Why isn't this feature in cars? | FerrariChat

Why isn't this feature in cars?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Teenferrarifan, May 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Guys it was in some cars in the 50's and 60's but why isn't there an automatic high beam dimmer? It couldn't be that hard to set up could it? Instead car makers like MB are using night vision which cadillac got rid of because the system sucked. (I learned how to drive on a 2000 cadillac DTS with the stupid option it was useless) and I am told the MB system is a very similar set up. What else would people like to see in cars?
    Erik

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd like to see some kind of light outside the car that lets people know when you're turning.

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    lol

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    how about something that turns on this light from your brain activity i think hitting a stalk would be too difficult.
    Erik

5. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    I dont get it. You want to turn your HB off thats easy. To see things better?

6. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    BTW it is standard equipment on lots of GM's now.... I had a tahoe a couple weeks ago that had it

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I'd like some interference generator so a cell phone would not operate while the car is in gear.

Phone would only work while car is running if car is in park.

Not an expert, but from what I hear, Early data suggests talking on Cell phones while driving carries similar risks to DUI.....

Ohh, I'd also like a paint ball gun in my front grill so I could shoot at bad drivers. Then everyone could easily I dentify them by all the paint spots.

8. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Probably wouldn't work as they are in Enterprise vehicles a lot as their cars are being repaired at the bump shop.

BTW I had a 1989 Mercury Cougar that had an auto high beam dimmer. How about a trun signal that switches itself off after about a quarter of a mile. Harley Davidson has this technology why can't they share it with the big three and beyond?

How about heated windshield wiper blades, here in Michigan you do the reach out the window at a stop light then try to snap the ice off the blades as the wiper cycles.

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Hey, that was quality military surplus. ;) (Part of the deal when Raytheon got Hughes Aircraft from GM.)

What you can't do in a car is put in a proper heads-up display (where the windscreen is classed as part of the airbag system) or monocle display on the driver's helmet to properly overlay the FLIR pod data on the real time image.

And the seats in a Caddy have a bit more wiggle room than the ones in an F15, so paralax is an issue.

When the Raytheon VP announced the "night driver" deal, his wistful wish (in the Boston area) was to add Sidewinder missiles. :D

I'd settle for a steel edge ruler to smack your fingers if you wait until halfway through the turn to use the blinker.

If it conveys no information that isn't already obvious, then by the engineering definition, it's not a "signal", it's "noise". (Of course, if you're an engineer in military communications, there's also the issue of only signalling "need to know" information. :p)

Then there's the parking lot with the roaming high power lasers beneath the lines to cut off anything you leave hanging over the edge of your space ...