World's Fastest Bike ? | FerrariChat

World's Fastest Bike ?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Miura Jota, Feb 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    what do YOU think is the fastest motorcycle of them all?
    in the meantime look at this ZX12

for all bike nuts out there, enjoy these pics of the claimed "world's fastest bike"
    that red ragtop ain't bad either uh?
    http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/226132/
    http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/226123/

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/144960/

or does that title belong to the mighty Hayabusa ? http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/228013/

P.S. that kind of hyperbikes have more HP than kilograms isn't that insane?

2. Goose

Goose Karting

Nov 10, 2004
    Kent, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Maybe ZX-14.

3. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #3 Lemke, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    I guess it depends on what you are looking for. The ZX-12 and Hayabusa (and most likely the ZX-14 as well) are electronically limited to roughly 186 mph...bone stock.

I remember many years back a Mr. Turbo ZX-11 ran 230ish on a high speed run, I'm sure they can do better than that now...

Larry

5. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    230mph on a bike!! That must have been scary.

6. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    Narrow it down to street legal, and it will be easier. I believe that more than one turboBusa (street legal) has gone 0-250+ mph in a mile (Scott Guthrie = 251.147 mph at Goliad TX, and Lee Shierts = 250.006 & Guthrie = 251.148 at Maxton NC) in the past couple years. I believe these figures are accurate as I Googled them.

7. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Ask Vesco... oh wait you cant...

well, there is an assault underway on the all out 2 wheeled speed record.

It takes up this March in OZ. Lake Graidner is the place. Like Bonneville, only at sea level. about 10% more HP due to air density.

anyway, the all out 2 wheeled record may be broken soon, with some luck, and if no one hits a roo on the 6 hour dirt road drive to the lake.

8. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    here is some more info on the Ack Attack

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/ack-attack/ack-index.html

P.S. I watched as this streamliner left the ground at ~300mph when a strong crosswind hit it. It was airborne and in a flat spin when it took out the 3 mile timing lights at 270mph. Jimmy Odom got out and walked away after a few heart stopping minutes.

doing this kind of thing is no joke.

9. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    I dont know who holds the highest non-streamlined two wheel record right now...

Booth, Noonan, Amo, or Guthrie... they trade off.

will have to look it up and see... I'll email Joe and find out.

"street legal" is a VERY loose term....

stock Busa's and 12's do about 170-180mph (unrestricted) out at Bonneville, depending on salt conditions and rider skill. VERY rarely you will see one push over 180-190. But thats pretty iffy in stock form.

those last few MPH's are a real bugger. :D

10. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith

no.

as far as I know, no one has run it through the traps. No "official" speed = not the fastest.

11. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    I believe I read an article about it spinning the tires at 200mph once....Not official, but I'm willing to believe something so aerodynamically ugly with a jet engine is the fastest "stock" bike!

12. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    #12 luke9583, Feb 11, 2006
  13. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Can't use the speed and I don't need to go that fast on a bike. I'll take a nice touring Harley and cruise the countryside.

14. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Not sure why any of you are claiming a stock production bike would be the worlds fastest.... In any case, fastest depends one your definition. Fastest bike around a track? or fastest in a straight line?

Fastest around the track will be the Yamaha M1, preferably ridden by Rossi

Fastest in a straight is tough. There has been a 253 mph record made by a turbo Busa, but that was limited to rear tire traction. I'd suspect a bike of sorts like Jay Lenos Jetbike wouldn't be nearly as limited when it came to traction, and might be able to beat that with a skilled rider (who knows?). But if it's restricted to conventionally powered motorcycles, then the Turbo Busa holds the current record. There are also a number of professional drag bikes that can annihilate the turbo busa's speed record, but they are not conventionally faired and therefore don't have stock aerodynamics (which puts them in a different record holding class)

If we're talking about production motorcycles, then that's alot tougher. The bikes from the big four are all similar in regards to there displacement categories, with outcomes depending on rider skill alone. In most cases the inline 4 liter's will be faster around the track; on very technical tracks the 600's can match or even outperform the liter's. The Busa won't be beating even the 600's on a track unless it's an oval, though the Busa will probably hold the highest top speed in a straight line, not due to engine characteristics, but aerodynamics.

In any case, the worlds fastest cars will always be faster than the worlds fastest motorcycles. Cars can have extremely good aerodynamics, 4 huge patches of rubber, the occupant doesn't dominate such a large percentage of vehicle weight, and the operation requires much less skill. Before anyone starts blabbering off about how an F1 racer practices just as hard as a MotoGP racer, Rossi can get into the cockpit of an F1 at any time and he won't be lapped very easily. An F1 driver mounting up an his M1 will most likely kill himself before he makes a lap time 1/2 the speed of any other racer out there (if he already knows how to ride).

15. Paul Vincent

Apr 3, 2004
    luke9583, I believe that at Maxton and Goliad the turboBusa got up to 250 mph is app. 25 seconds, and I'll wager that the turboBusa is quicker to 225 that that jetbike. Also, Kent Stotz ran 200.49 mph in 7.256 seconds in 2004 in Streetbike Shootout (street legal bikes - on a Honda XX Blackbird). From what I've read, jetbike isn't nearly as quick off the line as the reciprocating engine bikes. Maybe somebody with greater knowledge will reply and give a more authoritative answer.

16. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    I've also heard that the Jet bikes are pretty slow below 100

17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #17 msdesignltd, Feb 11, 2006
  18. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Not really... the viper bike is the most over rated piece of crap, and it never went close to 300 mph.

19. osuav8r

osuav8r Karting

Feb 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Alan
    That jetbike uses a turboshaft engine out of a helicopter to turn a transmission which in turn drives the rear wheel. It would run into similar traction problems at super high speed as the other bikes because it is wheel driven not thrust driven. It sure makes a lot of cool noise though.

20. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

On Paper it does, You must admit....From an engineering standpoint....its cool!

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I have no idea how fast it has gone or how fast it will go but by the rules in use at Bonneville it will not pass the test for being a "bike". It makes 4 tire tracks, that makes it a car.

22. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    this thread is getting interesting:
    let's divide bikes in 2 categories:

1 production bike in stock form (which narrows the contenders to 2 or 3)
    2 "everything goes" all modifications or weird projects allowed

I heard of some Hayabusa putting out 400+ HP is that true?

P.S. anyway never heard of a ZX14 , are you sure such a bike even exists? if so we need pics.

23. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells

That has 4 wheels though.

24. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    Aprilia RS 250 will go pretty darn fast around a track :) ........until it pops lol

25. Paul Vincent

Apr 3, 2004
    I believe that both Honda and Suzuki have made 500+ turbocharged hp without nitrous; Kurt Stotz for Honda, and Barry Henson for Suzuki and perhaps others. I am no expert on the subject. Throw in nitrous, and I believe that 700 hp has been reached and exceeded. If I am wrong, let me know. Also, that Viper engined monstrosity may have never exceeded 50-60 mph (if that) in real world testing. It's a boat anchor.