Why Pick an High-Priced Exotic over a GT-R? | FerrariChat

Why Pick an High-Priced Exotic over a GT-R?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Honorsystem, Mar 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Honorsystem

Honorsystem Rookie

Mar 29, 2008
    Humor me for a bit, as I need some valid answers for a paper I'm writing for a Journalism class I'm taking. Disclaimer: This is in no way meant to incite any flame wars, I'm not bad mouthing anything, just trying to get some answers from the people who know best :)

With the U.S. launch of the Nissan GT-R just around the corner, and comparatively bargain priced speedsters abound already (Z06/ soon-to-be ZR1, Viper/Viper ACR, etc), Why is it that people choose to buy Ferrari 612's and Lamborghini LP640 (and similar ilk) when there are cars that are rather similar in performance numbers for a $100,000 (or more) lower in price?

Give me your thoughts, please, they will all be very much appreciated, and with your answers, I do need a few things because I need to be able to attribute any quotations I use.
    1.Name (First and Last please)
    2.Location (City and State)
    3.Age
    (If you are uncomfortable giving this info out over the internet, my Email is SwingLifeAway100yahoo.com, please feel free to respond there as well.)

Again, feel free to respond and discuss with each other (I'll be throwing in more questions if they arise).

Thanks for the help!
    -Kyle Donovan

2. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Every one has different intrests. If we were all motivated by making a car fast for the price we would be driving around some ****ty cars. Just the way you worded it is asking for a flame war. A GTR might be fast as hell but it cant outrun ugly.

3. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    From what I gather from the reviews...the driver involvement is poor. Most of the driving is aided by computers. Also, it's ugly.

4. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    easy answer...Shoes from walt-mart and Nike both do they samething! But which one would you rather ware? This can be taken many way...Models and just plain women can do the samething..but which would rather have! Easy for me!

5. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Because on an EVO forum somewhere there's a bunch of guys saying they spent a bit tweeking their EVO X and get it going as quick as a GTR for half the price. So why would you waste money on a GTR when a Mitsi can do it all for a lot less money and 4 doors?

6. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    It all comes down to lust. You'll typically go after what you lust for. First Lust, then Love, then What makes sense.

Jim

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    It is all in the details, driver involvement etc. A fine car is like a musical instrument. There are guitars and then there are gutars. A ferrari is a total visual auditory and tactile experience.

Compare the Nissan GTR to say a BMW M3 and other than that the GTR is really flashy the M3 is blown out the water.

8. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    You should do a paper on why people would spend $1 million more for a Reventon vs a LP640. Apparently one can never have enough exclusivity or vanity.

Personally I would take a 246GT over a GT-R, I am much more likely to stare at my cars all day then to run them on the track against a clock.

9. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #9 SDChris, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +1

11. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Ill take the model wearing only the Nike's! :D

12. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    :D :)

13. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    So, Kyle, what is your answer? You answer the question :)

14. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    +2

15. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I think he'd go for the model with the Nike's too! :D

16. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    +3.
    But to the original poster, I can only say that folks would rather have the exotic because it brings many things the GT-R doesn't.

It brings quality. A GT-R may be fast, but I doubt it's interior is anything like a Ferrari's. It brings uniqueness. The chances of seeing a GT-R down the road will increase. But how many times do you expect to see a LP640? With the exotic, you're part of an elite group. And last, it brings popularity. Stick that GT-R next to a Ferrari F40, and everyone will forget a GT-R is even there.

When you buy the more expensive exotic, you buy more than a computer on wheels. You buy a car with high performance with stunning luxury & an amazing design that is truly exotic, from a company with a well-backed history.
    Exotics just capture people's attention like nothing else. As jimangle said, people lust for exotics. They love the looks, they love the sound, they love the experience that comes with owning one. With the Nissan, you'll get some of that. But with a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, you won't get some, you'll get ALL of that and some.

17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Exotics have only two seats, the GTR has four. Some people just love to drive a car that has only them, and maybee a passenger, without feeling the need to use it for practical transportation. In my case, I need the space, an as a 2+2 owner, a GTR might be a better choice for me over a F430. But frankly, even with its technical wind tunnel designed body, the F430's looks are pure artwork, and will incite a passion that a GTR won't. I HAVE walked around admiring and looking for every small detail on a F430 for several minutes. People buy cars for things other than performance numbers and practicality. Otherwise, the used car market would be non-existant, as newer cars give better numbers, and have more practicality.

18. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    AMEN!.

I like the new Nissan Skyline and always liked them but id never buy one cause its always in Lambo pricing which is what I want for sure.

19. Honorsystem

Honorsystem Rookie

Mar 29, 2008
    Phew.... I go get some dinner and kick it with some friends for a bit and I came back to all these replies, first of all thanks!

To those of you asking, I'm a gear head as well, so GT-R (or comparatively priced vehicle) vs. Ferrari/Lambo/what-have-you is no contest, but I needed public opinion, and the above quote captured it perfectly, because, lets face it, everyone stares when they see a true exotic...

So from what I take from this, if I'm getting this correctly, is that an exotic car buyer is not only looking for speed, but for the most complete automobile package available. Like Premier Motorcars of SF said, shoes from Wal-mart or Nike do the same thing... and I'm wearing Nike's...

20. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Basically, the GTR is a bit of an automotive revolution, just like the NSX was back in the day. Why indeed pay 2 times the price for a Porsche Turbo if the GTR is pretty exotic looking AND faster, It used to be that you payed a LOT more money for a little bit MORE performance. In this case you pay A LOT MORE money for LESS performance. I think there will be major shake up in Porsche whose cars have progressively became comparatevly less performing and more expensive. a 70K plus 911 has less power then a 2001 BMW M3 that had a smaller engine and cost less. Porsche is also being ridiculous with pricing. Base 911s have no leather and no xenons and options are very expensive.

Ferrari is in a bit different league since they make exotics and those... like Swiss watches are basically fashion statements for most or like Cavalli jeans, you buy them regardless of the price.

21. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    Because we can!

22. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    There used to be a truly big difference between what you got with a more exotic car and with what the masses could afford. More complex engines, independent suspension, and more attractive interior and exterior styling are but a few things exotics had over the more mass-produced rivals.

Look at the late 1960's, a Corvette was for sure fast, but it wasn't as close to being as capable as most exotics. Most of that was due to the higher weight of the car relative to more expensive, but lighter and faster exotic cars.

Fast forward to the present time and we have mass-produced cars that are lighter, faster and every bit as capable as almost any exotic (save maybe an Enzo). These cars are mass produced and therefore far less expensive than an exotic.

What really happened was that the CAFE gas mileage regulations kicked in and while the grennies hate cars, the legislation they promoted had significant (but really good for us) unintended consequences. In the quest for gas mileage mass produced cars got lighter (and not that much more expensive), and we got gear boxes with six gears for more economy (and higher top speeds !!!), technology marches on so that the knowledge to make a better car was found and mass produced cars became better engineered and now rival the best exotics in the world.

If you can spread the cost of engineering over a lot more cars you have the capability to do more engineering and spend more for tooling, and the cars just get better.

There will always be exotics, just as there are Rolex's and expensive writing instruments. Not that they are really any better, truly, a Rolex is really an antiquated machine, born out of desire to so something that was difficult to do with the technology of the time. But they became an icon and remained expensive, so every body wanted one, not to tell time better (a Timex is more reliable and far cheaper), but the person buying them wants the exclusivity and the "feel" that he gets from them. I have my personal doubts that any car at close to 4,000 pounds is going to feel very sporty. It may indeed be fast and capable, but it isn't going to give you the same feeling that you get driving a lighter, more nimble car. And really, most cars nowadays have a lot more performance than you can ever use on the street without killing someone, so unless you are talking about tracking your car it really doesn't make much difference, other than bragging rights.

The parity in performance between exotics and higher production cars is a fairly new phenomenon, coming to full parity only in the last few years. We will have to wait and see how it affects the market over time. I am sure we will continue to see exotics, but there will also be a lot of folks that will find that they can get what they want in a less expensive car, buy that, and decide to spend the money on a boat or an airplane, or some other passion.

23. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    Always come back to your senses.

Sight....

Can you really compare a 355GTB to a Nissan GT-R? Either way, it's subject. You can't quantify here.

Smell....

I might be weird, but my Porsche's all have had a rich leather smell that I associated with the spirit of a company. There's something to be said about smell, but it's hard to put a finger on.

Sound....

Although this too is subjective, I think most people would agree that a Ferrari has quite a lead over any Nissan product in this category.

Touch....

The driving experience is all about communication through touch. You need to feel the tires through the steering wheel. You need to feel the rear end of the car through you back against the seat. Some manufacturers cannot get this done. Some cars come out feeling numb. I don't care how fast it is.

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is a good point. The Reventon is a textbook example of getting no incremental value for your money other than low production volume (I think there are only 20 or so). It's also a made-to-be-collected car, so you can't drive it.

I agree with the 246 GT choice, but the larger point is that the performance on all these cars has passed the threshold of usefulness. The speed limit on most of our surface streets around here is 45 mph. On the Interstates, it's 65 mph. While you do have some leeway with those, the truth is that 0-60 in 4 seconds and >1.0g in the corners isn't all that relevant unless you track your car. For driving on public roads, I consider a car's looks, rarity, and how it makes me feel at sane speeds.

If I were going to track a car, I wouldn't bother with an exotic, except maybe the Lotus Elise/Exige.

Both good points. Porsche is in an odd position, because its cars aren't exotics -- it has a normal dealer network, and sell a lot of cars that can be used every day -- so it can't sell based on the shock-and-awe factor of Ferrari or Lamborghini. Yet Porsche isn't leading in performance anymore.

And yes, I think price isn't a deterrent to buying an exotic car. There's a pride of place in owning one of the Italian exotics, in part because people really have no idea what it cost (I've been asked a couple of times about my 328, which seems cloaked in mystery even though it's priced in the range of a common BMW 5 series.)

25. PapaiK

PapaiK Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Yeah. If you've got the means, why not?