Wisconsin to crush 2 Nissan GTRs | FerrariChat

Wisconsin to crush 2 Nissan GTRs

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by xs10shl, May 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
  2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Have you ever been told "It is not what you say but how you say it"? Do you need a hug?

The R33 is legal for import into the US, ask me how I know, but if an entity (owner) does not meet their personal obligation they are at fault.

Hmmm "Sleep safely"? Is that in reference to imported cars while parents keep purchasing US built hi-po cars for their under experienced high school graduates? Oh great leave the the LE community too scrape their remains off the road or from the car for a closed casket funeral.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The courts should assign the Juvies to those duties as a community service/repayment.

4. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Sorry, my sarcasm is probably best suited for P&R. I could be more explicit about this topic, but as the saying goes, if you can't say anything nice . . .

Point being is that my homeland security tax dollars are funding this nonsense.

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Actually it just comes down to being able to communicate with others in a respectfull manner, maybe you do not know how to do this? If that is the case the replies you recieve are fundamentaly appropriate.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Where did you see that?

The states have been after illegal grey market cars for years, well before 9/11, Bush II and Tom Ridge/Homeland Security.

7. 2000 CVPI

2000 CVPI Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Maitland, FL
    Full Name:
    Alex H.
    Why can't we have import laws that aren't completely failtastic? Just about every other country has import laws that allow their citizens to import cars with a minimum of fuss. We're the land of the free unless you want to import a car that wasn't sold here.

8. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Whoops, my bad. I remember reading the DOT-DHS connection a few years ago when a tipster turned Zampolli in for having a Cizetta in the country for too long. Perhaps I remembered incorrectly.

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I recently imported a British race car and found it OK but the car will never see the street. Bringing in a street car is way difficult. I do think the restrictions are largely driven by the manufacturer lobby trying to control importation that hurts their market. Safety might be arguable, as might be emissions, but I think both arguments are pretty weak. That said, the owner should have known better, and I bet he has a history of importing cars illegally and this was just the end of the line.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Since the car isnt legal, why not allow the owner to have it as a race car only and give him a fine (after all, the state needs to take money...)? Why crush 2 cars that are worth a lot of money into 0 value???

11. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Its heard all the time on the internet, the Nissan Skyline is illegal in the USA. To the layperson, they may hear this and take it as gospel. It used to be you would hear its illegal because it is right hand drive. You would hear that it is illegal because it was too fast. Neither of which is true. Here is the true reason that the Nissan Skyline is illegal in the US, Mercedes Benz North America.

What does Mercedes Benz have to do with a Nissan Skyline? Picture yourself as Mercedes Benz North America, the official distributor of Mercedes Benz. As the distributor you setup the dealer networks, handle parts and warranty, import the cars, setup pricing, and make money off each Mercedes Benz sold in the US. Enter the “gray market” cars. Gray market cars are cars that are imported, but not though official distributors. The gray market cars don’t have a warranty, they are not supported by a dealer network, but here is what they are……CHEAPER. In the consumer driven dollar and cents market place, the cheaper car, is the one the consumer wants.

In December 1984, Time Magazine published this article about gray market luxury cars. In the article, they mention that the change in the dollars value via the exchange rate, can mean up to a $12,000 savings for a buyer of an imported gray market car, vs a model purchased at a US dealer. They mention that as many as 50,000 automobiles could have been brought into the US in 1985.

http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2011/03/this-is-reason-nissan-skyline-is.html

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Huh, where does Mercedes come in? Does the author realize that Mercedes could also be imported on the gray market? Nissan also had a dealer network in the US. It comes down to Nissan didn't make it legal for the US market's stricter regulations.

There are far better articles about this out there, that go much more in depth.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

Select: List of Nonconforming Vehicles Eligible for Importation and scroll to page 17. I did not just Google/Wiki this info but actually spoke with a rep at the NHTSA concerning importing an R33 GTR.

14. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The law in this case is just plain stupid. Is it actually illegal to possess one of these cars in the U.S.? Is it like a controlled substance? I can understand not allowing someone to title or drive the car but to not allow them to even possess the car is a little draconian.

15. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
  16. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Yes, I skipped the part about actually reading beyond the first paragraph. Saw "felony", "grey-market", "zero-tolerance", "crush", "federal". Assumed the worst. Eating crow.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There actually is a display/show import status available through proper channels. There's an Aston DB7 Zagato, not U.S.-road-legal, that is here on those papers now.

The bozo in the article just decided to ignore the law and sell a couple of illegal cars online. Crushing the cars is cheaper than taxpayers supporting him in prison, so IMHO Wisconsion voters got a good deal here.

18. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    crushing the car is absurd. let the govt sell it at auction to a foreign buyer who will pay to ship it out

19. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Stories like this (and there are a few) are asinine. As a lawyer, I accept the fact that some laws are worthy of repeal. As an economist, this is pure waste. As a practical, pragmatic citizen, I am upset that any tax dollars might be going to the prosecution of this (not a WI resident, however).

Anyway, it's just ridiculous. I'm not saying the guy should be able to register the cars on the streets of WI, BUT it does seem like he found a legitimate loophole and exploited it. And, once the authorities became aware, they slammed him for it. To clever by half?

There is an interesting case of an Audi RS6 (the C6 model) being imported from MEX through New Mexico, where a title was issued. Audi never imported the car and never crash tested it for the DOT. Further, the only other C6 RS6 I am aware of was on an Audi NA manufacturer plate for the Audi NA CEO. The car was exported after the CEO was done with it. Anyway, it makes me wonder whatever came of the New Mexico-titled RS6.

CW

20. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    I saw a Nissan Skyline right hand drive car at cars and coffee sunday morning.

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That might have been *slightly* more relevant in 1984...

Yup.

If people would bother to read the article, its implied that the owner of this car probably had a history of issues with the state and this was a 'last straw' type situation.

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Take a deep breath and relax ok!

The R33 is the only Skyline that can be imported for "road use" in the US after it recieves its certification.

23. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    Only a couple more years and we will be able to bring r32s over legally.

24. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    R33s are technically legal, if brought in and "legalized" by an authorized importer. The problem now is that the only authorized importer for Skylines, MotoRex, has been out of business for years.

I think the US laws are ridiculous. The government should have NO SAY in what cars I am allowed to own if they aren't operated on public roads. The "show and display" process is complicated and even so, there are several cars that are specifically excluded.

25. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Now I'm confused as the link I provided earlier is proof and MotoRex was not the only shop that can import JDM cars. Google is your friend.