Worth trading? | FerrariChat

Worth trading?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by clair, Jun 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clair

clair Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Hi
    I own a Series 1 250 GT PF Coupe in excellent condition here in Canada. I have been offered an even swap with a like condition 1973 246 GTS Dino.
    I love the shape of the Dino but adore the elegance and V12 of the Coupe. 2 years ago I would have done the swap - now, I'm not so sure.
    What are your thoughts?
    Clair

2. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    aren't series 1 pf coupes me expensive than dinos???

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Maybe not anymore but myself I'd hold onto that v12, man......

Dinos are pretty but hard to work on and parts are getting harder to find than for YOUR car I'd think..

Any other thoughts?

4. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    No question for me, keep the 250PF Coupe! If someone was offering you a 250PF Cabriolet, well then I would say yes I probably would, but I wouldn't trade it for a dino, as nice as Dinos are...

-Jarrett

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i have three dino gts's. if a really nice 250 pf coupe came along, i would trade, they are very different cars, but they are both really nice and equally valued.

6. jusdriveit

jusdriveit Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    Drive the Dino, that should make the decesion easy.
    Good luck!
    Mark

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    A no brainer for me... I'd keep the PF coupe.

john

8. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    PF is more valuable, rarer, has more wow factor.

Dino probably drives better.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For me the PF Coupe is the keeper.

9. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    ...and Clair please post photos of your PF and the serial number so we can all take a look !

Cheers

Darren.

10. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    2 years ago that might have been a fair trade, but it's probably no longer an even-money swap. All the 250s are really moving up in price.

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

250 PF Coupe = $130K
    246GTS = $118K

according to the Ferrari Market Letter

Both USD. Although I know nothing about the 250 Market, I can tell you that $118K is a great price for a nice complete 246GTS with books and tools, only needing cosmetic work. In fact, that price is a pipe dream for a really good car.

Parts for Dinos are easy to come by. Probably easier than the 250. Lots of sources.

Maintenance - who knows. half the cylinders will not = 1/2 the price, that's for sure.

Having said all that, and having only ogled the 250's at shows, I'd maybe swap my Dino for a real nice one. Course, my Dino is a GT, but it is about PERFECT, (and I'm not being immodest, I don't think.)

Dave M.

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Would love to see some photos of your car.

john

13. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    ain't 130K the price for a series 2 coupe, i tougth series1 where more expensive than series 2

14. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Series 1 do carry a small premium but neither series of PF Coupe (in good condition) can be found for $130k.

I would say $150k - $175k is nearer market price for a GOOD car regardless of whether its S1 or S2.

All the more reason to not do the swap.

15. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I agree with djaffrey. But why does a s.1 command a premium over s.2? S.2 is a better car in several ways.

16. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    I'd Keep the Pf if ya ask me,V-12,Classy styling,cooler ride.just my opinion.

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ed,

The S1 is basically a TDF chassis. In this case drivability is not a plus. We live in a strange world.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. my vote is for the PF coupe, nothing of equal or lesser value comes close.

18. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I have the is debate with John V every once in a while and we always agree to disagree :)

S1 has that 1950's cachet and is eligible for Drum Brake events should you want to track it (perhaps unlikley). As also noted chassis wise it is identical to one of the greatest cars ever produced by the Factory (imho).

S2 has more powerful engine, overdrive and MUCH better brakes. As Ed notes it is unquestionably the better drive.

But its horses for courses and frankly both series are wonderful to my mind.

Darren

19. lesliewales

lesliewales Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Hi Clair
    I have just posted pictures of my 250 GT PF coupe #1463 on a different thread, and I saw that you replied. I am in the enviable position of owning both the cars of which you speak.
    I have owned this vehicle for 30 years and have also owned a 246 Dino in one format or another since 1974. In fact, I still own a 246 GT Dino that I have had for 20 years.

Speaking from personal experience vis-a-vis the 2 cars - I can tell you that whilst the Dino is an attractive, pretty and voluptuous bodied car, and a joy to drive, to compare it to the 250GT PF Coupe is nearly impossible. The 250 is a different level of class of vehicle altogether, with classic and elegant Ferrari lines and that incredible V12 engine. Whilst I love the Dino and am an owner, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone else on these web boards, it is obvious to me that the Dino was built for a younger age group with budget restraints. The 250 PF Coupe, in comparison, was hand made with passion and a certain disregard to budgetary constraints. The difference is clearly evident. I am certain, in my personal opinion, that you would regret the trade.

In fact, I would be delighted to trade my Dino for your PF Coupe - yours would be amongst friends in my garage!!

Best regards,
    Les

20. lesliewales

lesliewales Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Hi Clair
    I have just posted pictures of my 250 GT PF coupe #1463 on a different thread, and I saw that you replied. I am in the enviable position of owning both the cars of which you speak.
    I have owned this vehicle for 30 years and have also owned a 246 Dino in one format or another since 1974. In fact, I still own a 246 GT Dino that I have had for 20 years.

Speaking from personal experience vis-a-vis the 2 cars - I can tell you that whilst the Dino is an attractive, pretty and voluptuous bodied car, and a joy to drive, to compare it to the 250GT PF Coupe is nearly impossible. The 250 is a different level of class of vehicle altogether, with classic and elegant Ferrari lines and that incredible V12 engine. Whilst I love the Dino and am an owner, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone else on these web boards, it is obvious to me that the Dino was built for a younger age group with budget restraints. The 250 PF Coupe, in comparison, was hand made with passion and a certain disregard to budgetary constraints. The difference is clearly evident. I am certain, in my personal opinion, that you would regret the trade.

In fact, I would be delighted to trade my Dino for your PF Coupe - yours would be amongst friends in my garage!!

Best regards,
    Les

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Agreed that the PF should be the choice,
    but Dinos are fantastic to drive also.

Disagree that Dinos are hard to work on nor that parts are hard to come by. There are several cottage industries (dinoparts.com, sperformance, Rutlands, etc) make it very easy to get mechanical replacements. Dino shares many lights and electrical with other cars.
    Six cylinders means a savings in maintenace over a 12 cyl car