WTB C2 Corvette | Page 2 | FerrariChat

WTB C2 Corvette

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by EarlyCat, Jul 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The truth is that many are not number matching, that are claimed to be. Far more than anyone will admit. Hemmings still sells re stamp kits. It got so bad at one point that even the lower 327 hp versions were getting re stamped. One example that sticks out that I know well was my Brother's 68 GTO. This car had a 326, not 400 (easily identifiable by the difference in freeze out plugs), and a turbo 350 (different oil pan) with a single trac. Real 242 GTO, but everything else wrong. Blue with no vinyl top. My Brother wanted a triple black car & had a black vinyl top installed and painted it black. Very nice car. Just not correct. Two weeks after he sold it, it re appeared on eBay now as a number matching 400 with a turbo 400 & a positrac. The guy flipped it for 50% more. My Brother was a little bit mad, so we went down the local FBI office & filed a complaint. They dispatched agents to where the car was & the buyer admitted it was done just for show & no harm done. The case was dropped. Then it appeared at a big dealer and sold quickly for more than twice what my Brother sold it for. I can't help but wonder how disappointed the end user was.

2. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Interesting story Joey.

My view on this:
    Restamping for restoration purposes and countering are two different things.

If a black car was painted red, and you put it back as the correct black, that's restoring and we would all say ok as long as you don't represent it as original paint from the factory. But if you painted that originally black car a rare color and changed the trim tag to support the new color, that is counterfeiting.
    Same thing with blocks in a way. If that 326 GTO blew up the original motor and you found the correct date and size block and stamped it to match the blown motor, that is a numbers matching correct restoration. And should be presented as such. (In fact is some cases local regulations require major replacement components to be restamped with a car's VIN)
    But putting a 400 in a Pontiac that came with a 326 and stamping it to appear original is for sure inappropriate, unless presented as a clone, tribute, etc. But pitty the poor guy three owners down the line because I'm sure the truth will often be conveniently forgotten.

NCRS generally sees it this way I believe as well and restamped and broached blocks are accepted for judging. Just not at the Gold, Duntov and Survivor type levels. If you were found restamped and presenting for that certification the NCRS basically kicks you to the curb forever. Esp if you are an official or judge.

I once bought a car from Kruse that was advertised as "Original". Turns out, I discovered to have been restamped and they ate a bunch of fees and re-auctioned it for me (properly). They banned the seller from all future auctions.

3. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Back to your new 67. I bet sitting on an open trailer you met a lot of new friends on the trip home. Every gas station I'm sure you heard a lot of stories about the memories you envoked with those old muscle cars and Vettes.

4. Pretty amazing really. Every toll both operator had a comment, all nice. Every time we stopped, someone would come over and look at it. Plenty of thumbs up on the road. Every single one that did look at it & comment knew it was a 67, which was surprising. It's a really neat car. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Very nice and as an owner of 2 1966's I have to admit that the styling was pretty much perfection in 67'

6. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 65-66 BB hood has grown on me more and more over the years to the point that I think I prefer it to the stinger. It looks more classic and hasn't been artificially added to so many C2s. Every resto-mod C2, regardless of the cars actual model year or engine, seems to have a stinger hood.