Will Engine Run Smoothly On Only Front Bank? | FerrariChat

Will Engine Run Smoothly On Only Front Bank?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Dec 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I know it will not run smoothly on the rear bank of cylindars because one of the connectors came loose just dangling there. Almost undriveabel. Recently, however, after warm up the car, and although running quite smootlhy, had WAY low power. Then suddenly ran normal as if four more cylindars kicked in.

1) One possibility crossed my mind: That there might be a timing retard temperature sensor.

2) Another possibility is the front bank of cylindars simply has an intermittent bad connector. I have jiggled them around but still experience a short power drop off once in a while of very short duration. The ignition modules are not all that expensive and wonder if it is worth while just switching it out.

3) On the other hand I know there are a series of timing sensors that might be a problem. Are these sensors difficult to replace?

Even if the problem becomes permanent there probably would not be an issue of needing a tow to get home, and it happens rarely to begin with. Just wonder if anyone else has had such a problem?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I guess that we can assume that it's a Mondial -- but what model/year/version?

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    1986 QV coupe US spec

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I realize that, if you are not located in the US, sometimes "year" in the ownership documentation gets changed into something other than "US model year", but there aren't any 1986 US model year Mondial QV. If you go to Welcome to Red Headed, you should be able to decode your VIN to determine your actual US model year.

However, since you call it a "QV", it probably does have the DigiPlex ignition system as used on all 1980-1985 US Mondial -- and that system does have a lot of places/ways that one bank can lose ignition while the other bank stays running. If you do a search on "TDC flywheel sensor", you should get a fair amount of prior threads where people have reported/discussed the same trouble.

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Steve

My appologies for inadequate identification. I live in the US. The logo on the back of the car reads Mondial 3.2 QV. The door sticker lists March 1986 manufacture date, and the emision sticker in the engine compartment lists California Spec 1986. Registration is 1986.

I will search on TDC flywheel sensor as you suggest. However, I know the car woud hardly run when the front bank was entirely disconnected by the dangling connector. Yet in these latest episodes the car ran entirely smoothly without bucking, chuging or other indications to me one entire bank of the car engine was not firing. Just very low power that suddenly re-emerged.

And so I speculate there may be a larger timing issue but since I do not know these things I am hoping someone might explain how it could run so smoothly yet so weekly. Hence the question whether the entire front bank failing would be any smoother then the entire rear bank failing which made the car almost undriveable. Thanks to all who might have some speculations on the matter.

My research so far indicates there is such a thing as a 'timing switch' but not enough elaboration on what or where that is or what it does. I hope my search on TDC flywheel sensor will elaborate but I am open to any and all speculation.

Once again Thanks!

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Which is a great reason for filling out the user profile (general geographic location) to include basic info about the car/s e.g. year, model, build spec (US, UK, AU...), etc.

Saves a bunch of back and forth posts upfront. ;)

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Then try searching on "MicroPlex" (it has fewer ways to lose a single bank, but still possible).

8. BAturb

BAturb Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Short answer, yes, it will run all day very smooth running on only front bank of cylinders, my Mondial had a cracked rotor button in the distributor, and lost spark to the entire rear bank, still ran smooth and had no power, before it stopped completely, it ran rough to smooth intermittently, could be something that simple

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    After reading up on my 3.2 I learned (maybe):

1) It has a single timing sensor.
    2) It probably has a limp home mode.

One possibility is the car is slipping into limp home mode from time to time due to bad timing sensor connector or bad sensor itself. The problem is so rare, and the car is so drivable when it happens I plan to wait till the very intermittent problem becomes more chronic.

I have gone half barking dog mad at times with intermittent problems. I remember my Z-28 battery would go dead if left sitting for a week or two on business trip. Turns out the hood light never went off. One of the few times I took the car to the POTC GM shop(Pirates Of The Caribbean - DC Branch Office) and they managed to find it right away. I can tell you why my reluctance to use these people for anything.

Specifically, I took my 5 liter Z-28 HO 5 speed to Summit Point for track day and got fuel starvation in second gear. Took the car to POTC and was firmly told my 5 liter, HO Z-28 5 speed was not intended for such driving and forget about it.

I determined the in-carb itty bitty fuel filter that quadrajets alway have had now had a return fuel check valve restricting the flow. A sharp pencil fixed the problem. GM subsequently had a recall and fixed the problem by adding a SECOND fuel pump in the gas tank to jack up the pressure. I never bothered.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't know about the Mondial, but my '86 328 will run perfectly smooth on one bank, except for the technicality it is still dumping gas in the down bank and as that goes through the exhaust system everything will shortly turn to lava and within minutes your car will catch on fire.

Not sure if Mondial has better design where the fuel stops to the down bank?

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Our mechanical constant flow fuel injection, to my knowledge, does not have a 'single bank' cut off, though I may be wrong. Assuming there is no single bank cut off I now have some evidence my car is going in and out of limp home mode.

Why do I come to this conclusion? One time this problem apparently lasted from start-up to full warm with a total of about 5-10 minutes. Much of that was at full throttle up hill at 4,000 rpm in fourth gear which is when I noticed how weak was the engine power.

And why did I not notice this problem earlier? One reason may be the timing map I noticed during my research. The very bottom map shows very little timing advance below 3,500 rpm OR above. In fact, ALL of the other timing maps show a sudden timing bump at 3,500 rpm.

Accordingly, just driving along with light throttle shifting at even 3,000 rpm on level road might not be all that noticeable. And now into a non-sequitor: Why the odd timing curve? I have done lots of timing on my suppercharged cars and in every case these cars could vigorously tolerate lots more timing below 3,000 rpm then above. So I installed a boost timing retard system

One of the things about the Ferrari engine that has baffelled me from the beginning is the relatively smooth torgue curve all the way down and all the way up. One way to smooth out the timing curve, while still leaving full power at the top is to torgue manage through timing methods at lower rpms. Front wheel drive cars often, I believe, do torgue management through timing to reduce torgue steer on hard take-off and at hard shift out of first gear. Another reason for short timing might be emissions control in the test loop.

One thing I did not notice during my full throttle at 4,000 rpm was any sort of rotten egg smell from rich condition. Further, I did not notice flames or smoke or untword fumes of any sort issuing from the rear of the vehicle.

Just speculation - till I get full failure and can reliably diagnose the problem without a lot of curse words. I am just pulling speculation out my butt, but speculation did Isaac Newton little harm.

12. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    PS More Speculation

The two valve Porche of the era had a VERY pronounce torgue jump at about 3,000 rpms. Disconcertingly and potentially dangerously so. A smooth transistion to full cam power is very much a good way to help provide docile handling characteristics.

I love playing like Isaac Newton!

13. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #13 ME308, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    don`t overthink things ;)

on a 3.2 engine the number 1 reason for an intermittent cylinder bank cut out is a failure of the black ignition module BKL3B on top of each coil pack

if the culprit would be a tdc or rpm sensor, the engine would not run at all

so change the BKL3B module (you`d better get one more to carry as a spare)

and report back ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi ME308,

I do over think things but find it fun to do and appreciate critical commentary as part of the package. The problem has not recured but if it becomes a serious inconvenience I might simply replace both units if I can not isolate which bank is misbehaving.

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Had a similar problem in my 87. Replaced the spark plugs wires (I did not have records of any wire replacement in my car, so who knows how old they were). During replacement the shop found that the wire going from a coil to a distributor cap was really bad. Once it and all the other wires were replaced (if one goes bad you can expect other to go bad also) it was like a new car.

If the new wires did not solve my problem my next step was to follow Mike's advice and replace the modules.

Good luck.

17. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I Love This Forum! My own speculative ramblings lead to an actual plan of action.

Thanx Guys!