Wrestling with my Dino | FerrariChat

Wrestling with my Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by need4speed, Aug 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Hi Guys,

I experienced something really strange the other day with my steering. It felt like it was binding up. Usually, the steering is light and smooth. That day, it felt extremely stiff. As if it didn't want to change course.

The conditions for that day were as follows. Hot 100+ degrees. Just under an hour of driving on winding roads and on freeway. When on freeway and driving straight ahead, minor corrections would meet a lot of resistance at the wheel. Additional force would be required but this caused over correction and correction would be needed in the opposite direction. This resulted in a see-sawing effect with the car rocking from side to side. Not very secure feeling.

On the winding road, it was very difficult to set up a corner smoothly. Is something in the Dino steering system sensitive to heat? The reason I ask that is because I've since driven the car and she steered beautifully. But it was at 5AM and the temperature was considerably cooler. And no traffic.

My shop replaced my old steering rack with a unit from a 308 a few years ago, if that matters.

Thanks for any inputs,

Manny

PS. On the plus side of that experience, I know my car won't overheat. I was stuck in road construction in the 100+ temperature and my car sat rock steady at about 210 for water. Idling for over 15 minutes. I'm ready for Monterey.