Who Bought It ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Who Bought It ?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 300GW/RO, Oct 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Are you bragging about you stroke😂

2. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    My stroke is short, but personally and in this case effective!

How in the world do I represent the car now?

* There are no records in the file (which is very extensive) referring to a motor swap.
    * The engine numbers are F101. C101 *00173*
    * Official stroke measurement is 71 mm performed by 20 year Ferrari tech.

Is it possible that all the nomenclature and or serial number knowledge is not absolute?

Thoughts?

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nothing in the vintage Ferrari world is absolute. We have documented many times cars within 10 serial numbers of each other having totally different parts installed from the factory.
    As far as your dilemma is concerned? <shugs> "Beats me!"

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    What you have. Nothing wrong

5. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    After measuring the actual stroke of BDC - TDC at 71 mm, we now have a known engine size. It would be cost prohibitive to re-engineer a 400 block to have a shorter throw. I can't even conceptualize how one would do that let alone why.

Working with the auction house now to figure out how to manage the incorrect catalog information. Oh well. Everything happens for a reason! I am very pleased to now know the car has a 365 motor in it.

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Scott,

I think that in absence of absolute certainty (formal documentation from Ferrari and/or a full measurement analysis of the engine, etc) that one should continue to use the block's engine number as a basis to describe the engine. Using empirical data or taking a few measurements, etc, I believe, is not enough to formally declare the engine of another type. In most formal circles a Manufacturer's own serial numbers, VIN Numbers, stampings, etc are considered the most accurate representation/identification of an item, unless this data can be proven incorrect. Consequently, I would contact Ferrari and have them investigate their records (using the engine number, etc) to see if there is any information on this block, but also if it would be possible that the engine was mis-stamped. That being said... what a mystery this is turning out to be!

Cheers,

Sam