Which Exotic can you drive everywhere? | FerrariChat

Which Exotic can you drive everywhere?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Innovativethinker, Sep 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Anyone that drives an exotic know you can only drive them to limited places. Either for fear of having it vandalized, abused by Valets, or just presenting the wrong impression (such as driving it to a client or to work). I'm sure many have different opinions but in the end there is a jealously surrounding Exotics which can bring out the worst in people, that is not what this thread is about.

I'm trying to figure out which exotic has the least amount of "jealousy" factor, or the one which no one really knows what they cost. I want an exotic I can drive to work and not make the employee jealous, to the client so they don't think I am overpaid, and to the movies and I don't have to park it in the north 40.

The only car that I came up with was the Aston Martin Vantage.

Suggestions about what other car may fit the bill?

2. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    911 is probably the better choice for a daily driver with better reliability and all wheel drive capability. There are so many of them around that seeing one is really a non-event however that is also what can keep it from exotic status.

One day I'll get a Gallardo and drive it year round as my primary vehicle, the ultimate daily driver for me.

3. BAKY

BAKY Formula 3

May 23, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bobby
    You know, I think you can drive any car anywhere you would normally be going as long as your cool about it. If you have a nice car, its expected people are going to want to talk to you about it. I drive my Veyron all the time.....shorts, tshirts, ball cap and flip flops.....I certainly dont look like what people expect getting out of it and thats a plus for me, but if engaged I always try to be courteous and tell them about the car. Never had any issues with anything and I drive it frequently. Whether its customers, employees, or strangers most people like the cars, but its the pricks that tend to get out of them that they hate and have a problem with.

That being said, I never drive an exotic to a bar..... alcohol brings out the idiots.

4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I owned a Vantage convertible, a great car but I would not call it a sports car, but a great cruiser. Never drove a BD and I am sure they are better

Actualy the best answer is the post after your OP i.e. a 911. I have owned quite a few 911s and they are great cars. I used to avoid all wheel drive cars but modern technology makes them almost feel the same. The Turbo is just awesome and the other lower cost 922s are not bad either.

The Lotus Evora if you want something that looks great and is very different. They drive better than anything I have ever driven. They make the Evora at different price points depending on engine.

The other car I would recommend may surprise you and that is a Corvette, These cars starting with the 2008 model are world class for driving. The ZR1 with 638hp is an amazing car. In my mind better than the 458 Ferrari. The F car does have better looks and sound, but for driving hard to beat.

Hope you find what you want

Best
    Lee

5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Porsche is an exotic . OP inquired about DD exotic i.e Lamborghini Ferrari McLaren etc.

6. 412fan

412fan Karting

Aug 1, 2005
    Northern Plains
    The LM002 comes to mind, though a bit dated

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I think a Turbo Porsche is an exotic. Base 911 maybe, or base 911S well?
    The cars you mention are exotics. What about R8 audi?

I think a Mosler is an exotic. hard to know when is a car just a sport car or an exotic also.

Great question it will be interested what the forum thinks in mass :)

Best

Lee

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I daily'd a Vantage and later a DBS at one point. Nice cars to look at but lacked soul and performance. The Aston is somewhat understated and doesn't attract too much attention, depending on color.

I don't think any "exotic" will truly fly under the radar by definition.
    Not sure if you can call a 911 an exotic because there are so many on the road and the general public has no clue about the differences between year and makes of them. But the 911 does seem to "blend" in more.
    Otherwise a unique MB or BMW would blend in as well, but not exotic.
    My wife drives a Flying Spur to work but she gets a lot of comments on that car. I now daily a Lotus and that garners a lot of attention as well.
    Tough call.

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I think an R8 would be the best bet.

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I agree. I do get more attention with this car than I espected. Although it is a nice looking car it does not stand out in my view,but it seems to caaaause a crowd.

When I park in a fast food place I get alot of cars that stop just to see the car.

MINE IS A V10 they are a great drivers car but not stealthy as I expected

One car that is not exotic but a wonderful drivers car is the VW Race. it is a real fun to drive car at a fairly reasonable price tag for what it is.

best

Lee

11. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    The Panoz advertised right here on Fchat. Of course when it snows it will get interesting

12. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    911 no matter which package isn't an exotic . Carrera GT is ...R8 jury still out. Porsche 911 is a car that you see every day.( high production numbers )

Porsche does make for good DD

13. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    DEFINTELY the Audi R8. I have had numerous F-cars, Lambo's, Porsches and such and my R8 is easily the best DD exotic I have ever had. Its docile and subtle when cruising but transforms into a true exotic supercar when asked to.

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Whats a vw race?

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    550 maranello. 90% have no idea what it is. Get silver and drive in peace anywhere anytime. And a 911 is as exotic as a m3 BMW

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I think the terms "exotic" and "can drive anywhere" are mutually exclusive. You can have only one.

Just the way society is today.....

17. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I think it's more important to find a vehicle you can live with on a daily basis and fits you. For every customer or client that is resentful you'll probably find one that thinks it's cool and for the idiots you have insurance. R8 is a great choice but I personally would go a step further with the Gallardo.;)

18. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yugo. Definitely exotic and definitely something you can drive everyday...until something falls off!

19. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    A 550 like mentioned above, or even better yet, a 456. If ever there was a Ferrari that could "fly under the radar," that's it.

Flying under the radar is one thing; having a car that is exotic (i.e. gets noticed) yet does not evoke feelings of jealousy is something different, and for that, I would look toward Lotus.

Whereas many people have never heard of Lotus, among the general public who have, no one has ever said "Lotus owners are a**holes." There are negative stereotypes about Ferrari owners (jerks, a**holes, etc.), Porsche owners (think porcupine joke), and even Lamborghini owners (compensating, "silk shirt, gold chain", fragile ego, three-inch-thingy, etc.), but I've never heard any negative stereotypes about Lotus owners. If you hear anything about Lotus owners at all, the sentiment is usually something along the lines that that person must be a serious car enthusiast.

I've never owned a new exotic, but I've done plenty of miles in Ferrari 308s and Lotus Esprits, and the reaction from the general public between the two cars couldn't be more different. In the 308, I've been called an a**hole for no reason whatsoever; strangers asked me how much money I made, what I did for a living, and how much it cost; questions and comments were never about the car -- they were always about money. And people treated me different. In the Esprit, the comments were always positive -- they ranged from "whoa, cool, what is it" to "wow, a Lotus!" The comments were (and still are) always about the car. Never been asked what it cost, how much I make, how'd I pay for it, or if Higgins knew I'd taken it. :p

With the 308, I always worried when I left it somewhere. Always worried that someone would key it, spit on it, sit on it and dent it, etc. With the Esprits, never a worry.

Now I realize you are most likely looking for a new, newer, or modern car; so my point is that I wonder if the same holds true for the Evora vs. let's say a 360 or 430. Is my experience above a Lotus vs. Ferrari thing, or is it an Esprit vs. 308 thing? If it's an Esprit thing, get a V8 Esprit -- lots of exotic fun, all the performance you need, they've held up well, and you'll get lots of smiles, no meanies.

20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #20 DGS, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    Ferrari 400i. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

But ... on the roads, my EVO gets more hostility than the 328. So ... avoid a big wing on the back. :p

These days, any car that's built for people to *drive* will get hostility.
    Anyone not lining up in the ditherlock with the rest of the cattle will be the target of conformist intolerance.

Nothing says "following the herd" like a Prius. ;)
    Or a butt-ugly SUV.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Exotic has more to do with rarity and unusualness than performance. I think the Porsche Carrera, 959, 935, GT2, GT3 and TurboS are all exotics.

22. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm not a huge fan of the 911, I'm not basing that on the merits of the car, just too many of them out there and they have the porcupine perception problem.

Had a Corvette, great value for the money and at the present time this is my second choice behind the Aston Martin.

I'm not necessarily looking for a sports car, something very nice yet understated (and under the radar).

The 550 is a great suggestion, but looking for a newer model (California doesn't do it for me).

The Lotus Evora is an interesting car, I think I'll look at this one: Newport European Motorcars is a Rolls Royce Lotus dealer in Newport Beach offering new, used, certified used, parts, service

23. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    #23 V-TWELVE, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If don't necessarily want a sports car and would like understated, what about an RS5? It's a beautiful understated 450hp performance car with all season usability.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Which is the better car - the RS5 or the Advantage?

25. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    What is the "Advantage"?