WTB C2 Corvette | FerrariChat

WTB C2 Corvette

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by EarlyCat, Jul 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm looking a a nice driver C2. Prefer the 65 to 67 big block convertible, but open to others.

2. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    I own a 64 C2 & 68 C3, not selling but have some advice.
    Be careful in the territory of "Big Block" "Numbers Matching". Those are the ones that are more susceptible to someone faking the Numbers Matching due to value.
    I was more interested in something like my 64 which is all numbers matching 64 with a L76 327 365 HP. That year only the Fuel Injected (trouble) had more at 375. My was a fair deal at what I bought it for.

Since you're talking "Driver" keep in mind that these old cars are susceptible to fires, not common but can happen due to age. Buy a Fire extinguisher. Mine would stall due to one of my Wiring Harnesses (replaced now). These were coated in such a way wiring wise that even NCRS will not take off points for not using NOS (New Old Stock) because those harnesses will oxidize even on the shelf.

Also do some research on how to inspect the frame and bird cage for rust. Getting into a Frame Off Restoration means either big money or NOT driving for a while.

Good Luck and remember just like a Ferrari do your due diligence and get someone with knowledge on the cars to check it out Ala PPI

of2worlds likes this.
  3. SBR1

SBR1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    I know of a couple of documented real deal 67 BB convertibles that may suit your needs. Send me a private message with what your wish list is and what you budget is and I will see if these suit you. I have been around these cars for decades and know them very well.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Did not know about the wiring harness issue. Have heard of rust in the dogleg of the rear frame section, but not sure how to properly inspect it.

5. Kruegmeister

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    of2worlds likes this.
  6. Finding the bonding strips unaltered is somewhat a big deal as well.

7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Frame rusting is one thing but bird cage rust will kick your ass.

8. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    Hi,
    Not sure if it is what you are looking for, but I have a C2 that I would like to sell. Normally, I don't sell my cars, but I am really out of garage space and my BB512 is coming back from Dave Helms' shop after a major service, so something else has to go outside or get sold. It’s an all numbers matching car in Ermine white with a black interior and top. It has the original trim tag, original engine, original transmission and rear differential. It’s an L76 327 / 365hp, close ratio M21 4 – Speed and a 3.70:1 Posi Traction CD code rear end. Being a “High Horse” roadster and all numbers matching makes this Corvette more fun than most and a solid investment. It was sold new and spent much of its life in central California and has been very well preserved as a 100% Rust Free car. The frame is beautiful, many original chalk marks and even the original frame stencil is still visible. I would consider this car a survivor, because the engine compartment and interior are both extremely original and unrestored. The car has had one, high quality repaint in its original color, Ermine White. The body is very straight and correct “Press Mold” fiberglass and does not show any signs of major repair work. I feel the car has NEVER been badly damaged. All of the Chrome is nice, especially the bumpers. All of the stainless is original and looks presentable. The side glass is very nice, and the windshield is new. The soft top is black and new. Other original features include all four T-3 head light bulbs, optional back up lamps, new exhaust system with nice sounding mufflers and new tires. This car runs and drives great- it's is a very good driver. The engine runs strong with no odd noises or leaks. The transmission and clutch are smooth and function as expected. The brakes are also smooth and operate properly. The overall driving experience is tight, solid and fun. Everything works as it should with the exception of the clock and the heater, the core has been blocked off. It's plenty nice enough to show, but not too nice to use and enjoy on sunny days. This car is a great driver and an even better investment because of its originality and all numbers matching nature. I'd be happy to see it go to a good home. If you are interested, PM me your email and I can shoot you some pics. I am looking to get mid 50's for a quick sale. You will not find a better, more original car for the price. I know it is not the party line, but I MUCH prefer driving the 365hp 6500-rpm redline small block to a big block car. But then again, all my other cars are Italian (except one McLaren!). The car is not advertised but Dave Helm's did say he has a customer that wants to see the car, so it may get sold.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Kruegmeister

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    My C2 is practically your car!
    Mine is currently painted Black but was originally Ermine White, Black Interior, also 64 L76 327-365 also all Number Matching, etc... mines not a Survivor as its been repainted, engine rebuilt, underside restored... yada yada...
    Mines not for Sale. Just found it interesting.

L76 327-365 is high reving and screams! Solid Lifters make for higher RPMs and a lot of fun.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. That is sweet & so are the other suggestions. What I'm really looking for is a car that can be driven without worrying about ncrs point deductions and maybe a few scratches. A nom car is fine.

11. #12 EarlyCat, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I picked this one up over the weekend out of North Carolina. Planning could (should!!) have been better as I was about 2 hours from the beach.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I have a 65 silver red roadster...looking for low 50's OBO...it's a driver, pm if interested, stuart

13. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very nice. Congrats!

14. wards70

wards70 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Full Name:
    Ward Prickett
    Marina blue (right?) '67 BB w/ side exhaust, very nice! Any under the hood pics?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15. None that are not wrong sided - yet. Warranty block 427. Yes 67. Power windows, telescopic steering wheel, tinted glass, power steering. Am/fm. F41. Yes Marina blue with a blue interior. A sweet running car.

16. wards70

wards70 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Full Name:
    Ward Prickett
    Nice midyear, enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17. Thank you Ward, Chris & all that have responded & sent pms.

18. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Nice car! I have so much fun in mine...its like a time warp.

19. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    Nice car. One of my favorite colors, and favorite years. With a CE block you don't have to worry about paying something for a car that isn't true. Nobody ever faked a CE block.

20. That was my thought too. I was hoping I could find a tank sticker, but the gas tank is new so that won't happen. I got it from a long term owner, close to 20 years, and his record/reciept keeping was just not a priority. Luckily his upkeep was.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Awesome car! Congrats.

Bill

EarlyCat likes this.
  22. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Beautiful car and color combo Joey!!! 67 big block convertible is my favorite corvette! (although JMN's car sounds pretty darn awesome as well)

Does a "warranty block" mean the car is worth less (i.e. likely a better car to buy to drive vs. trying to win show trophies?) Why were there warranty blocks- I did a quick search on google and there are a bunch of threads on warranty blocks on various corvette sites- without sifting through all that, were there common replacement motors due to a manufacturing defect? People/kids blowing motors from racing and over-rev?

EarlyCat and of2worlds like this.
  23. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Warranty replacement blocks (denoted by a CE on the engine stamping pad) do have a lesser value than a true numbers matching car, but more than a car with a flat out non matching block. It's kind of a gray area. If all the paperwork is in place regarding the replacement for the most part it isn't that big of a discount ($). Similarly it's possible to find a CE block with a appropriate date code and drop it in a car and try to pass it off as something it really wasn't (SB car now becomes a BB car overnight) because people are more apt to believe in the warranty story. Again, a lot of this boils down to paperwork.

Blocks got replaced for many reasons, over zealous owners, failed oil pumps, shadetree mods and drag racing, overheating, any number of reasons.

EarlyCat likes this.
  24. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    That all makes sense to me- thanks for the explanation!