Your opinion - Dino brakes and lines; original ATE or Stainless steel braided? | FerrariChat

Your opinion - Dino brakes and lines; original ATE or Stainless steel braided?

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Feb 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My 1973 Dino 246 GTS brakes straight under light braking but pulls seriously to the right under hard braking. SO much so that the brake dust on the front right wheel shows a much thicker quantity than the left front. I've conjectured that it may be that the brakes lines have swollen and reduced braking ability on the left.

So what brake lines would you install on a nice driver; original ATE black or newer Stainless steel with teflon inside?
    Personal opinion only!

I'll probably be doing the calipers too and thought I'd have Stainless Steel Brakes rebuild mine as I've been happy with their previous work.
    Besides White Post, anyone have anyother experiences?

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Stainless Steel Brakes is the way to go on the rebuilt calipers. You may save yourself some time by getting them from T. Rutlands as he may have them on the shelf. The price may be the same as getting them done yourself as they send in bunches at a time. You would have to see what SSB charges and the turn around time as opposed to getting them from Rutland to make that call. Make sure they are replated and not painted if that matters to you. For everyday use on a GTS I would not have a problem with original style ATE brake lines as they will last a good long time and give a slightly softer pedal. I see the GTS as a "spirited" cruiser and the ATE lines are OK.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Superperformance has them too.

http://www.superformance.co.uk/parts/dino2/brakes2k3.htm

I've replaced all the brake lines on every old car I've owned with stainless, and had excellent success with them, you can tell a difference.

I'm gonna take a shot at brake pads and lines on the Dino this summer, and will for sure be using stainless.

DM

4. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Dave-
    I re-did my front end this summer & redid the front brakes lines etc. I had SS brakes do them in Buffalo. It took them about 1 month and cost 7 or 800 bucks (only the front brakes). I bought the rubber brake lines from Superformance in UK as they were cheaper (much) than anyone else. The brakes lines are a standard part. My car was veering violently to the left before I had the brakes done. When I pulled the old lines off they were collapsed & so when you hit the brakes only the left side was getting fluid thru & hence stopping & going to the left. I have had no problems since though. I was told by a very competent Porsche mechanic that the brakes are standard Porsche brakes & cost about 45 bucks in parts to rebuild. However, SS Brakes resleeves them but there is a large price difference in all of this. I may go another route on the rear brakes when I re-do them this spring. If I can help let me know...Champ

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    2 Months ago, Mark at Rutlands told me he sells 308 brake calipers for Dinos and that was teh only option. I might have been reading between the lines but I thought Dino and 308 front calipers were different.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I know the front brake pads are the same for my dino as the 1st year 308, so maybe there's some truth to that.

DM.

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Front and rear calipers for the Dino and 308 are the same.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I purchased my SS brake lines for my 328 for less than $100 delivered from this place in the UK. This is the Goodridge brand that others sell for upwards of $189, plus shipping!

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/

I just drilled down through their site, $90 plus shipping for the 246. So figure around $110 delivered.

Regards,
    Dave

9. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I just had my brakes redone. And I asked the shop about swapping to stainless brake lines. They said they had a set made but weren't able to stop it from leaking. So they put in a new set of regular brake lines. I was very disappointed that I couldn't SS lines for my Dino.

I knew I should have checked here. Thanks everyone for all the sources for SS brake lines.

Manny

10. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    As Champ suggested, rebuilding the 246 GT/GTS calibers is rather simple, and rather inexpensive. The rebuild kits I received from GT Car Parts in Arizona were approximately $25 each corner. Dismantling and rebuilding the calibers was not difficult and rather fun. Good time to clean them up and paint/plate.

Now here is the interesting part. The rear calibers include the hand-brake mechanism, which has a number of small parts that made me shutter to think what I would do if they were broken or in need of replacement. HOWEVER, the same Porsche mechanic that Champ is referring to handed me a Performance Products catalog for VW and Porsche, and ALL of the ATE parts, small gears and seals and bleed nipples and the like are available at minimal cost off the shelf! The 914-6 used the same rear calibers. Disk rotors for front and back are available at rediculously low cost from the VW/Porsche side of ATE Suppliers.

Stainless braided lines are available from most performance shops, and can be made up at low cost. I am not sure of the performance benefit for the Dino, or of the originality issue, but they sure look good.

Jim S.

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Jim, great post. a friend of mine here has used porsche 914 / 911 brake parts on his carb 308. MUCH cheaper . stainless lines are the way to go if its not going to be a show car.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Correct - the Dino used German ATE brakes.

The rear calipers do have a pivot for the handbrake cable to apply pressure to actuate the hand brake, but parts are readily available.

BTW, I've found the rear handbrake cable pivot is best lubricated with Tri-Flow. For such a dirty area of the car, this lubricant is fantastic. I took the rears apart years ago to clean them due to sticky cable action - hasn't been a problem since I used Tri-Flow on them.