With my F12, small issue with the buttons in the cockpit | FerrariChat

With my F12, small issue with the buttons in the cockpit

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by NYKSwiss, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYKSwiss

NYKSwiss Karting

Jan 10, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Stephan
    My beloved F12 is in meantime 4 years old, she is amazing. I live in HK where we have hot and humid weather. I have a small issue with some of the cockpit buttons (for example on the steering wheel), the display on the buttons started to look worn and some tiny sticky liquid is show on the side of some of the buttons.. Has anyone experienced it? Will address this issue at the next service, just odd. Otherwise love this car...

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Its a common problem with older Ferrari, but not heard of it in a 4 year old car.
    There is a company called sticky no more that deal with sticky Ferrari buttons but you have to remove them and send them to them, I have no idea how hard this would be on an F12.
    Lets us know how you get on, it sounds expensive to replace them.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I can't believe this is still an issue with Ferrari.

Mighty Joe likes this.
  4. richierobs

richierobs Rookie

Oct 7, 2016
    FF owner in Dubai here, where we also have hot and humid weather, and "sticky buttons" too.
    It's the soft touch rubber coating applied to some buttons and plastics that degrades over time leaving behind a sticky residue. (It's not just Ferrari buttons, I've also had remote controls and other items suffer the same fate).
    In my 2012 FF, the panel with the reverse, launch and auto buttons was particularly bad, so I started looking for independent garages/workshops that could fix it. I found several here in Dubai, and discovered that the problem is not only limited to Ferrari.

My FF was in the dealer for the annual service when Ferrari said they could fix the sticky buttons/plastics and that the work would be guaranteed.

I accepted their offer and they did a good job. I think the car was in the dealer for a week, and when it came back, the buttons and panels looked like new and have not been sticky since.

You may find sticky buttons are common in HK also, in which case, there might be independent garages/workshops that can fix it.
    Or perhaps Ferrari Hong Kong can refurbish those buttons/panels and guarantee the work, which is useful in case it happens again in future.

Best of luck

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. NYKSwiss

NYKSwiss Karting

Jan 10, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Stephan
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I guess I was just surprised as the quality of the F12 otherwise is so good. I'll have it fixed at the next annual service. Regarding Dubai I am there often nowadays also - How long have you been there? There is a chance I spend a few month per year in Dubai going forward.