Why do people buy used high-end cars other than Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Why do people buy used high-end cars other than Ferrari?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tundraphile, Sep 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #1 tundraphile, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
    Stupid thread title I know. I was thinking about this tonight while monitor shopping (cyber equivalent to window shopping?) for different cars.

So you set a price in your head an pick a type of car. Say $70k-ish, and it would be a weekend two-seat sportscar.

For that money you could get an early 360, or my personal favorite, a 550 Maranello.

Or you could have many other vehicles of the same age or newer for the same price give or take: Gallardo, V8 Vantage, Vanquish, Porsche GT3, CLK63 Black, etc.

Honestly, for $70k, why would anyone choose any of these cars over the two from Maranello? The Lambo might be more outlandish, the Vanquish might be styled better to some, the Porsche might be more reliable. But does any of them have the combination of looks, sound, performance, and cachet that either Ferrari has? I don't think so.

Looking at what you could buy new for $70k (Supercharged Exige, Z06, Cayman S) you realize how much car you are passing up in the Ferraris just to have something brand new.

Maybe the buyers of these cars when new didn't like Ferrari, or already had a few prancing horses, or wanted something even more exclusive and exotic. I'm not sure of the motivations, all I know is that if my choice was a 10 year old Ferrari and a 3 year old Porsche for the same money, it would be hard to pass up the Ferrari.

Do this for other price ranges and the results are the same. IMO for $120k a used 430 is impossible to top (maybe a bottom-end Murci, but only maybe). For $50k a 355 would definitely be tops on the list for me.

Tonight I was looking to see how low early DB9 and Granturismos had dropped. Then it hit me. If I decided to spend $60-70k for a 2+2, the obvious and really only car to consider would be a 456M. It has everything I think I would want in a car in that category.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    because people don't want to spend their kid's inheritance on routine maintenance? :p

3. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The thing is keeping an Aston or Lamborghini on the road is similarly costly.

Sure a Porsche might be cheaper, but it isn't like it is cheap.

4. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The only reason you're asking this is 'cos you like Ferrari more. On other BB's they are asking why people chose Ferrari's when the cost so much to maintain.
    Just your preference. . . . Not a better car.

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #5 ryalex, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
    1. Ride type: not everyone wants 'riding on rails' handling and high-revving engines, some (most!?) people like GT comfort, highway cruising, torque etc. It's why the Mercedes SL outsells a lot of other $100k "sports" cars.

2. It's whatever brand they want to be associated with. For better and for worse, cars come pre-loaded with social prejudices and identity. There are a lot of people who are too socially conscious to get something as "flashy" as a Ferrari or Lamborghini, no matter the price. See the "Porsche-owning Politician" thread as an example. There are a lot of people who feel those things are 'too much' (cost/care/labor/attention/grief) for them, and it's in their own mind.

An interesting case study is my own uncle. Nearing the end of his career as a union ironworker, with kids grown, he wanted a toy. It came down to a new H2 or a new C5 Vette. That's really all he considered. At ~$60k, there are obviously plenty of hot Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus, Aston Martin, MB, etc. cars to choose from. Not even considered, and I kept throwing out suggestions of my own Euro preferences. Maybe a Viper? But we're from a Steeltown, and he has his social circle, and what he wanted to have was a big yellow truck or a Vette (he had a red C4 for a while). He got the H2 and loved it.

6. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    And others are shopping for the most capable, which leaves out the Ferrari.

7. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Well put. One's circle might dictate what to get in a way...it shouldn't, but it can.

Additionally, people choose their car for so many reasons. Look at it this way, for EVERY crappy, pathetic car (in one person or another's opinion) out there, SOMEBODY is buying them. What you would never consider owning if it was the last car on Earth, someone else feels different & buys them..otherwise they would not exist.

You couldn't PAY me enough to buy or own a ______, but to someone else, that is their favorite car in the world.

YMMV...

8. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    I like both F and L cars, but for the price, the Gallardo outperform your favorite 360, and looks waaay better too.

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Indeed! I don't really hang with "the Ferrari crowd" in everyday life, and it took a while
    to reveal what is in my garage to some folks/friends/business associates.

Jedi

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's true. I also forgot #3 - "Value" or price/performance. A lot of people want the most 'bang for the buck,' which is basically where the Corvette beats just about everything. Then you're talking about cars like a Mazdaspeed3, WRX, 370Z, Corvette C6, M3, Z06, GTR and then 997TT.

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

And break allllll the time if you get an e-gear. Don't waste your time with a Gallardo

12. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I made it a point to say "high end" used cars. I would define that as $50k+. IMO if you start to get down to the lower price range the choice is not so clear.

Take $30k. If you were Ferrari-only you would automatically think 308. I have loved this car since I was 9 years old and would be thrilled to have one. But...if it had to be used with any regularity I might choose something more comfortable, reliable, and faster. Something like a used Cayman S. If you had a 308 you would also need another DD. Add the $20k for that and you are back to either a 308 + DD, a driver Cayman S with $20k still in your pocket, or a $50k 355 and it is used all the time. Of those choices the 308 is the last of the three, despite my near-lifelong affection for that particular model family.

A Cayman and 308 is apples and oranges I know. But as you move lower down the price scale you end up with older Ferraris against much newer cars.

As for Lamborghini and other exotic brands, I certainly see the point why some choose to buy them. This thread is not intended as a slam on them in any way. Choice is good, it just seems that if you were shopping for your first exotic and had a bit of money to blow on it, I personally would have a hard time not getting a Ferrari comapred to the other possibilities.

13. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I love both the 550 and the 360, but the reality is that the money meter is just starting to move with the cost of acquisition.

When the 550 was new, and people paid $200,000 to own one, a $7000 major service bill didn't seem like a lot of money relative to the cost of the car (even if it really is a lot of money). Now that they hover in the $70k range, $7000 service bills don't seem so reasonable anymore. Soon they'll be priced $50K, perhaps down to the mid $40's. New owners at this price level will probably defer maintenance, and the downward price cycle will continue as the cars get rattier.

As far as 360's go, you don't want to be the guy without a chair when music stops, and the $6000 F-1 transmission fails (or anything else fails, for that matter) on your newly acquired $50K sports car.

14. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Hmmmm.... $70K would buy a really nice '65 Corvette...

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    LOL, I can not even comment on this thread, I'd get banned.

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Smart move.

17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    There is nothing sensible about paying $70K for a 10 year old production Ferrari, that will cost 10x to maintain than many othe choices.

18. Kev33

Kev33 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Simply put, it's all about opinions really...

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

There are many of us who are interested in classic and vintage cars. I would have no interest in any modern Ferrari or other make. I drive a Toyota!
    I would own just about any pre 1985 sports cars, and not just Ferrari. I don't care how much it costs in maintenance, if i'm short on cash it will sleep in the garage until I have the money.
    I'll take a ratty 60 vintage Ferrari, Lambo,Maser, Jag, Etc. over a 550 any day of the week.

20. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    You have done a brilliant job of describing the thought processes that lead to Testa Rossa's with Chevy engines back in the day. Also the reason today the 4 seat Ferrari's and Fiat Dino's struggle with value in comparision to the two seaters.

The question is will there be a rebirth for the 550's and 360's or will they end up re-engined or just sitting in a field forever.

21. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Different uses as well. I wanted a track toy (street legal)--I got an Exige S 240. I wouldn't pick it to do a 3 day trip, but I liked it better on the track than my 360's or 430. Plus, we all have financial sensitivity points. Easy to write off a Lotus (new) than a 430 (4 years ago, anyway).

22. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Nothing says, "my first exotic" like a V8 Ferrari! ...the newest 10-15-year old one you can afford, too! ...and of course, be sure to make it red! :D ...and get a nice Rolex to go with it! ;)

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I wouldn't consider Ferrari the de facto most desirable car anymore. The Aston V8 Vantage is easily the most stylish, and the 360 really looks dated (especially now that crisp lines like on the 458 are more fashionable).

I guess for $70K for a weekend car I'd be looking for a high-end 328. For $50K I think the Lotus Esprit is a raging bargain.

I'd agree the Gallardo is a looker among high five-figure used cars. Unfortunately the E-gear and Audi electronics are already obsolete.

I would have a hard time justifying $50K on any used car from the past decade, unless it's a daily driver and you can afford to use it up and throw it away. The electronics in all of them are aging; the performance is second tier at best; and in many cases the styling is already looking iffy.

If you want value for your money, go back to the classic Porsche 911 (pre-'74), Merc 230/250/280SL, Jag E-Type, and so on.