You thought F1 was fixed? Nascar adjusts time itself for Danica! ;) | FerrariChat

You thought F1 was fixed? Nascar adjusts time itself for Danica! ;)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Fast_ian, Feb 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

I thought we had sufficient members of the TFHB herein.

But, apparently Nascar can **** with time itself in order to put Danica on pole;

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142127318-post106.html

Really? These cars don't carry timing transponders? Nobody has their own timekeeping equipment?

WTF! :D ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I just think its an amazing coincidence that a midfield driver with a unique story/angle gets on the Pole of the first race of the season.

Its a miracle.

3. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    So, you too concur that Nascar can indeed slow time for her?

:D

I'm no expert, but a quick look at the history books suggests the Daytona pole is often won by a "midfielder". But none of those were considered a "miracle".....

She's obviously got a great team, car & crew chief. But because she's a girl it's a miracle?

We all know of the "phantom debris" flags, constant rule changes and so on but I refuse to believe they can **** with time itself...... Unless it is indeed a miracle! ;)

I'm not arguing that part of the reason she's there is down to her being female. Many others are there due to "daddy" having money. Being in the right place at the right time. They've all gotta get a little luck along the way. Why can't "you guys" accept that she simply drove a great lap in qualy? I'm certain the attitudes would be different if, eg, Scott-no-Speed or another "boy" had got it. Why can't she just be accepted as a damn good jockey?

But a "miracle" orchestrated by Nascar?

OK.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    I love how people are expecting a massive change in the car for 2014 to really shake up the F1 grid, but when the exact same thing happens in NASCAR it's "RIGGED"...

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Someone give this man a prize!!!

6. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Maybe somehow her car didnt have its restrictor plate installed?
    BTW Nascar qualifying at a track like Daytona is not exactly hard. You are on the track alone with your foot to the floor the whole time

7. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Go to Daytona.
    Try to qualify a car.
    Then come back and tell Fchat it doesn't take talent, determination, and guts.

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not for the first time..... "Cheating, the bad things good people do" is a pretty darn good read! - Some of the **** they used to get up to was *outrageous*! Loved it!.....

That's what I thought. Which is why I found the "ghost car" sequences pretty enlightening - She obviously had HP, but so did the others. She held a nice tight line - good car - But again, she's not the only one. I've read claims she was "wind assisted" - I guess the wind changed just for her.....

She simply flat out beat 'em all!

No "fiddling" with the timing, no "instructions" ahead of time. No conspiracies. Just a damn good lap IMO. I am surprised at how many can't seem to accept that....... [Not just here, but fans I've talked to as well.]

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I disagree with that too! ;)

I'd bet at least the top 3 in 2014 are permed from the top 5 this year.... Maybe more.

Not really a valid analogy IMO. The TFHB are claiming its rigged for one particular entrant.

;)
    Cheers,
    Ian

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    If she was driving an open wheel car, people would complain because she's twice as aerodynamic as other drivers.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Perhaps. But racing on a proper track is harder, the ones where you have to turn left AND right.

12. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I like the drags and they don't turn at all.

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    What can I say?
    The woman has a face that could stop a clock.
    ;)

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

I really doubt that 42 other drivers would go along with anything like this. Danica qualified early, cooler weather, clean track, and she did drive a great line for the way her car was set-up.

So I would disagree with the thinking that "time changed" for her qualifying, she really did do it. Don't forget, she did qualify well on the IRL ovals.

But, unlikely she will continue that performance in the race. Entirely different situation, she is not experienced enough to keep up with front pack

15. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    A friend told me today if you pour a bag of m&m's in the toilet and flush, you have a nascar race.

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It takes talent and guts to logroll too, but that doesn't mean it's exciting. I am not kidding, I actually prefer to watch logrolling over NASCAR.

Pack racing is boring.

17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    She weighs too little lol. ;)

People used to say that in Indy Car. I think she's a surly ****** (from 1st hand experience) but I think she's a good enough driver to perform on the pole.

...I mean, achieve pole position.

What's up with that Franco character and his "Drivers, and Danica, start your engines"? Was that supposed to be a slam or compliment?

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Exactly what I've been trying to say! But when I pooh-poohed that conspiracy the next was that Nascar was messing with the timing equipment...... ;)

Well, she was 3rd in practice. And then her qualy run was 8th - She had some studs running either side of her; Tony went first, so I guess the track was green for him. ;) Kyle Busch went 3rd, and he's no fool. And so on.

Again, IMO, she totally deserves to be there.

Guess it's time to go watch the start; DVR on pause right now......

Cheers,
    Ian

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :)

Serious Q; Are Indy cars weighed without the driver? I thought those days had gone.

Cheers,
    Ian

20. jdmwerks

jdmwerks Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    ^^^ hahaha, perfect!

21. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    "Those apples were probably sour anyway..."

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :) No doubt!

While it seems the peanut gallery wants to believe she's only there due to her sex I'm starting to think she's had it *harder* than most proving herself; She's certainly come up against a lot of "hatred" throughout her career IMO.

No idea if those feelings permeate the pitlane or if it's just (traditional?) "fans" that don't like her (?)

Cheers,
    Ian

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think it's both. She is a bonafide ass...very diva-ish and rubs fans the wrong way. The guys in the pitlane (in Indy Car, at least) were resentful of the amount of publicity she received (despite the fact that she somewhat saved the series) versus her lack of success on the track.

I think she's a legitimate driver (not elite though) who understands her value to racing (as explained by her handlers) and accepts the riches, but doesn't like anything else about the hype-machine. If she could have the same money, I'm certain she'd rather just race and forget the rest.

24. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I assure you after racing for 10 years myself and working in NASCAR for 8 years that the drivers in NASCAR have H U G E balls or ovaries in the case of Danica. As an aside I don't think she is anything more than an average driver.

I love road racing and that is all I ever did in the SCCA in SRF and other classes, but I took hundreds of people for rides in the pace car at Rockingham when I worked there and even at 90mph it is a bit scary...at 170 there you would have balls the size of bowling balls.

By the by, I am not a NASCAR fan at all. F1 and Indy and Sportscars all the way, but NASCAR drivers are very talented.

MB

25. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    In this corner, weighing in at 132 pounds … Takuma Sato. And in this corner, weighing in at 195 pounds … Justin Wilson.

In the eyes of INDYCAR, the sanctioning body for the IZOD IndyCar Series, both competitors are equal by weight if not height. A strictly enforced driver equivalency weight is in place for the 2012 season.

Click it: Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg entrant list

Drivers such as Sato, driving the No. 15 Honda-powered Rahal Letterman Lanigan car, will have ballast added to the car to reach 185 pounds (53 pounds in his case). The weight of the road/street course car is 1,565 pounds. At technical inspection, the car weight with driver equivalency is measured less 18.5 U.S. gallons of E85 fuel (a gallon weighs 6.6 pounds) and driver sitting in the cockpit (1,618 pounds for Sato’s car).

Driver weights were set at INDYCAR physicals in January.

“It’s something the drivers have been pushing for,” said team owner/driver Ed Carpenter, who will add 16.5 pounds of ballast to the No. 20 Fuzzy's Ultra Premium Vodka car. “It’s nice to see some change happening, and at this level of racing I think it’s good that we’ve gotten to this point to help equal things out a bit more.”

Dallara has made provisions for driver ballast in the form of steel or tungsten plates to be bolted to the cockpit floor – under a compartment behind the driver’s seat – and on the front side of the pedal bulkhead. Ten pounds is allowed in the latter, with any remainder directed to the seat location.

Steel plates weigh about 4 pounds each; tungsten is about 9 pounds. They can be combined as necessary to achieve the required ballast.