why ferrari? | FerrariChat

why ferrari?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Carsonp, Dec 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    Ive been arguing for and against all kinds of cars for as long as i can remember. I go off of things ive seen and read mainly performance FACTS (weight, hp, tq, etc.) ,quality (materials, fit/finish, reliability, etc.) , and design though based on opinion...

Now before i get into it, i should state ive been a Fchatter for a reason. I think some of their designs are hard to top (360 cs, 288 GTO, 512 TR, etc) but im also a huge fan of many different cars American, italian, german, and englsih... not so many asian

I have never drivin or even sat in a ferrari and have only seen a very limited amount in person (though one was an enzo! behind glass though ) and ive also never really drivin anything fast and modern. (72 charger with a 440 doesnt count right?)

So why ferrari?

In my land of FACTS i see the porsche turbo and C6 z06 being right with, and most times being faster then the F430. Now im not saying the z06 is the better car cause i know the fit/finish and quality arnt there for the most part (not reliability though). But the porsche on the otherhand... better quality? same performance? IMHO looks better then the 430 (not 360CS) yet costs a good $100k less...

Usually when this topic comes up most f car owners say soething about heritage, exclusiveness, prestige, name, etc... and i dont give a crap about those. to me thats as bad as ricers using the HP per liter argument...

Then something else will come up and ive read it in some articles as well. Everyone seems to think the 430 has a better "feel". Not just the 430 though. In about every discussion about any F-car someone will say something along the lines of it having a better feel. Again, i work with facts and until one of you lets me drive your ferrari I cant let this go without a detailed explaination.

SO! What physical/measurable material/product/design/parts give ferraris their "feel"?

Is it suspension design? seating position with a mid-motor layout? (if so do front motor fcars have the same "feel")? or is it italian voo doo?

Why is it no other car maker in the world can seem match ferraris "feel"?

2. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    This analogy has been used here before, but it is a good one, and I believe it applies here.

Think of a sports car your are going to purchase as a girlfriend, wife, or life partner whatever your particular lifestyle supports. On paper you could have a ton of advantages that would make one person stand out more than another ex:maybe one makes a lot of money, maybe one is a good cook, one is sexy, one is dependable, I think you catch my drift. My point is you can't really choose someone by what there attributes are without experiencing how that person makes you feel. I have been fortunate enough to be able to own many of the different cars in my life that I have wanted to try out, many of which are from the countrys you sited as as examples. Let me tell you that not one of them has stirred the soul like the Ferraris. The F-cars I have owned have not been the fastest or best handling, and certainly not the most reliable, but nothing fills the void like the feel, sound, and look of a Ferrari. Porsche makes an excellent sports car and dare I even say a better one, but they are boring. Corvette's and Vipers are fast and cost effective, but lack in quality and prestige. Aston, Lotus, and there Brit syblings are great to look at but lack some in the performance dept. The Japanese offerings are little to none and lack in overall excitement. So that about sums it up for me.