Your Opinions on this 1991 348TS for sale . . | FerrariChat

Your Opinions on this 1991 348TS for sale . .

Discussion in '348/355' started by 2DUCKS, Feb 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2DUCKS

2DUCKS Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    K
    Hello all.

I recently found this web site from a magazine I was reading. Needless to say, I've been up all night reading everything I can on the topic of F 348's.

This is a wonderful site for F Enthusiasts and I'm going to spend more time reading this site to gather more info.

Anyways, this would be my first Ferrari purchase. I was contemplating on a 348 or 355 Targa style Red/Tan. I particularly like the Red 348, especially the model year in which they painted the lower body black. However, many people have advised me to go to the 355 route due to the 348 being not as reliable. But my heart still lies with the 348.

I know everyone mentions getting the best example of the Ferrari you are after, and this 1991 348ts model fits the bill (the black painted lower body and Targa style) and seems to be calling my name.

This vehicle is located at Motorcars international.
    http://www.motorcars-intl.com/
    Rosso Corsa(Red) with beautiful Tan leather. Only 8572 miles! Complete belt and cam seal service by Ferrari store at 7437 miles. Fully documented . All books, records, tools etc.

Has anyone taken a look at this vehicle or has anyone inquired about this vehicle that they would like to share?

Also, how is Motorcars International? Can people share some insights with this dealer.

Finally, I live in San Jose, CA. What would be the route in which to go about purchasing such a vehicle from out of state? Do I find someone around that area to do a PPI for me? Do I take a flight out to the dealership and inspect it myself (just the basics)? Also, can someone give me a guesstimate on how much a PPI will cost from a reputable person? Finally, how much do these specialty shop normally charge for shipping a vehicle?

I'm hoping to join the 348 brotherhood one of these days. However, I'm off in a few hours to go to look at a 355 and 360 at Ferrari of San Francisco. I went to view a 1992 348 Targa yesterday , but the interior of that car left something to be desired.

Many thanks in advance.

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    355's have a number of problems of their own, so I wouldn't let that sway you. Both models are more problematic and exepensive to maintain than the 328's before and the 360's after.

1991's have most of the updates which is a plus. Motorcars Int'l has been around a long time and have a reputation for offering quality cars. You can send them money without worrying they might be gone next week. One critical question on this car is how long ago the service was done. Belt changes are more often done due to time, not mileage. Most (but not all) people recomend a timing belt every 5 years regardless of mileage. An engine out, major service on 348's is pretty pricey.

Dave

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hi and welcome to fchat. You might want to narrow your search a bit - 348, 355 and 360 are a broad price range and very different cars. All Ferrari's have their known weaknesses, so my recommendation would be to decide what you love and then become an expert there. There are tons of posts here (use the search) about 348 foibles -- sticky interior plastics (355 as well), single timing belt design, C pillar stress cracks, finicky ECUs, etc. But plenty of owners here have sorted these out and love their cars.

I'm in San Diego and have bought high-end cars out of state twice - once from Missouri, once from North Carolina. The first time, I made the mistake of taking the dealer's word that a local dealership had gone through the car and provided a checklist. When the car arrived, it was way overdue for service (Porsche in this case), had dangerously worn and aged tires, cracking belts, etc. I will give you the dealer's name via email if you want. It was NOT Motorcars Int'l - I haven't bought from them. Point is, you need to have someone independent, paid by you ($300-$500 usually) to do this. Shipping from Missouri to San Diego was about $1100 or so, enclosed truck.

I just took delivery of a 328 from Sport Auto in NC. The PPI was done by Ferrari of Atlanta, and the owner of Sport Auto put me in touch with a previous owner as well. Shipping was $1800, enclosed truck. My travel schedule for work didn't allow me to get out there to view the car (there were several interested buyers), but I would have liked to. In my case the dealer took high res photos of the entire underside of the car, engine bay, interior, etc. The car turned out to be as good as the photos, but if you're spending $100K on a 355 you can probably give them a credit card deposit and fly out there. The ideal thing would be to be with your mechanic who's doing the PPI - great learning experience, even if you don't buy the car.

EDIT: Just read Dave's reply, and it reinforces other advice I was given. Of all the "modern" Ferrari's, the 328 and 360 are the ones I would actually buy with my own money, although I admire the looks of almost all of them.

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Why buy a car in Missouri when you live in a place that has tons of F-cars? Be patient and look locally. As for buying a car out of state, be careful. Many states don't require inspections and cars get modified and parts get "chucked." My advice is to buy a car that is currently registered in CA to avoid emissions problems that could be very expensive to correct. There are plenty of nice rust-free examples in the Bay Area and if you can't find anything here, LA is just down the road.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Sounds like you have done alot of homework. Stay strong brother (to be)! The 348 is pretty reliable as exotics go. They have suffered bad press.
    The seller has a good reputation. PPI generally cost around $500. You should have that done to make sure the engine is mechanically sound. Also run a Carfax to verify the car has not had the odometer rolled back or other accident history. Good choice.
    BT

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    348 is a great car!!

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    That car would be great for showing at a concours. I recently saw the very first 348 produced at Cavallino Classic in Palm Beach and the only 348ts on display looked identical to the one you are considering. It even had the same power antenna. My 1989 has the antenna on the roof and painted lower valences. If you want original, that car is outstanding. you might ask if the car has been jusged by FCA judges, and what score it got. I personally like the look of the painted lower panels, but the original look is getting more rare (and probably more valuable) all the time. Where are you located? If you are in South Florida you can check out my car to have a comparison for the one you are considering buying.
    BT

8. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    The original black on lower panels means it has not been repainted. Usually when the lower panels are repainted it's for a reason. Sometimes looks, but sometimes other reason.

I would not be worried about buying from out of state. I recently bought a 348 from NY. The 348 has modern emmissions and should pass in any state. As long as reputable dealer I would not worry. I would strongly encourage going to look at the car though.

9. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #9 VTChris, Feb 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

Those are actually 512TR wheels, not 355's, and very nice upgrade in my opinion.

Stephane
    Scaledetails

11. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

You should definitely inspect the car in person first. The pictures don't show the potential wear on the driver's seat, worn carpeting, etc. This may not be a "concours" 348 unless you have actual concours results from the serial number. I also don't think the power antenna is factory, and the CD player was obviously added in later.
    I've always been careful when buying from dealers, as not everything is disclosed and not all records are accessible. Make sure you get the history on the car, Carfax, etc. Great choice nonetheless, the 348 is still my all time favorite.

Stephane
    Scaledetails

12. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Sorry :(

I want them, they look great

13. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #13 VTChris, Feb 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

THis car's (symbolic) interior looks great, more pics..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    What is the easiest way to tell the difference between 355 and 512TR wheels?

Thanks

15. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

www.SportAuto.cc also has a nice 348 TS. 21k miles.
    Call Steve Jones, he is an honest man. This is where I bought mine, sight unseen and shipped to California.
    He is a great guy

16. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    " What is the easiest way to tell the difference between 355 and 512TR wheels? "

the spokes look "fatter"

17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Just got back from giving a couple of workers in the office next to mine quick rides through the back streets around our offices. They could not believe the power, handling, braking, and incredible sound the 348 has. Great choice, it will put a smile on your face every time you drive it.
    BT

18. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

The inner carvings on the 512TR spokes go all the way to the rim, as opposed to the 355's, much shorter, and yes, they are a little "fatter".

Stephane
    scaledetails

19. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    As per 1993 all the lower bodywork was in the car's colour.
    Same as the mid 1993 gts and gtb's, but they were not exported to the USA I believe..

20. nunojcmaia

nunojcmaia Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2004
    porto - portugal
    Full Name:
    nuno maia

21. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    I drove the red 348 at SportAuto, the car was in exceptional condition.
    I've also bought cars from SportAuto, I've never been unsatisfied.
    Talk to Steve Jones or Steve Barney.

22. 2DUCKS

2DUCKS Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    K
    Hello again everyone. I replied back a few days ago, but then as I submitted the post, the site err'd out on me. Aggghhh.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank everyone for their valuable insights and input into the F348.

I took a good look at a 355 and 360 Spyder the other weekend. In my opinion, this is how I see things.

The 355 is nice. The rims/rear tail light/and interior are pluses. However, the vehicle is rather bland for my taste. I feel as if it is just an update to the 348.

The 360 Spyder is very nice. The interior/rear tail/and see through engine compartment is really cool. However, I feel the car is just another styling exercise the designers are tasked with.

The 348, to me, is a piece of art on wheels. Yes, it is a little dated, but still a rolling piece of art work as compared with the 355 and 360. If I can explain this in motorcycle terms. The 348 is much like the Ducati 748/998 series. The 360 is much more like the Ducati 749/999 series. Or how about an analogy in terms of vehicles. A 348 is like the older BMW 5 Series vehicles. The 360 is more like the newer styled BMW 5 series. That's how I see it. To each and their own, of course.

The funny thing is that the 355 and 360 cars that I've seen at the dealership were in pristine condition. I mean they are definately nice cars, no doubt about it. However, the 348ts I've seen the other day was not a pristine example of this car, but yet, it still thrilled me. I'm looking forward to the day I am able to see with my own eyes a pristine example of a 348 Red/Tan TS that has the factory black paint on the lowers.

I made an effort to email Motorcars Int. a few days back. Their website promises a reply within 24 hours. Funny thing, it has been more than 2 days now. Funnier thing is a lot of people recommends them because of their service, even though their prices are higher than most. I always try and email a seller before speaking with them as I want to see how responsive they are. Maybe I'll try again in a few more days.

Thanks to the research I've done on this site and the fact that there are other 348 enthusiast here makes me more comfortable with focusing my attention on finding the best example of this vehicle. I had to admit, prior to coming here, I was shifting my attention away from the 348 because of what everyone was telling me and from what I was reading in the press. I was on the borderline between a 348 and 355. But now, I'm definately going to stop looking for a 355 and focus on learning everything I can about a 348 and wait until a 348 pops up on my rader. So if anyone else knows of a good exmple of this vehicle anywhere in the USA, please post up.

Now to address some comments:

Yes, David, I've went and looked at a few 348's in the Bay Area. Again, the interior left something to be desired with the ones I've seen. I have yet to go to LA, but this will definately be another route. True, it would be nice to get a car within CA as there will be less hassles on my part.

Bill, unfortunately I'm too far from you to view your 348. Thanks for your offer though!

Christopher, thanks for the lead. Have you actually gotten a chance to view this vehicle in person? If so, what were your opinions?

I definately have to agree with Stephane about having to view the vehicle with your own eyes. I saw a couple of ads for a 348 locally and the pictures looked great. When I arrived to see the vehicle in person, the interior left something for me to be desired. Now, I'm just a particuarly picky person when it comes to the interior of a vehicle. In fact, I once had a Honda Civic dating back to 89. When I finally sold it off in 2003, the buyer said the interior still looks showroom new. My friends and family claim the same with all my vehicles as well. That is just who I am and it will only make it harder for me to find that perfectly cared for vehicle I'm after. I just have to be patient like David says.

Anyways, I'll keep everyone updated on my search. Again, if someone knows of a pristine example of a 348TS, Red/Tan, low mileage, please let me know.

Thanks for everyone's help!

23. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    I did see the car at Symbolic, it is clean, and the interior is super nice.
    Bolster wear is not very noticeable. It is a TS and I was looking for a TB.
    I would call Sport auto, Mr Jones will tell you the 100% truth about his car.
    he will take detailed images for you if you needed them.

I did buy my car from him sight unseen, and it was better in person than the pictures. and the pictures were great.

I would trust him,

24. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    If the interior suites you, I would recommend waiting for a Series Speciale to come up. They are very mildly more expensive than the standard 348ts, and are much more rare. There are only about 100 in existence, some have carbon fiber seats, all have different rear tail lights. However, they are all painted on the lower valences (from the factory). Sorry to complicate your search, but I thought I would throw it out there. One nice thing about the 348 is that it will very likely be the only one at any given show. I have not been to a gathering where there was any other 348ts in attendance (except Cavallino Classic where there were three total including my car - 2 in the show and mine in the spectator lot).
    BT

25. surfermark

surfermark Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Mill Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I know of a super low mileage 1991 328 GTB with 133 original miles on her at PhilVille Classis Cars. This one is a time capsule. The web site is at: http://www.philvilleusa.com/text.php?PageName=Inventory

I almost bought it myself about 6 months ago.....Brand new 1991 348 TB.....It also has a great color interior and black on a 348 is pretty cool. The person who owns it is fairly old...in 70's and looking to sell her. I think he bought it for an investment a long time ago.