Which unloved cars today will be prized cars in the future? | FerrariChat

Which unloved cars today will be prized cars in the future?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by sjb509, May 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Perhaps unloved is too harsh, but I couldn't think of another one which fit in the context of my meaning. Let me give an example: Thirty years ago, a 250GTO was considered an obsolete race car. Beautiful as it may have been, some changed hands for less than $10,000 at the time. We all know these 39 cars today are worth millions each ($4-5M minimum?).

Just for fun I would like to get everyone's opinion on what cars they think are undervalued today, and could be highly prized collector cars in the future. While none of the cars on my list will likely appreciate 40000% like the aformentioned GTO, most of these cars you can buy for little money. In twenty or thirty years, these cars may bring six-figure sell prices at Barrett-Jackson 2025, IMO.

Here is just a few to get started:
    BMW M6. Very rare when new, even more so today. Classic 80's BMW styling.

GMC Cyclone/Typhoon. Already some people are hanging on to these trucks. Their performance when new was incredible (especially off the line).

Callaway Corvette. A factory-option tuner car that will be sought-after as the ultimate 80's vette. Look at big-block cars from the 60's and see how their prices have escalated. One sold at B-J this year for $30k.

Corvette ZR1. Like the Callaway, except came from the factory rather then sent to the tuner.

Porsche 944 Turbo S. These are already prized by some, but prices are still below $20k, for now. The little 4-banger that could. An owner that hasn't modified it to the hilt or autocrossed it to death could be sitting on serious money down the road.

Single mirror Testarossa. A scruffy one can be bought in the low $40s. In thirty years, a rolling resto project might sell for $140k. Probably still the same money in today's dollars granted, but the owner gets to enjoy the car for half of his life as well.

Others:
    '92 Dodge Viper
    Slant-nose (factory) 911 Turbo
    Acura NSX
    Buick Grand National
    Lotus Twin Turbo

Again, I realize the cars are meant to be enjoyed now, rather than locked away for some future sale. With that said, what cars in the future do you think will make you hit your forehead and say "why didn't I buy one of those when they were cheap?!?!"

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

1988-90 BMW M3 Evo.......4 cylinder performance and great looks as well as a string of race wins under their belt.

1996-97 Porsche 993 Twin Turbo "S"........only a handful made for North America and Canada as well as other markets.

1994 Porsche Turbo 3.6 Litre........a limited build hot car on it's own merits.....but even moreso with the especially rare "S" and flat nose models with the optional factory hi-po motor.

1995 Narrow body 993 Turbo cabrio.....only about 10 factory examples for the best Porsche customers were snuck out the back door.

3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    BMW M Coupe - goes like snot, very low production numbers, unique looks. Will take a while to appreciate in value.

Porsche 928 - well, I just love these :) Plenty of 'em getting parted out or modified, so eventually original examples will climb in value.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Honda Integra Type R

Don't laugh, tuner kids already are in love with them, and judging how yesterday's muscle cars that now command stupid money was Joe Average's favorite eco ride with factory "sport options," this too will be up there like that.

The other is the Toyota Supra (whatever the last gen was before the canned it)

That said I would not buy either, not my cup of tea.

5. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    Mercedes 500E/E500 from 1992-1994... rare... only about 10,000-11,000 made(only 1505 made it to the US) was one of the 1st uber-sedans.... great history, and very low values these days... they must go up some day...

6. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan

I couldn't agree with you more. The M Coupe is such a unique vehicle. There is actually quite a lot of room in the hatch to store things too. So not only is fast and handles well but its somewhat practical for being a 2-seater. I think prices have actually risen over the past year(just slightly) and I think it will continue to increase but slowly. I hope to get one within a year or two.

I also think the 993 non-turbo, turbo and turbo S will increase in the future too.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I can see the Pontiac Asstech club concours comparing the condition of their optional Pop Tents

The Chevy SSR should be worth some $. Its sort of cool but its a slow seller now

8. rloewy

rloewy Karting

Aug 4, 2004
    1993-1995 Mazda RX7 (FD).

Prices are low now because they are hard to service and many have been beaten - but they will be worth some money in the future.

I agree about the E30 M3s and the Z3 coupes. As for the 80s M6 - beautiful cars - just not very interesting to drive, IMHO.

9. sampson

sampson Karting

Dec 22, 2004
    near Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Pontiac Aztec!:D Don't panic, only kidding.

In all seriousness, the Nissan Skyline. Now, I don't like Japanese cars much, I only like a very select few, but this car is really sought after. Never produced in the States (I think it was only in Japan), and finding one now is tough. Tuners dream of getting this kind of car to work on.

I agree with the Porsche 928, sweet car, love to own one.

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Before anyone thinks that a 10k car today will follow the same route as a 250 GTO, remember that in the 60's and early 70's, 10k was a lot of money.

Taking inflation into account, that's probably around $100k in today's dollars...

11. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Current Pontiac GTO. The bland look is leading to poor sales and low volumes, but they're actually quite nice. With the 400hp Ls2, it moves well. It's not getting the respect it deserves now, but it probabl will in the future.

Chevy SSR truck. Again, poor seller. Very low volumes. The 300hp 5.3L version sucks, but the 390hp 6.0L Ls2 version might be sought after years from now. Giving the poor sales, they may cut it out of the lineup for good. Nothing like it on the market.

Mustang Cobra R's: Built in 93, 95, and 00. Very rare.

Lotus elise: i can see this being heavily sought after in the future. Almost nothing else like it out there.

New SVT/Shelby GT500: Won't be out till summer of 2006, but you know it'll be very sought after years from now. 450-500hp (final ratings not determined) supercharged 5.4L is as good as any factory performance big block from the 60's. Lives upto the old Shelby GT500's.

1994-1996 Impala SS: Last of the real Impalas. LT-1 v8.

2002 Collectors edition Firebird, or any of the 93-02 SLP firehawks: We may never see another firebird again. This generation could very well be last of the pontiac pony car.

97-02 Viper GTS coupes: Imo, the best looking Viper to date. Very reminiscent of the old Daytona coupes.

current Chrysler 300C SRT-8: modern luxury muscle car. I could see it having high appeal years from now. That and the HEMI hype. People will still have Hemi in their heads 20+ years from now.

rx7 FD (93-95) - rare and unique in terms of being powered by a twin-turbo rotary engine. Quite potent and the chassis, suspension, and overall handling was a but ahead of its time. Nimble, good looking, and has all the making of a classis.

1989 Firebird 20th anniv turbo: Has turbo 3.8L from Buick GN. Very rare. Was an instant collectable, but a car many don't really know about.

Just a few off the top of my head. I tried to list the more afforable cars.

12. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I checked it on an inflation calculator. Don't know how accurate it is, but it said 10k back in the early to mid 60's is worth about $60k in todays dollar. Still a lot of $$.

13. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    1994 and 1995 toyota mr2 turbo

1995 Lotus Esprit S4S

Acura NSX Zanardi edition

1993-1995 mazda rx-7

Lamborghini Diablo se30 jota

1996 Impala SS

Mercedes SL55

Lincoln Blackwood

14. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Thought of a few more, $30k-ish today:

1996 Corvette Gran Sport (blue w/red interior)
    1993-1997 M-B SL600
    BMW 850
    BMW Z1 (not sure how much $$$ they are today)
    Lambo Jalpa

15. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    8 series BMW

Honda Ridge line - quite a site, only seen one in calgary

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    928,M-6,ZR-1,Grand National,Typhoon and Cyclone have all depreciated much, NSX,Supra,RX-7,Lambos are not unloved yet or ever.

17. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Bimmer 850CSi and M Coupe

Porsche 993 C2S and Turbo S (993, of course), 993GT and perhaps 996 GT2 and 996 GT3 RS (although the latter 2 are still nearly brand new)

Morgan ... cars that are bound to disappear, yet will still have a pool of aficionados.

550 Barchetta (the real thing, not the Stramann conversions)

Renault Clio V6

Diablo SE30 and Diablo GT. I also see the Islero going up. It's a splendid understated car.

Definitely Chevy SSR and perhaps Lincoln BlackWood, too.

Aston Martin Vantage Le Mans or V600, and Zagato version (ie DB-AR1 and Vanquish Zagato)

I'd mention Pagani, Spyker, Koenigsegg and S7, but they haven't depreciated much ... but I'm sure their rareness will be a great factor in a decade or 2.

18. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    OK, how about these:

BMW M1
    Cadillac Allante (Pinninfarina design-unloved now, but wait 20 yrs)
    Volvo 780 (Bertone design-seemed like a good idea when new)
    DeTomaso Pantera
    Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio
    Aston Martin Lagonda
    Qvale Mangusta (only seen one in person)
    Bricklin
    DeLorean
    Excalibur (real ones)

19. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 w/ 4wd, 4w steering, 4w ABS and 300+ hp
    and it's twin...
    Dodge Stealth SRT-10 twin turbo

Hard to find these in pristine condition

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    HA!!!

I think there are only 2-3 of them that are actually running with all of the electronics working at any given point in time...

21. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
  22. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I agree with these for sure. They're not common by any stretch, and they're becoming less so... especially unmolested ones. A client of mine picked up a Syclone that is all original, looks like it rolled off the showromm floor, and has 53,000 miles. Lightweight, AWD, turbocharged...It is spectacular. He bought it for $16,000, plans to hold it long term. Great deal, IMO.

23. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Yeah, those are good ones too.

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Nissan 300ZX turbo that hasn't been slammed.

25. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Find one. Good luck. And a RX-7 while you are at it.