Wondering what insurance looks like... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wondering what insurance looks like...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ybl84f1, Jul 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ybl84f1

ybl84f1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steve Engelbrecht
    Just as a follow-up, I called my State Farm rep (thx @MerlinAZ) with whom I have my other vehicles (except the Corvette) and they quoted a reasonable $980/yr, which I went with. Maybe I could have shaved a few bucks off somewhere else but I just wanted to get it done before I took possession of the car and it was getting tight. (I'll probably revisit all my vehicle insurance next year as I'll be dropping one vehicle insurance coverage as one of my kids pays for their own [yee-ha] and consolidate the Vette with the rest).

Thanks for all the great responses.

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm not sure what the details were but always go AGREED VALUE with these cars. The last thing you want to do is get in a value war with an insurance company if the worst happens. I personally use Grundy. I will be upping it this year, but I have my 360 valued at $80k and my C5 Z06 valued at $25k and the premiums have been $1300/year. Thankfully no claims, but I have heard good things.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Fire looks like this.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sam Grundy not only insures my extremely-difficult-to-insure Pur Sang Bugatti, but restored it after this fire.

Matt

020147 likes this.
  4. G8TD

G8TD Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Same situation here, last year with my 360. Hagerty didn't like that I might want to drive 4K miles per year (I had no idea that would even matter). Mike hooked me up with the same insurance guy (and I'm in TX). It was painless. I would have happily paid double since I really didn't know what to expect.

This thread brought up some great points on coverage. I'll be diving in deeper at renewal time.

5. ERIC ANDERSON

ERIC ANDERSON Rookie

May 3, 2020
    Cleveland, OH
    Full Name:
    Eric Anderson
    I run auto insurance for a major insurer. It’s important to understand what coverage is provided. The companies that insure your regular cars (e.g. State Farm, Geico, Progressive) do not typically offer Agreed Value coverage. In the event of a total loss you will not get the full value for a collectible car like a Ferrari. Also, their policy contracts enable them to use non-OEM parts.

Conversely a specialized collector car policy will offer agreed value coverage, diminution in value if your car is damaged, and OEM parts. These policies typically come with a mileage restriction (e.g., 2k miles). Coverage is provided for you and your spouse, but no one else (note that “regular” insurance offers permissive use). In short, when insuring an exotic car you want the specialized collector auto type policy unless you intend to use the car as a daily driver. Lastly, this type of policy is far less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. ybl84f1

ybl84f1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steve Engelbrecht

Good info Eric & describes pretty much what I saw between the two categories of insurance companies. To me this is a business where its really difficult to compare companies' products because the documentation is so obtuse. There's a lot of focus on "Agreed Value" which is important if the car is totaled, but the much more common case is your car getting damaged and not totaled. Then you get into endless list of scenarios and wonder if/how they're covered, like (previously mentioned) if a valet or mechanic was moving the car, damaged on a transport, what happens if you exceed the mileage cap (is your coverage reduced or voided?), will original OEM parts be used or do you have the option at your expense, who picks the repair shop, etc. A friend of mine has 5 classics in a barn garage and Grundy told them (this was several years ago) that the cars were not covered in the case of an electrical fire (so they've been with Haggerty ever since).

My coverage details from State Farm for the F430 pretty much looks like the same one-page summary as my regular cars. They did ask me the car value, and there is listed an additional "Vehicle Value" field but it doesn't specifically say "Agreed Value". I'm not even sure if it has to say those exact words and if those exact words imply some other legal meaning. (BTW I don't think it does - I think Haggerty uses "Guaranteed Value"). I did specifically ask and they told me that they (State Farm) can use aftermarket parts but I could pay the difference for original OEM parts, but thinking about how this might work in reality it feels like that could turn into a lot of long phone calls and disagreements on what quality/brand aftermarket parts they would pay for (i.e. the absolute cheapest), the cost (list price, their "negotiated cost", etc.) and the difference that I'd be responsible for.

Again the case where the vehicle is a total loss is easy; in the case of a damaged vehicle I'd love to hear from folks that feel they have a total understanding of what damage exactly is and isn't covered, how repairs would be estimated and completed (part and repair facility selection) on the process or approach they used to compare insurance companies.

7. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I think what you are missing is that most collectible insurance which has "agreed value" also has "diminished value". If someone hits your F430 and causes 20k in damage, you will have a carfax report now. This will hit your car more than just the 20k in repairs and good luck suing the other person's insurance company. Many have a policy about not paying diminished value and you will not find a lawyer who wants to take the case on something like a F430 because they won't make enough money on the case. If you had a new F8 maybe they would take the case or if you owned an exotic rental company and will go after them for loss of use.