Which SUV? | FerrariChat

Which SUV?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by CRG125, Dec 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    My mom is looking for a new SUV to buy. She currently has an ML430 99 with 120k miles. She hated the car because it had so many problems, so she does not want to get another one. Her choices are the new X5, Cayenne, Range Rover sport, Full size Range Rover and possibly the Q7. Appreciate your feedback.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    sounds like she'd really love a new RR then

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My wife has an Infiniti QX56 and has been very pleased. It seat 8 in comfort, has been reliable and has a fairly luxurious interior...

4. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    The QX56 is nice but way to big for her. The Full Range Rover is pushing it for her. She likes the new X5 because she has a 750li as her other car. The thing I like about the X5 is the 4 year no maintainence from BMW. The other is the Range Rover sport, but how is their reliability?

5. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    Porsche Cayenne gets my vote!
    She could also consider Infiniti FX45.. Its a really nice SUV and its also fast! Good Luck finding the SUV that's right for her!

6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There's not enough info to make an accurate recommendation. Need to know what your mom will use the SUV for, how much space she needs, conditions it will be driven in, what factors are important to her (performance, depreciation, fuel economy (ha ha), features, etc) and so forth.

7. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Toyota Sequoia

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If she doesn't want issues get a Lexus. I pushed my mother into one after a succession of ML's. She couldn't be happier now.

9. NomadM3

NomadM3 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Damon
    Father had an ML500, it spent 1/4 of its life in the shop.

Go for the X5 or the full size RR. RR Sport is exactly what its title says...'sport'. I'm sure your mom would appreciate the luxury of the full size RR over the Sport, but if it is too big for her, the X5 gets my vote.

10. chitown dave

chitown dave Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2005
    well...Chicago
    Full Name:
    well...Dave
    Take a look at the Acura MDX - just ordered one to replace my QX4.

I live in the snowy, salty midwest and just don't want to pay MB service prices for a truck. BMW back was too small for my dog and for skiing. Sequia/gx470 are nice but long in the tooth. QX56 is huge and FX same as the Bimmer in back - although they go like stink.

Porsche SUV? - it's blasphemy to me - and a gussied up VW anyway unless you get the Turbo. Range Rovers have terrible reliability reputations and what happens if I breakdown in the UP of Michigan?

But your needs may differ from mine.

As an aside I seriously considered getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 - serious fun for 40K. Maybe you can talk her into one of those so you can borrow it?

11. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    the new X5 rocks!!! PM me, I'll see if I can get you a good deal at my dealership.

12. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    #12 MufflerMan, Dec 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    +1

14. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Cadillac SRX. They upgraded the interior this year and it's worth looking at.

15. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah

yes it does!

16. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Porsche then BMW. Neither look great (but then again few if any SUVs do) however if she isn't much of a driver I'd probably say lexus-comfy, reliable most people very happy with them-except me. Also check out the new acura MDX or RDX pretty cool also

17. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Jeep SRT8, weeeeeeeeee....