Wow - Volt doesn't make top 10 green car list! | FerrariChat

Wow - Volt doesn't make top 10 green car list!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by troy_wood, Feb 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
  2. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Thanks for posting, interesting article.

I suppose I understand why they consider the Volt a bit different than the typical hybrids from Toyota & Honda, but I think it's unfair to completely remove all mileage credit given from the electric engine on it. Seems to me the Volt would be given it's electric mileage in addition to its gasoline mileage as that is how the car operates! Maybe you CAN start it up and drive off without charging it via the outlet, but who is going to do that? They gave the other hybrids full Gas-Electric mileage credit because it's a distinct advantage in technology. Volt MPG numbers show between 70-110 MPG based on different journalism reportings.

Not to mention, it's much safer to drive a hybrid gas-electric car than one with a hydrogen fuel cell...as hydrogen is HUGELY explosive in the event of an accident!

3. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I wonder if they calculated the environmental impact of the battery packs used in the hybrids.

To me an efficient gas or diesel would end up being a better choice. The Ford Fiesta for example gets basically the same highway mileage as a Civic Hybrid, but there is no battery pack to dispose of every 100,000 miles.

4. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    Did you read the story or just assume? 4th paragraph:

The problem is as a gas car the mileage sucks. Hauling around all those batteries ain't free.

5. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Indeed. Within the constraints defined by the car, it's a great thing IMHO, but it's a poor choice for a long distance driver.

I personally question the "official" split of approximately 1/3 gasoline operation. I can't imagine buying the car if I expected to run it on gasoline 1/3 of the time.

I've test driven two of them and they are amazing pieces of engineering. They make no economic sense but neither does a Ferrari, right? My usage pattern would have me at 90%+ electric operation. I'm really tempted for no other reason than I think they are very cool and all the rebates and incentives make them pretty cheap to lease.

6. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    #6 troy_wood, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    It's not about making a car with batteries to get praise and sales via the environmental cannon - GM failed to take a holistic approach in the development of this car. Where it came from, where it's going to and the footprint it left in-between.

7. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    I did read it, thanks for asking. I should have been more specific, I suppose, in my explanation that I doubt highly that people will not charge the car overnight and will simply put the key in and go gas only. If I purchased the car, I would make every possible effort to keep the gas engine off in its entirety every time I drove it. I agree hauling around electric batteries isn't ideal, but they actually propel the car forwards, so the weight is offset. As per the same article, at around 40 MPG highway the equivalent Cruze gets almost identical gas mileage as the Volt in gas only mode.

I agree, the 1/3 split seems unfair. Most people will use this car for reasonably limited distances at which the electric motor will be sufficient.