Wisconsin to crush 2 Nissan GTRs | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wisconsin to crush 2 Nissan GTRs

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by xs10shl, May 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2009
    Bristol, CT
    Ok, some people are confused. Motorex was essentially a broker for the Skylines when they operated. They did ZERO of the work to legalize them. JK Technologies handled all that work and they are the only registered importer that can legally modify Skylines to the US specs. Now as for which ones are legal. The R33 is the only one that was crash tested and had the modifications designed to make it legal. The issue with the R32's and R34's is that Motorex deemed it too expensive to crash test those two generations on top of doing the R33's. So what Motorex did is claim that ANY Skyline they brought into the US was an R33. The goverment caught on eventually and shut them down. After that debacle, JK Technologies will not touch a Skyline. So we have to wait for the 25 year rule.

The other operation was Kaizo. They tryed to get around importation laws by stripping the cars down to bare shells in Japan and shipping all the parts seperatly. They would then reassemble them in the US and register them as kit cars, which netted them a special VIN. This also went down poorly with the goverment as ICE and DHS shut them down.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think the only R33s that can be imported is the 1995. I'm not sure the 1996-1998 ones can be...maybe it was because of OBDII and some airbag systems they needed after 1995.

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Lots of good info guys and as I mentioned it has been 2-3yrs since I spoke with NHTSA and most likely forgot alot of very important details so I am going to contact them tomorrow just for the sake of getting the truth as it stands in 2012.