Why does the Mondial have a bad rap? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Why does the Mondial have a bad rap?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by RoPo54, Dec 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    I wanted to post my agreement with Jay, that we should stop posting in this thread.

I just couldn't help myself :):):)

Cheers, Hank

2. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    I was at Cars and Coffee here in Greenville, SC yesterday. Only two Ferraris; my Mondial and a 550. I was looking at some of the other cars, and, of course, there was the obligatory "jap-crap" there. I remember having a conversation with a young man who was impressed with the performance of this new Nissan that drove up. I think it was a GTR or GTX, something like that. Supposedly, it's one of the fastest "off the shelf" cars available. Well, after examining this Japanese car, I had an epiphany: 0 to 60 isn't a reason to own a car. The fact is, there are many cars one can own which can boast, not only quickness and top end, but have pretty luxurious interiors. Fact is, they're all pretty mundane. I mean, the owner of that particular car paid much more for it than I did my Mondial, and I'm sure it has a higher top end, nicer interior, and of course, is quicker. But... it looks like any other car on the road. No style. Plus, you tell someone, "I drive a Nissan GT*", it's like, "Who cares?" Tell 'em you own a Ferrari. 'Nuff said. Also, I swear I think I'm getting noticed more in the Mondial that I did in the Lotus. I'm having people walk up to me and say, "Nice car", giving me the thumbs-up as they pass, and take pictures of it with their cell phones in parking lots. So what if a car will do 0-60 quicker than the Mondial. Never seen anyone take pictures of a Japanese car. (or Corvette; or Mustang; or Camaro; or Challanger, etc...)

3. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I don't care people don't like it as much as I do.
    I like it, my girl likes it and that's enough for me.
    Let the rest drive what they like.
    My garage & wallet is too small for all the cars we like & want.

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I have been seriously close and committed to selling my car on a couple occasions. Once I listed it for 2 days. Every time this happens it is because of fear and ignorance. It's only after I haven't driven the car for a while. Fear of big repairs bills that haven't come up. Ignorance, because 5 minutes behind the wheel make the feeling go away. For me there isn't a better car in the world for the price that can do what this car does to and for me. :D

Enjoy all you owners, these cars are a bargain for what you get.

5. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    No it was an early QV. There were Mondial 8 parts on the car. The door cards for one, and the plenum for another.
    There may well have been other items, I guess Ferrari did not want to throw away unused parts in the parts 8 bin :D

Oddly when I purchased the car the side vents were black. I repainted them red and when cutting back the old paint I saw that they were originally red. Somebody decided to paint them black.

6. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Mine are currently powdercoated low gloss black as Original Euro Spec. Mondials did.
    My grills are made from Aluminum. They bolt on.
    Not crappy plastic that every ham fisted looky - touchy person leans on, and snaps the strakes ... Not a ha ha. Then, minewere painted by Hunnington Beach Ferrari,, sera Blue, to match the Mondial 8 paint, as all USA spec. Cars did.

I like yours in Red.

Edwardo

7. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :) They did look good.

8. Mondial 1985

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Personally, I feel the majority of the snobbery eminates from the fact that the Mondials don't cost as much as other Ferrari models; nor do they retain the re-sale value of other models. Just because it's affordable, it gets labled the "poor man's Ferrari". Just like the 246 did at one time. I can prove this, too.

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The public where I live has no idea the Mondial has a bad rap. It looks and sounds cool and has the name Ferrari on it. Sometimes people ask me why I bought this particular model and I tell them because it cost half as much as the two seater and is 50% better car.

10. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Real Life

People like me are using up their Mondials by driving them. It raises the question about eventual value. If most Mondials are being used up by people such as me who drive them? Who can say what the value might be for those derelicts left in storage?

Anyone who buys my car [not for sale] will have a screaming perfected Ferrari maniac. If you want a Turtle Wax Special? Move on.

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I don't think that's it, it's still a Ferrari. But, I don't know about you but when I was a kid dreaming of a Ferrari, I had a testarossa poster on my wall and later a 355, not a mondial. That's not to say the mondial isn't a great car, it is, but it's not what I dreamed of as a kid. It's more what I thought would be settling for a more 'practical' Ferrari. It's more of a grown up car, which while admittedly often the better choice, isn't what keeps you up at night. Cost doesn't really have anything to do with it.

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said. After the Miura and especially the Countach, exotic cars traded on the extreme, rakish styling that comes with mid-engined two seaters. Boxers and 308s are defiantly impractical, playboy cars. As much as Formula One, that's part of the mystique. Kids and groceries... not really part of the mystique.

Does that make Mondials "bad" cars? No. Bad investment? Maybe but who cares.

13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Bobzdar and Bullfighter are spot on, imho. I'd just like to add that there's no such thing as a poor man's Ferrari. That's one of the major unique features of Ferrari and part of the myth.

It may not be the most desirable Ferrari of all time, but:

1) It is still a Ferrari. Period.
    2) Although 2 seaters carry a premium in general, several other 2+2 cars have been smeered in the past and have come of age rather spetacularly. I'm curious to see when the Mondial (namely the 3.2 and the T) turn 40 for instance. I bet by then they've shaken off at least some the (unjust) reputation they have now.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    I hope these stay under the radar in case I can ever add a "Distaff Mondial" and won't have to fight to get in the driver's seat - It gets loads of attention which is fine, but it's just fun as hell to drive.

15. Mondial 1985

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Well, I own a Ferrari and I'm poor. Honestly guys, I probably need to be driving Pinto, Chevette, or Dart. My new motto is, "Just because you own a Ferrari doesn't mean you can afford a Ferrari." Learned this after trading the Lotus for the Mondial. But, I will say this: I love the Mondial, much better than the Lotus and even though I got screwed on the trade, I'd still rather have a Mondial (just maybe not the one I have now) than a Lotus. And if I can ever get this one back on the road...

16. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Mark,

I'm no zilionaire myself, very far from it (unfortunately!!!). What I meant was that when sold new, they were veeeeery expensive. Within reach for just a lucky few, like today. So, no Ferrari is ordinary nor for the common man. And that's part of the myth imho.

I still blame de Mondial 8 for not meeting everyone's expectations at the time of its release. That's where the bad reputation began imho, not because it's a 2+2 (Ferrari have 2+2s which are worth considerable amounts of money). Then Ferrari improved the Mondial considerably but the press (mostly) made sure the Mondial never overcame that heritage, which is unfair and a shame.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #142 soucorp, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Mondial 1985

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
  19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    No it's a Citroen I think. Definitely not a Fiat 500, though it looks similar :)

I don't think it's that because the 308 had the same engine.
    When I had mine the general public saw it as a Ferrari. the one time I took it to work I had no end of questions about how I could afford it. I even got told a group of employees argued over it being a Toyota MR2 :D.
    I found when mixing with petrolheads and some other Ferrari guys it was seen as less of a Ferrari.
    I think the 456 suffers a little with it but it being a 12 cylinder and quite pretty, less so.

The Mondial has quirky original looks, you love it (I do) or you don't.

I also read so much crap about the 348 being the worst Ferrari. What a load of bollocks that is.

20. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That one was started by Luca di Montezemolo himself, while interview by "Automobile", if I'm not mistaken in 2001:

“I had just bought a new 348 and with the exception of its good looks I was utterly disappointed. This was clearly the worst product Ferrari had developed for some time.”

Kind regards,

Nuno.

21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Indeed, makes me smile how many people whom have never owned a 348 or indeed any Ferrari that regurgitate this crap.