself, like Mark and some more other gents here,
    as a : “Citizin of the World”

Regards & please don`t get me wrong

Yours

Wolfgang

3. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Hi Dale, :)

I'm sorry, but I second Wolfgangs thoughts on this. I am a total car-nut and I do not use Ferrarichat.com to discuss politics!

Friendly regards

Carsten

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    First, my apologizes for messing where I should not have been a messing!

I was just trying to show Carbon that many of the problems we face in the USA are not unique to this side of the pond. Indeed, keeping a common language is a problem in just about every major industrialized country.

A good friend told me about the Turkish situation in Germany, and I was just curious as to whether his comments were on the money.

However, I realize that you folks don't share the same passion that many of us in the states do of letting it all hang out, even if the rest of the world would rather we didn't!

Again, my apologies. You may now return to your regular bonking thread. :)

Best, Dale

5. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Thanks for speaking on our behalf Wolfgang - I could not have said it better myself. We only speak Ferraris and scheisse here in the multicultural Euro section!! ;)

Later, MARK (a roving citizen...)

6. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Dear Dale,
    you don`t need to apologize for your thougths & questions!
    No problem, we just try to keep the european section clean of ANY political, racism....and all the other BS free.
    Ferrari related!
    And last but not least:
    "You may now return to your regular bonking thread"
    The bonkers thread is:
    - the place to say hello & good morning
    - the place to talk about the daily ups & downs
    - the place th leave a short message
    - the place to talk private problems, thoughts
    - the place to ask for any help
    - the place which is still over 50% Ferrari related
    - we don`t need to start for every question a new thread
    - the place to laugh and kidding around
    - the place to relax:)

Have a great and wonderful day
    Yours
    Wolfgang

7. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo

oww....so that's bonkering ;) now I finally understand LOL

8. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    @DrTax: Your assessment wrt the situation of Turkish immigrants in Germany is partially correct. I would however like to correct two things:

- Germany has made it very easy for the Turkish to get German citizenship.
    - All of the third generation Turks speak German - at least to some extent.

But in any case I would agree that the integration of Turkish immigrants badly failed, mainly because there was to low pressure on them to adopt to the European lifestyle (and the local language). The victims are a lot of young Turkish people who where born here but never got the chance to fully integrate themselves in our society because of their narrowminded parents.

To sum things up: Some pressure on immigrants to adopt language and culture is in favour of them and even more so in favour of their kids.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn, and here I thought all this time that you guys and gals were talking about BONGS! You know, like bang a gong.

:)

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks I appreaciate the info. BTW, my daughter will be doing another term in abroad in Berlin this Fall. She was there last winter and loved it.

Dale

11. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    If you need any kind of administrative help or so plz let me know.

12. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Not sure I fully agree with others here, the amalgam between discussing politics, social or economic issues, and racism is very simplistic.
    Under such rules, 'beloved' soccer should be banned too as it's one of the most widespread vector of nationalism (and sometimes too racism, cf Calcio in Italy).

I think that initiatives such as Dale's should be encouraged, perhaps not within the context of fchat, but I think that dismissing them altogether is snobish.
    In a world of narrow perspectives and overly simplified value systems, looking around and seeking opinions or insights is a commendable approach.

Dale - if you wish to discuss the topic further, you're welcome to PM/EM me.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey Guys, if Wolfgang want to keep the Euro section free from politics, I'm good with that. I didn't understand the guidelines when I made my post. I'm just one of these guys with a trashcan mind, and I enjoy getting cross-cultural feedback. Too many of us in the states are gulity of thinking that the world stops at our borders.

So how about this? Feel free to send me a PM with your thoughts and then you guys can keep on bonking. (It's funny. I have always thought that bonking meant sometime else...)

Thx, Dale

14. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    i consider myself as a political being. and i'm open minded and like to discuss political or social issues. but what i can't stand, and that's the reason why wolfgang, me and others are not participating in the discussions on ferrarichat is this narrow minded, intolerant and insufferable right-wing propaganda which is spread there in extenso.
    before i really start to dislike some people, i prefer to stay out.

15. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Well put. I have quite similar feelings.