You thought F1 was fixed? Nascar adjusts time itself for Danica! ;) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

You thought F1 was fixed? Nascar adjusts time itself for Danica! ;)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Fast_ian, Feb 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm going to use that one!

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm not sure that NASCAR should have an official beer.

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Despite the mysoginists on this thread, Danica proved herself very nicely today. If she impressed other drivers in the race, the opinion of the peanut gallery is not at all important.

That means you!

4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    +1

Danica ran a real nice race today...very solid drive. For the doubters, she had been fast all Speedweeks, it's not like the pole lap was a one-off and she proved herself in the race today. That said I don't see her finishing better than 25th in the points this year.

I like Nascar, and I've never understood why so many F1 fans feel the need to dog on it. Running 195+ MPH inches away from other cars for hours on end takes balls and talent. Period.

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Evidently not balls, maybe periods.

6. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ovaries?

7. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Whenever I read comments on being tough and having balls I often think about this quote, generally ascribed to Betty White:-
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ccZhU9ccxA]Miascuderia.com - YouTube[/ame]

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #33 RP, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Hopefully you were trying to be funny. If not, ouch, you obviously do not understand NASCAR, let alone motorsports. The original comment about running inches from another car at 195 needing balls and talent was correct. You are on the edge virtually the entire race.

In daily life, there are women out there that have bigger balls than most men. For a lightweight lady of Danica's stature to even attempt to race NASCAR, IRL, whatever, does take a lot of balls and skill. To continue for years and be reasonably successful is a real accomplishment. Consider how she finished year after year in IndyCar.

The joke here is those on the FChat peanut gallery with little or no balls or racing knowledge that think they have the knowledge to judge Danica Patrick. A b*t*h she may be, but a fast one for sure.

I too am surprised by the so-called F1 fans that diss NASCAR. They can not even be compared, two very different forms of motor sports. One being more competitive that the other. And that is not F1. F1 is a ballet, NASCAR is down and dirty competitive racing. I truly enjoy both. Because they are different. All of these silly comments about NASCAR being orchestrated, if you think that, then you must certainly believe that about F1. But then, that would mean that dozens of drivers in both F1 and NASCAR including the Schumachers, Hamiltons, Sennas, Gordans, Earnhardts, Pettys, Johnsons, Andrettis, Fittipaldis, etc, are going along with the scam on the racing fan.

Sorry to all, but that is just a ridicuous attitude.

9. anonymous161

anonymous161 Karting

May 4, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Adam
  10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

So nascar only turns left? they also turn right once in a while too.

What about dirt track, open wheel that must not be racing either so the only racing to you is F1 right. I like drag racing too when they turn they end up all over the track in pieces.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No.

I regard ovals (whether on tarmac, dirt, ice, excrement or the moon) and drag racing for that matter not nearly as high as proper track racing. You can say what you want, those are my viewpoints.

I never said F1 racing is the only type of racing that's proper, there are many, many forms of racing on tracks that I regard highly, as long as it doesn't happen on an oval or a straight bit of road.

what does that have to do with racing then. Oh look some idiot has turned right or left on a straight bit and he's ended up in a ball of fire all over the road. great racing. I know I'm over simplyfying it here, as there is of course a fair amount of talent and a pretty large scrotum needed to strap yourself into what is essentially a 5000 hp ladder with wheels and no useful steering, but put 99% of those guys in a DTM car, GP2 or F3 car and they simply won't be lapping in the same spectrum these guys are doing.

If you find drag racing entertaining good for you. It doesn't do anything for me and yes I've been to a drag race thingy before.

I find NASCAR entertaining as long as it comes in a 10 minute clip showing all the awesome crashes they've been having that day, which is the reason that most people watch NASCAR imo...to see a car sponsored by a supermarket chain explode into many pieces of what used to be car. If you listen closely, you can hear everyone wooping and clapping when that happens.

12. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I wouldn't say that, JPM has more wins in F1 than he has in Nascar. If racing on a "proper track" was harder than JPM would have cleaned up. Anyone who thinks oval racing is eay should give it a try sometime.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

a bit of a simplistic view of nascar. you are implying the best driver wins or would at least be on the same footing as the others? no...teams and cars are far from equal in nascar. that is a fact!

pcb

14. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nobody else has said it yet?

I'd hit it.

15. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Just as simplistic as the assumption that Nascar must be easier than F1 because they turn right and left as Jas said. JPM has said many times he had much to learn and that it's taking him years. Ganassi is a top tier team and many times a winner in past. JPM has yet to win on an oval which are supposedly easier than a "proper circuit"

Five years in, Juan Pablo Montoya still enjoying his NASCAR experience - NASCAR - Sporting News

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    For me at least, it's more "tongue in cheek". Don't forget the dissing goes both ways too.....

Whoa! No sure I'd go that far!..... I guess we'd have to define "competitive". If measured by "# of overtakes" or "# of leaders/race" then I'd agree.

OTOH, If judged purely by how close together they are, then F1 has the edge IMO; I haven't checked the times (I'm sure someone will ;)) but I suspect they're a lot further apart over comparable lap times (ie, road courses) than F1. Anyone lay their hands on qualy times from Montreal as an example? My guess is there's more than a second covering the top 10 on the Nascar grid on a road course. But I could be wrong!.....

Cheers,
    Ian

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The size of the fields make any comparison tough.

Kind of reminds me of a movie where two characters argued over which is the better ocean, Atlantic or Pacific.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Seems to me there's some pretty rubbish operations towards the back though..... I guess they're trying to address the "start & park" brigade. Even dear old Marussia has to be within 107; Don't think that applies in Nascar (?)

:) Indeed.

Makes for some lively bar-room debates though.

Cheers,
    Ian

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    FIX'D
    ;)

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Even the start and park guys have to qualify and make the show.

21. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I have to admit being impressed by The Danica's performance.
    Very good even up to the checker.
    What I did not like was afterwards her blaming the spotters.
    She needs to manage her mouth better.
    Another Hamilton (except Hami wins ;) ).

22. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    She has the best car and engine in the field - she better do well. In regards to the OP, I'm pretty darn sure she ran that lap for real. Fastest car, best conditions, smooth driving input = Daytona Pole.

If anything, HMS and SHR took a risk that NASCAR might not finely comb everything on her car, but I highly highly highly doubt anyone at NASCAR gave SHR a special Danica only part for more HP, or less drag and more downforce.

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    And nobody else has a decent car & engine?

I guess Tony said "give her the best motor, I'll take the one that's down on power."

Or Hendrick; "Gotta let Danica have pole - All you guys better back off".

As I've said, she's got a good package :)eek: ;)), but it's not like she's the only one as seems to be implied here.

Cheers,
    Ian

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    There's no doubt that NASCAR and the network hyped the hell out of her appearance, I think that it was more a matter of taking advantage of a situation than creating one.

25. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    :confused:

Why is this in the F1 section? - Shouldn't it be in: "Other Racing" as it has nothing to do with F1?