Which one? | FerrariChat

Which one?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by maranello71, Oct 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Let's say I can find, for about 90-95'000 Euro, the following cars:

'03 Ferrari 575M Fiorano, 15'000 Kms
    '04 Lamborghini Gallardo, 10'000 Kms
    '02 Ferrari 360 Spider F1, 20,000 Kms

I love all of these cars, for different reasons. I really find it difficult to say which one would be my favourite from an emotional point of view, so I'd like to take a rational approach. Assuming ownership for 4 years, which one is going to lose most value??? I'd say the 575 will drop the most, but where will it stop, will the Fiorano package be worth something and are we sure that the Gallardo will hold on as well as today? Everyone's opinion is welcome!

2. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Why not comparing F1 gearshifting + fiorano package for all of them, just to find a 'rule'?
    Guess you can lose 20.000 € over 4 years in all of these cars.

Some economical considerations like fuel consumtion, spare part prices,
    8 cylinders etc. plead for the 360. It will stay the most solid in value.
    Spiders are always popular, even older cars which can't keep up anymore performancewise. :D

Buddy just purchased a 360 Spider, 6 gear, CH seats, for about 90.000 €.
    He was giving away his Gallardo for this! :D
    For him and a few others, it's not all about performance - but fun & economical thoughts.

cinque

PS:
    From your 550 jumping into the 575 is a waste of ...
    I' wouldn't do so.

3. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    I would only jump into a 575 Fiorano with GTC package (racing seats, 19'' wheels, louder exhaust and F.1 gearbox). I agree that jumping into a basic 575 wouldn't be a clever move.

However, after driving the Gallardo I am really impressed by that car - it has almost as much torque as the 550 but it feels much smaller, better for mountain roads. The 360 spider for me has one great flaw: no torque :) but I guess I need to try one out to evaluate it subjectively.

4. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Sure, this Gallardo provides the most fun in the mountains, but you asked as an "investor". :D
    Go for it! And strech your season with winter tyres.

cinque

5. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    It is a very personal decision.
    I would choose the 360 spider because I like the way it looks.
    Fuel consumption on the 575 is horrendous. Ask Mark C. about this feature. :)
    The Gallardo just doesn't do it for me.
    I agree that the biggest depreciation will be on the 575.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    360 Spider.

The Gallardo does nothing for me.
    And you already tried the Maranello experience.

7. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    I would also say the 360 Spider...
    But coming from a 12 cylinders, maybe you would be a little bit desapointed with the 360 V8...

The Gallardo...i don't like its look...
    The 575 GTC, you already own a 550...so ...

Why not a F512 M...12 cylinders...mid engined...last boxer...

8. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Andrea,
    It is all down to what you want to do with the Car. Whilst you could be right naming the 575 as the potential looser on the depreciation side, with 360 and Gallardo almost equal, after that everything is personal. I love open air.... Narrow, twisty roads are the Ferrari territory, so if that is the environment you will be driving in the choice could be easy.
    Lambo is great torque and power, but perhaps not so effective in the mountains. Anyway, they are both nice cars-
    Ciao
    Eugenio

9. rpmtifosi

rpmtifosi Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Guy
    I would go for the 360 spider :)

Or maybe...... a Challenge Stradale!?? No open driving :( , but it's lighter, has carbon brakes, a bit more power, even better handling,.... :D ;)

10. F.575.M

F.575.M Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2006
    Nederland
    Full Name:
    Koen
    Please, not the 360 Spider.

I don't know a 575M Fiorano? Do you mean 575M Maranello or 599 GTB Fiorano maybe?

I would say

1) 575M
    2) Gallardo Spyder
    3) 360 Spider

360 is not that beautiful as a Gallardo and not as beautiful and fast as the 575M... I wouldn't compare a 575 and 360.

11. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    360 Spider: nice but too slow. When you're hooked on the 500 HP class, nothing else will do :) and the 360 Spider is also quite heavy. I'll test one anyway, to see how it feels.

Challenge Stradale: too expensive right now. Should go down a bit.

575 with Fiorano or GTC package: I love that car. Fuel consumption is no worse than the 550 - the reason why our friend mark was using so much fuel is that he was playing with the F.1 gearbox all the time just to hear that lovely engine! :) :). However, I think it should go down (today in CH the cheapest 575 Fiorano with carbon seats and 19'' wheels is 106'000 Euros)

Gallardo: try it and you'll love it. It's like a go-kart with 500 HP. I was really impressed when I drove it two weeks ago, more than I would have thought.

12. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Andrea

No doubt the 575 is a step up from the 550 and very much different enough to justify the change , I'd recommend the F1 box and you must get the Fiorano pack, Fiorano brakes are OK although the GTC carbon items I'm sure would be even better!. You all saw the fuel consumption :eek: but it's worth it believe me :)

I've never been a fan of the 360 although the Spider is better to look at than the Coupe IMHO, I think you would miss the torque

Lamborghini...they make Tractors don't they :D seriously though I'm sure a very capable car and very dramatic, love the looks and the sound, it's suggested it is not that involving to drive, a bit too 'Audi' although I have no experience

maybe you should be thinking of a 612 or a late 456 with the family on the way :)

Speak soon, regards to Rachael and looking forward to any tour plans for 2007 :)

13. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Hi Mark

the plans for 2007 are "work in progress"... more news before Christmas.

I think a 575 Fiorano or HGTC will do perfectly, the problem right now is that I can't find one for the right price in Switzerland. However I've got all winter to find one...

The Gallardo drives magnificently and has lots of torque, just the way we like our engines :)

I really like the 612 but the cheapest today cost like a new F430, and for that price I know what I'd order... I think we'll leave the baby with the grandparents for a week!

On a different note: I've been offered a brand new Exige 265, with compressor, 265BHP, 0-100 in 9.2s, racing set-up (it's really low!) wings and deep front spoiler, 4-point belts... and it only costs £35,000!!! What do you think, would we cook/become deaf/break our backs if we were to drive a racing Exige to Tuscany??? :) I love the way it looks and sounds...

14. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Are you crazy? With the Exige in the Tuscan hills we will NEVER be able to follow. :)

15. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Andrea

Leaving the Baby is a good plan :)

If you were younger :D, single and not used to the finer things in life I'd say get the Exige, if you want a good track car that you can alss use on the road for some back road blasts then again the Exige would be great, but to cross Europe on tour, I think I'd go with the 575 :)

16. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Andrea

Just thought, RogerB has recently moved from a 550 to a 360 spider, if you'd like to get his views I could put him in touch

17. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Thanks Mark, that would be great. Honestly I don't think I would be able to live without my V12 torque for very long - I'd probably get bored of the Modena Spider within 12 months. However it is a beautiful and - now - affordable car, so I am interested in hearing more about the change of experience!

I suspect I'll end up waiting 2 years for the F430 to come down, or I may jump to an interim Gallardo if they do finally go down next spring (no hope now, they're actually going UP!). And of course a 575GTC is always attractive... if I can find one... :)

18. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins