Why does the Mondial have a bad rap? | FerrariChat

Why does the Mondial have a bad rap?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by RoPo54, Dec 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just wondering, as a Mondial t owner, why the Mondial has such a love/hate relationship with the public.
    Rob

2. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The "public" has no problem at all. Just snobs who claim to know Ferrari.

3. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I suppose my initial question was inartfully posed. Should have said the Ferrari 'public'.
    Rob

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #4 JoeZaff, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

It is what it is. Ferraris are polarizing, and there will always be somebody looking to take you down a notch, whether you are driving a Honda or a fricken Helicopter.

Most people who don't like any particular model of Ferrari have never driven them or likely even seen that particular model in person. The anti-mondial b.s., is REALLY OVERBLOWN. You should hear what people say about 348's, 400i's, 308GT4s, etc.. Some have called the 348 the worst Ferrari ever made. ABSOLUTELY ABSURD. Heck, it wasn't too long ago that people hated the Dino and called it not a real Ferrari. Well you see where that went.

Beyond that, there are Ferrari guys who only like pre-Fiat Ferraris. There are others who only like Ferraris born during Enzo's life, and still others who only like the new stuff.

In my almost two years of Mondial ownership I have been to a lot of Ferrari events and spent time with a lot of Ferrari owners. My car has garnered nothing but praise.

As for the general public, my car is a fricken movie star as far the general public is concerned.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Only one reason public/Ferrari owners have some issues [unfounded] is that 'some' feel a Ferrari should be a < four seater. I pose: what of the one-seaters...you two-seater types can stuff it.

Seems some feel the more the seats the less the car/relationship. Again, unfounded.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #6 Rifledriver, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    I was working in a large dealer when they were introduced and remember quite well. Ferrari had recently changed to fuel injection and lost horsepower across the board as a result. Everyone was still very unhappy with that when the Mondial came out. It was much larger than the 308 with the same somewhat enemic motor. Between that and the styling that many did not like caused many to be very critical of the car. Most of the naysayers were in the US and you have to remember, in the US we only had the 308. Everyone wanted the BB and the 400 but instead Ferrari brought us the Mondial, people were pretty disappointed about that. The car also had a lot of new gadgetry and that did not sit well either. Then the cabriolet came out and many had troubles with the tops so that just fueled the fire. By the time the 3.2 came out and even more so when the t came out most of those voices died down. Some never did. The car was far more disliked by outsiders than the insiders. In fact the 3.2 coupes had many adhearents within Ferrari. Of all the varients it is my favorite.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    A 2+2 seems to get a bad rap from self proclaimed "purists". I'm in the local Jaguar club here and it's amazing the unkind things I hear about them even though most people don't really know the difference.

The Mondial has a somewhat boxy style compared to it's 2 seat relatives that translates into a good dollar value for those that like them.

8. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    My T isn't a fav? rats. Then again who could hate the 3x8 series [wishing, someday, for a 328 ]

From Brian's take, guessing the CA will be the new Mondial: The legend lives.

9. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    #9 Falcon, Dec 18, 2009
    I doesn't matter what other people think. The Mondial isn't as popular as other models because it isn't as sporty. If you buy automoblies for yourself, than the Mondial is fine. If you buy your automobiles to impress others, than you have some better choices. I would buy a Mondial. I think they're great.

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #10 SonomaRik, Dec 18, 2009
    again: wrong. Sporty is in the hands of the driver

Come on ROPO54 I know you just got a Mondial T cab: man up... What is YOUR reason? Can't let the others push ya' about....Do we not bleed too :D

11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ya, like investing in some self esteem books.

12. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    People are like sheep -- they read one not-so-swell review and everyone assumes it's gospel. Then the next time a lazy journalist writes a review, the same garbage gets used again...therefore perpetuating the myth over reality.

There are legitimate reasons some people -- including Ferrari folks, don't like the Mondial as much as others. Some think it isn't as pretty as a 308/328 or 246, others don't like that it is heavier or slightly slower, or tuned to be more of a GT car. Saying that it isn't Ferrari's best car is fine, but to bad-mouth it is absurd. It is still a great car.

What gets me is that so often people (even journalists) will yap about the Mondial or GT4 "having two seats too many" for a sports car, but then just a few sentences later go on to praise the 911 for being not only more practical, but also a better all-around sports car without mentioning that it also is a 2+2.

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Now that's a better anwser.

Do I LOVE the two-seaters, ya', did I buy one: NO. is the Mondial a bad rap: Not IMO

some don't like single seater planes or crusers over ski boats but .. whatever : sport, handling well, the medium is the message...it all has value and is what it is...

Even the current CA has that going for it, 'interesting' looks and all.

14. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    #14 Falcon, Dec 18, 2009
    What gets me is that so often people (even journalists) will yap about the Mondial or GT4 "having two seats too many" for a sports car, but then just a few sentences later go on to praise the 911 for being not only more practical, but also a better all-around sports car without mentioning that it also is a 2+2.[/QUOTE]

This is a case where there is a gorgeous woman that can't count to ten. No one cares. The 911 is such a good drive no one cares how many seats it has. When something is "spot on" you can over-look a lot.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I just like the 3.2 better because of the servicing ease. The Cab is better looking IMO but the coupe has a much stiffer chassis and handles really well.

16. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    As a (new) t owner, I will say that the top mechanism is (needlessly?) difficult. I do love the car, though, and love that it has the practical side to it - more space/ back seat, trunk, etc . . . .
    The truth is that the market value remains weaker than the 308/328 by comparison. Perhaps it's the styling issue. Nonetheless, I think the t certainly outperforms the 308 and 328 (I think) as well, and I find it quite exotic in its own right.
    There was a SCM article written by a Steve Serio really knocking the car. And, yes, there are many articles as well singing its praise (though sometimes with a defensive note to their tone).
    Notwithstanding, I chose one, preferring it for the variety of reasons I expressed above. I have found it nothing but a joy to drive and quite reliable!
    BTW - Joe Zaff - your mondial looks great! :)
    Rob

17. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    since on the topic...is the T a better car than the 3.2 ? Or is it that the 3.2 will be the one more friendlier to live with because its a 328 engine as opposed to the 348 engine and the T has to have an engine out service ?

18. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
  19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would guess that when stuff starts aging and failing on the CA it will make the Mondial look about as complicated as a VW Beetle.

The 911 had some rough spots in the '70s (U.S. versions), but in general it has always been a seriously fast car. (The 911S was doing 0-60 in 6 seconds back in the early 1970s, the new 997 Turbo does it in 3.4 sec or so.) It had a sensational reputation early in its career. Also, where I think Porsche really got it right back in the '60s was in styling the car so that you couldn't tell it was a 2+2.

I like the Mondial (especially in black), but it does trade some sporting appearance for practicality.

20. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm hardly an expert . . . but the t is faster than the 3.2 but you are correct that the 3.2 does not need an engine out service.
    From the market value standpoint, I think the ts are pricier.
    I'll defer to the others on this site who will have more knowledge/experience than me as far as the comparisons go.
    Rob

21. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Man, I am afraid Joe's right. The only time (in the many years I have been enjoying my Mondi) that I have heard a sour word about it is when some poorly educated young punk or uninformed nasty neighbor wants to knock me. That's pretty weak but it happens. Some peoples human nature is to find a crack in the surface and try to dismantle the bits of others lives. They stand there looking disinterested like they would not have any interest in such a car... Then they get even more dissatisfied when it passes them or out laps them or attracts more attention then them.

I luv all Ferraris and can even see the good in very well kept versions of the 400i or GT4 etc. I took a hard look at all of them before I purchased (even looked at the slower 308 & 328) but I had wanted a four seat Ferrari for a long time - and the Mondial t coupe was the look, reliability & the higher performance that I bargained for.

You made a great choice.

22. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I don't know, at the end of the day it's still just a 911. To be honest if I had to buy one I would get a 356.

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, can't argue with that.

24. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I don't know what y'all are talking about. I love my Mondial, looks just like the 80's trans am that I couldn't find.

25. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    The next time someone gives attitude about the Mondial ask that person if he/she can think of a more beautiful, better performing and sounding 4 seat mid-engined convertible sportscar? From any manufacturer?

It is probably the best (in every parameter) car ever produced for it's intended purpose.