Who here has changed the oil on a 400i? | FerrariChat

Who here has changed the oil on a 400i?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by KraigG, Jun 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Looking through the service records I got with the car, it's not clear when the last oil change was performed, so I'm going to try and do it myself.

Past dealer receipts have quoted between 1.5 - 2 hours to do it. Is this true? Why so long?

Where do you find your filters? What type of oil do you use? Does the oil have to drain completely with the filters still in place before removing them?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated....

Kraig

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I thought that Cannillo did a $3000 freshen up on the car - surely that would have included an oil change?

3. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Ya would have thought so, wouldn't ya? I'm looking at that $3000 "freshen up" receipt right now, and it's a tranny rebuild, new rear brake pads, rebuilt rear calipers, and a new (rebuilt) starter. No tune up, no oil change. The only fluids on that invoice are brake fluid and transmission fluid.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

So what's the mystery. I would drain the oil, then remove the filters. Maybe wait for a little while and then replace the filters and put some 20-50 Castrol in. Maybe check for leaks and then drive the car for a while.

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The owners manual has all the info in it on how to change the oil. If you don't have the manual, you can download it at the owners site once you have a password. (Takes a week or so to get a password once you make a request for it.)

http://www.owners.ferrari.com

Does the 400 use the anti-drainback oil filters that the 308 uses?

Birdman

6. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Yup the exact same part (as used on pretty much all 70's-80's Ferraris)

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I get my UFI filters from T. Rutlands, buy 19 quarts of Mobil 1 15W-50 at NAPA or Autozone and change the oil just like on any other car. For an amateur like me, it takes maybe an hour and that includes having to haul out my jack, jack stands and other stuff.

I punch a hole in the tops of the old filters with a screwdriver before loosening them so that there is less oil in the filter when I remove it. Use a rag or a bunch of paper towels under the old filters as you lift them off and it shouldn't make too much of a mess.

John

PS Make sure that your oil drain pan can hold 19 quarts!

8. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    John:

Thanks for your honest reply. The 400i owner's manual only shows the location of the drain plug, no tips on how to change the oil. I was just wondering why the Ferrari dealers were taking 2 hours to do a job that would take less than an hour in my book- I didn't want to miss anything important!

-Kraig

9. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    I got UFI 2316202 (Ferrari # 191993) from Ferrari of Central Fla. After warming everything up I waited a few minutes and removed the filters without punching holes and they didn't leak a drop of oil when I took them off. Maybe I was just lucky. Going to do it again soon so time will tell.

Ditto the recommendation on making sure the drain pan will hold 18+ quarts! Put in Valvoline 20-50 because that's what was used at the 30K service by Shelton just prior to my purchase. I use Mobil 1 in new stuff but I'm concerned about the potential of it leaking more than standard oil in my old cars. Maybe those are old wives tales.

Al

10. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #10 400iGuy, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig

Just ordered a pair of the UFIs from Rutlands. Cost for 2 was $52.40, including shipping. What's the dealers cost with tax?

Kraig

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The filters have an anti-drain standpipe in them so that they always should have some oil in them on starting even though they are "upside down". That probably is why you didn't get any big leakage.

I just have done it, maybe unnecessarily, since I got the car.

John

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Egads you guys! Buy the Baldwin filters stock number B253. They are better than UFI and cost about $10 each. $25 for an oil filter is the ripoff of the century.

Birdman

14. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    I found Baldwin B253 online for $15.92 plus 9.80 shipping for 2! That's $20+ per filter, more than I paid for the UFI. Granted I've seen reports Baldwin are better filters, maybe I can find a local retailer before the next oil change(Baldwin's website is of no help). On the other hand, it's worth a couple of bucks to keep a relationship going with the local Ferrari dealership, I don't use them for service so oil filters is about it.

Al

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Care to share where you are buying them for that price?

16. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
  17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The eBay guy is a ripoff too. I buy them at a local truck supply place for under $10 each, I swear. (At least they were under $10 each last time I bought them, a year or two ago. I bought 4 to keep me going for a while). I found the local place by going to the Baldwin website and doing a search for my local dealer.

Many Fchatters have told me that the Baldwin is the best filter, but I am no oil filter expert. All I know is that the Baldwin is best, the Fram is worst and the UFI is expensive.

Just go here:

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/

And put in your zip code.

Birdman

18. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Birdman,
    That is great! My cost $11.53. Thanks!

19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Sweet! Ok, inflation. They are under $12 now! ;)

Glad to help!

Birdman

20. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    This came up with a hand full of local truck parts places. I'll see what their prices and inventory are like before the next oil change.

Thanks,
    Al

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Another Baldwin user here.

22. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    You can also use the Mann W940/1.

Mann is OE for Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc....Very high quality German made filters with anti-drainback valves. I've used them on all of my 308s and have yet to have any problems. Oil pressure on startup registers almost instantly on my 80K mile 308 using the Mann filter. They can be bought from CFP Filters for around $12/each.

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

23. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    $32.00

24. Euro Quattro

Euro Quattro Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Kent
    I paid $17.61 for the B-253 today at a place called oil filter service co in portland Oregon.I probably paid too much but they were the only ones around that had them.

25. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    My UFIs came in today. (oofies? You eff eyes?)
    I attended a Ferrari concourse event over the weekend on Rodeo Drive, and saw plenty of UFIs, and even a few Frams, but no Baldwins on the million dollar cars!
    Do judging rules prohibit them, perhaps?

Curious,
    Kraig