WOOHOOO!!! 125 down straight at Indy! | FerrariChat

WOOHOOO!!! 125 down straight at Indy!

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by LopeAlong, Jun 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hello all!
    Just got back from the FCA events at Indy. All capped off with a spirited drive around the F1 track! Way cool and I had my video camera poking out the top capturing every glorious lap! I thought my speedo might be a tad off, but the mph was verified by several in my group. Impressions? The silly double-back is way too slow. Now I know why the F1 guys hate it. The short straight is way too short. I don't see how anyone can pass there. I was really surprised how the car pushed out as you come out of the infield onto the banking. Once there, easy as pie! Pedal to the floor through the turn onto the straight. However, Ralph's ominous skid marks leading to the wall made me wonder if my BFG's were holding up better than the Mich's!

We had total access to the facility. I got a pic of me doing the Schumy jump on the podium and several pics of the pits and pit box (Ferrari's, of course!). Then a quick run to the track wall by the yard of bricks to take a video of the 333 screaming by! Man, I was on overload! Talked to a bunch of really nice folks this week. It was great to be in a group as wacked out about F-cars as I!

I better hit the rack. I've watched the track video 4 times and my wife is yelling at me!

Aloha!
    Jim

2. dasMafia

dasMafia Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2004
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    mmmmmmmmmmmm, 333s at full tilt........ **droooooool**

3. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds great, but did you take any pic's? and lets see that video!!!

4. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Let me rephrase....the 333 was doing about 80mph and nowhere near "full tilt" - unfortunately. However, he was up in the revs and that 12 sounded soooooo sweet! The gear whine underneath it all was just too cool!

Also, not subscribed so no pics. Sorry!

I also heard some grumbling about how the event was "....thrown together without much planning or organization." Not sure if these people were just the kind who are never pleased, or what. I would just like to give my congrats and thanks to all the guys and gals who put in the hours to make it a great experience for me - I had a blast! I thought they did a great job. With all the activities, coordination had to be a nightmare! A lot of these folks did not participate in some events because they were taking care of business. My hat is off to all of you. THanks again!

Jim

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How were the track events run?

I'm sure IRP was fully open like most track events. How is the IRP track?

For the Indy track the plans were for parade laps and no passing, although they were hoping you could open up a little once off the oval. 125 down the oval doesn't sound too much like a parade lap.

details details details!?! Thanks.

6. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sorry Rob, just got back from NY last night (late....). I've been gone for a few days.

Details: I was the first car (behind the pace car, a 355) of the first group to go out. After listening to the pace car driver's list of do's and dont's and "limited to 70mph", we set off. First lap around we stopped at the yard of bricks for individual pics. We then rolled down the front straight waiting for everyone to catch up. First time around at speed was pretty tame at about 80 down the straight. Second lap about 95. Third lap I was grabbing my camera coming out onto the banking and I noticed the pace car was gone! I dropped the camera, took a high line, perfect apex (my opinion...cough, cough) and flat out onto the straight. My speedo said 140+, but as I said it reads high. The guys behind said they were doing 125ish to keep up. I was giggling like a little kid! Watching the pole, yard of bricks, and pagota flash by was a huge rush! I felt like I was on hallowed ground! (I was!) It was just the best experience I have ever had in a car! I "tried" many of the turns in the infield section to the limits of my tires. Makes you appreciate just how good the race cars are. It may have been boring to the guys who regularly track their cars or race. I raced karts years ago and drag raced for many years. None of that ever compaired to this. I heard that we were the only car club/organization/event/etc., EVER allowed to go over 35 mph on the track - in the history of the track. So now I am part of Indy history! Pretty cool stuff! And you know what? I did not even equal Ascari's speed in 1952!

In the afternoon the real racers got to open it up on a makeshift track encompasing the back straight and sections of the F1 infeild. I was already heading home with a smile that I still can't get off my face.

Oh, on a side note... Some suits from the track were running a Mercedes wagon like the safety car they use in the race (not sure of the model, I'm not a MB guy). They were running some VIPs around the track while the Ferraris were out. Let me tell you, not even close! Some of the groups were really cooking around the track. The Mercedes was huffing, but not keeping up!

What a day! If anyone knows the driver of the pace car, I have a video from behind that I will send him. I never caught up with him after the laps. I rigged up my video camera so it stuck out the top of the car. Great shots with the only drawback of lots of wind noise. So much so that it completely blocks out my engine noise !!#%$#!^%$&!!!!! Oh well.....maybe I'll just plug in some F1 V10!

Jim

7. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    very very cool, lets see that video!