Why do homes in Denver have tiny garages? | FerrariChat

Why do homes in Denver have tiny garages?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by hdpt00, May 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Moving there in a few mos and can't really find anything to buy - homes up to $2mil only have 3 car garages in most cases... what's the deal?

Probably going to rent and buy something that has room to add-on a garage. Is there a reason the garages are so small in CO? In AZ even $600k homes will have 3-4 car garages. I hope it isn't a weather thing because everyone keeps saying how mild Denver is, 300 days of sunshine, etc...

2. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Where exactly are you looking? You say 'in Denver' but I get the sneaking suspicion you actually mean a suburb - in which case you should simply ask your realtor to help you find homes with more garage spaces. There are plenty.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    In downtown Denver garage space can be a challenge.

One friend near Cheeseman Park has a huge house but only a 2 car garage. So he owns he appartment building behind and kept all 8 spaces for himself.

Another in Cherry Creek has a small warehouse in LoDo.

In Evergreen it was hard to find a house with a 3 car garage in our price range. The higher the price the easier it would seem to find more garage space.

4. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    I have a house for sale with a 10-car, 2000+ sq ft garage in the Denver western suburbs (unincorporated Jeffco near Golden/Arvada). Appraised at 986k two years ago, asking 750k after the drop. I've already moved with my family to another property in the same area (more car space!), so the house is ready for a quick occupancy. Might consider renting. The garage is in two levels, one at the entry level that looks like a relatively conventional three-car garage (but double deep), and another around the side (underneath the other garage) with a single door that I used for cars and workshop space. House is on a beautifully landscaped acre and backs to open space. PM me if you have any interest.

5. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I'm looking mostly in Cherry Hills Village, Greenwood Village, some parts of Littleton and Genesee.

Like I said, probably going to rent since I'm moving so soon now and just find something I can add garage space onto.

6. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    It surprises me that you can't find houses in Cherry Hills or Greenwood Village with large garages. I've seen some houses there with garages larger than most homes. Have you been specific with your realtor?

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Who told you Denver was "mild"? It was snowing cats and dogs there last weekend. The elevation makes a big difference.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    Brandon I just did a quick and dirty search for homes between $1m and $2m in Cherry Hills Village and Greenwood Village with more than three car garages. Nine homes came up - eight with four car and one with a five car garage. Keep in mind that land values in the desirable parts of Cherry Hills are still $1m/acre. That doesn't leave a lot for a really special home.

Take a look at what $1.25 will get you in Castle Rock www.tuliptreeplace.com . The home has a fully finished five car. (see the virtual tour)

This home, now sold, had a four plus car garage right on Washington Park in position "A".
    www.historicwashpark.com . They can be found downtown too.

They are there. Just make it clear what you want.

Ron Hetherington

9. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Really need 5-6 car garage. I'm going to rent for a bit and get to know the areas first, then start looking for something that has room to build a garage or already has the space. Castle Rock is nice but adds a lot of time onto the commute to skiing.

10. Imola2001

Imola2001 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    SoCO & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike C.
    #10 Imola2001, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
    For example:
    Cherry Creek to Winter Park: 1hr 18min
    Castle Rock to Winter Park: 1hr 36min

Plenty of places to get a big garage, all you need is the land :)

I'm way south, but I wanted "lots of land" (4 acres) and "lots of garage" (21 cars).

I'm not commuting for work, and don't mind a 2 hour drive to Breck :)

Good luck in the search!

No kidding! I made the mistake of driving the wrong car to the airport for the second time this year and had to deal with it on the drive home. Made the return from CA first trip and FL last week even worse!
    At least it was nice (no snow) in SoCO when I got home :)

11. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I agree with Imola2001; Castle Rock's time to skiing is very comparable to Denver. In Castle Rock, you can just jump on 25 to 470, whereas in Denver you're stuck taking surface streets and scary old US-6 to I-70.

I can't believe that four-car garage in Wash Park! God I miss Denver!!!

12. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Brandon,

There is a house listed in the local Evergreen paper that is located in Genesee and has a 9 car garage. It is listed at $1,250,000. The add does not list the MLS number.

It is being listed by Team Davenport, a local Fuller/Sotheby's agency. They can be reached at: (303) 919-4891 or (720) 488-6003. I have no affiliation with this agency and have no first hand experience with them.

They also have some other listings that have multiple car garages (6+), though they are asking considerably more for these properties.

Most properties in the foothills that have many garage spaces also have a lot of square footage. It is very difficult to find a property that has a lot of garage spaces connected to a smaller home.

Good luck with your search.

-F

13. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Thanks - seen that one - didn't really like the house though.

14. Maranello Fanatico

Mar 29, 2010
    Littleton, CO
    Full Name:
    Brad Peterson
    I am planning on building in the mountains just west of Denver and roxborough, lots of good real estate up there. Putting in a seperate barn to hold my cars, including a shop area to tinker with cars/restore/race prep. ;)

15. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I heard Roxborough has some foundation problems though with whatever mud or clay is in the dirt there...

16. Maranello Fanatico

Mar 29, 2010
    Littleton, CO
    Full Name:
    Brad Peterson
    Bentonite. I have it in my house right now. I live in Littleton.
    If you move into the mountains a ways you escape the Bentonite.

There is a bit of a hidden community up there. I bought some office
    furniture off a guy up there. He had a amazing view and literally was only
    10 min from C470 and 285. I wish I took pictures for reference.

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ton of nice foreclosures in cherry hill buddy has been bidding on stuff

18. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Is he going to the courthouse auctions - has he been successful? If the note is for say $1,000,000 owed, whereabouts is the house selling for?

Thanks.

19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have a buddy that bought i house that sold for $2.7m... think he paid 1.4.

have another buddy putting in low ball bids. getting counter offers way down. this is a second home so he is really looking to steal something. he doesnt really understand why the RE is so expensive and where all the $$$ comes from.

these are REO listings.... no courthouse stuff. some corp relocation owned stuff.

want me to find the agent he has been using ?

20. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Yes - feel free to PM me the info - appreciated!