Yosemite! | FerrariChat

Yosemite!

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by PeterS, Nov 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #1 PeterS, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In the early 60's when I was about 5 or 6, the Fire Falls at Yosemite National Park was the place to be! It was unreal! Any old farts out there that remember this? In the late afternoon, park workers would buid a huge fire at the top of Glacier Falls. At dark, they would push the ebers over the edge. Quite the site from the valley floor. Also during the same time period, you could watch larch bears in the meadow when large dumpsters were placed there. It was cool to watch the bears rummage around! Here's some reading: http://firefall.info/readers.html has some cool stuff to read about it!

The above two are all gone. Hell, now you can not even have a camp fire whil camping there :( To bad all the Eco-Nazi's put an end to the pure enjoyment of the park.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I saw it when I was 8 years old. We ate dinner and then walked over to watch the bears eat theirs. They were bigger and meaner than I had expected. Sort of like a dog with a meaty bone. They made a lot of noise with those dumpsters! Then there was the long wait until it was dark. I think that I fell asleep and had to be awakened. The firefall lasted a lot longer than I expected. The pictures posted are as I remember it.

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    To me, the bears looks HUGE! Driving home last night (down the Sonora Pass), I passed a small brown bear in the road, first one I have seen since I was a kid at Yosemite.