Which Car: Real life costs vs. joy of ownership over a LONG haul | FerrariChat

Which Car: Real life costs vs. joy of ownership over a LONG haul

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by scottjua, May 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scottjua

scottjua Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Plano, TX
    So my wife asked me this evening: "Which dream car do you see yourself owning in reality? Really think about it, and learn about them in terms of costs of parts, maintenance, and if you'll really want them."

I named three after some thought.

Lamborghini Gallardo (maybe Superleggera would be within grasp)
    Porsche 911 GT3 RS
    Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale

I've driven none of them to this point, have ridden in both the Lambo (SL also) and the GT3 RS on track. I did however recently drive an F430 Scuderia on track briefly. I figure this is a fair comparison for the 360 CS in terms of overall dynamics, and my first experience with the F1 paddle shift in a car and actually didn't mind it for track driving . I thought I'd deplore the lack of interaction, but on track it makes perfect sense and gels completely.

My main leaning is a MANUAL transmission car, but the Scuderia actually put to rest some of my trepidation toward the F1 tranny, and in turn the Lambo's E gear.

Some considerations for my intended use: Daily driving split between one or two other cars, so yes it would be driven regularly. It WOULD see as much track time as my schedule and finances would allow.

So my questions are for those who have owned or do own any of them:

What are they like to live with and own in the real world? Are the costs of parts completely ridiculous?

For the cars that come with Carbon Ceramic brakes, I would seriously plan on converting them to a steel rotor setup to keep consumable costs way down, as I know CCBs are pretty pricey. Is this doable? I know the GT3 RS is no problem, but I have no knowledge as of yet in the Lambo or Ferrari department.

How DIY maintenance and work friendly are these things? I like to wrench on my own cars to a point and would LOVE to actually do as much as I can myself in way of taking care of it and repairs. How much of a reality is it with this trio? Any one of them more DIY friendly than the other?

Finally, I don't care much for their values in dollars after I own it... only the value to me as a source of enjoyment, so no keeping off the miles to keep them marketable. I plan to only buy pre-owned, and would prefer a car that has been well used, but taken care of by a real enthusiast. That said... I'd love to get an opinion on which of the three is the better value when you consider enjoyment, least amount of headache in ownership, and driveability on track and street. I'd plan to keep whatever I got for a LONG time, so long time enjoyment is key.

I know it's long winded, but thanks in advance to anyone with input. ^_^

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Okay, real world, meaning daily commute, (none of the cars would be fun sitting in traffic, F1, Egear cars tend to be jerky in those situations, and the Porsche has a heavy clutch), so I'll give you the best advise you are ever going to get, buy none of those. They are all designed to do their best on a track. Buy a used 997S and mod the hell out of it. I have one, granted I spent well over 100k on modes (you do not have to go that far), you can pick a decent one up for around 50K, and if your handy after about 25K (if you're not handy add another 10K in labor) in mods the car will be as good or better than any of the cars you mentioned.

3. scottjua

scottjua Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Plano, TX
    #3 scottjua, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    OK... that's a good point. I forgot to clarify my definition of daily driving... I work from home on weekdays, and would have a different car to do work chores in. So my daily driver duties would consist of going to the gym, getting groceries, going out in general in NON-RUSH HOUR traffic for errands and such.

Plus of course commuting 1 1/2 hours to the track on the weekends I had available to go.

Given that circumstance... what do you think?

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #4 ylshih, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    I've owned or driven all 3 (not early Gallardos but the SL and LP560-4). I would rank them as GT3 RS, CS, Gallardo; in best to next best order (using "worst" doesn't seem quite right).

I didn't like the Gallardo as much, as it seemed a bit out of touch with the AWD. The CS is a bit twitchier than the Scud and requires staying high in the rev band on track, but has a better exhaust sound. The GT3 RS handles and performs a bit better than the CS and has the stick, which you seem to prefer. The CS is also a bit tiring to drive beyond 1-2 hours, while the GT3 RS is comparatively comfortable. The Porsche will also cost less to maintain. On the other hand, the CS will feel more "special" for a longer time; if you want the maximum differential between this car and daily drivers.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    None of these cars are DIY and while I can't confirm this I would be surprised if a brake swap as you describe wouldn't require other changes to related electronics.

The parts costs are steep. There was a thread on FChat about $5000 headlamp lenses for the 360, and IIRC a replacement windscreen is over $3000. I don't know what a replacement digital instrument cluster would cost, but you get the idea.

If you want a track car that you can wrench yourself, get a Porsche 356, early 911, or a carb'ed Ferrari 308. Seriously, the era of the 'fun in your garage' car ended in the early 1970s. You can overhaul a 356 engine for the cost of a Ferrari 360 headlamp lens. And Porsche 911s were designed for everyday driving as well as sport/track use.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I still think I'd do exactly what I suggested, though my Gallardo has been changed to RWD (among other things), it is still that insanely moded Porsche that sits next to it that is the car (consider I've owned about 250 cars including 4 Ferrari's) that gives me the best thrill of any car I've ever owned or driven. Bullfighter is probably right about the brake swap, though if you are going to track the car, not sure why you would remove them. I do not know your level of experience on a track, but chances are you'll want the brakes, might keep you from doing some serious damage.

7. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    I would guess that a steel brake conversion on a CS would be (in practical terms) close to undoable, or otherwise just completely unnecessary...the CS uses center-locking hubs, and the normal 360 uses a five lug bolt pattern... I'm sure it could be done, but do you really want to fool with it?

In terms of the three cars you mentioned--emotionally, I would have to say go with the CS, but only because I've ridden in one and was completely ruined as a result. I haven't touched either of the other two. If those three cars are really within your long term budget, then just pick the one that you like.

Otherwise, I'd so do something like what Bullfighter suggested...actually, I'd buy something even cheaper. I'd get an S2000 or an M3 and go to town on the thing. I mean, if you're going to track it often, it's hard to beat a Honda for replacement parts (even replacement aftermarket parts...), and the S2000 has a fantastic chassis from which to build what you have in mind. AND it's a convertible.

Or an Elise, Exige, Caterham, etc. You see where I'm going. But I know--they aren't dream cars.

Such is the price of mystic...

8. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #8 Bullfighter, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
    I think the problem comes with "dream cars" and "tracking". I just went through this mental agony/resolution with the car I'm restoring now. Unless you're frighteningly rich, you probably need to accept that the categories are somewhat mutually exclusive.

(Obviously if you're Jon Shirley and can campaign your vintage Ferrari 250 TR at Monterey, Coronado, etc., disregard this post...)

Ultimately I decided some time ago that my original idea of having one car for all purposes wasn't going to work in the real world. Racing or even serious casual track use puts cosmetic and mechanical demands on a car that wear it out. Once the garage situation improves, and I have a third bay, I may very well look into a Lotus, or race-prepped Porsche 356 coupe, or similar car that I can afford to thrash, fix, respray, repeat, without losing sleep over it.

9. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    In terms of "long haul" maintainence I suspect that you would be unhappy with the cost to repair anything other than a full manual gearbox. I would not be surprised if the cost of an F1 gearbox will be 1/2 the risidual cost of the car in 10 years time.

10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    That is what I have been thinking about the change over the last few years to everyone going to a paddle shifting manual that uses one or two clutches. It is almost as if they have planned obsolescence with even exotics. Or perhaps a better way to call it is planned worthlessness.

At some point 15-20 years from new there are parts of the car which a) are so expensive to replace it keeps used buyers from taking the plunge and b) encourages the car to be broken for these same expensive parts if anything ever goes wrong with the rest of the car.

Example being: imagine in 2020 you have a 360 Spider (worth $50k at the time) and get into a fender bender. Dirty carfax, paint work, etc means the car might now be worth $40k after you pay to fix it. The F1 transmission and engine is good, worth $20k on the used market. The other parts of the car are worth at least another $25k broken up and sold piecemeal.

So what is an owner to do? Pay thousands to fix and then accept loss of value, or pocket the insurance money and sell off the damaged car to a breaker?

11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Can't argue with anything here.

I think viewing anything built after ~1990 as a "keeper" is bordering on delusional.

12. scottjua

scottjua Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Plano, TX
    All great points... I'll have some time to do research, see where the market goes on them all and soul search as well before I'm in the position to act upon it.

Thanks for the input so far guys, it's fun to read everyone's perspective.

rossocorsa13 , I'm pretty sure the CS uses a 5 lug wheel/hub. I'm not sure how that translates, but I would imagine if there's a steel replacement rotor, it would be as simple as swapping it out. Again... I defer to those with more knowledge... I'm maybe making it more simple than it is in my head. I'll have to look into it for sure.

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #13 Simon^2, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
    Agree... when the electrics start going on modern cars, it'll get really expensive very quickly.

I personally think the best option for a driver at reasonable prices is to buy a "high milage" (maybe 20k) 10-15 year old car. drive it to 30-40K miles. sell. repeat.

I would want to be out of the car when the elctronics start to fail...

Now, assuming a ferrari or lambo would be a 3rd car,... with 3rd car to do routine maintenance on... and a 3rd car to insure...

from a purely cost POV, a porsche that would be a DD will win buy a wide margin.

So the real question is,... is the extra cost of ferrari / lambo worth it to you?

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    For long term fun, low maintenance, and next to zero depreciation get a 996 GT2.

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Or a 328.

16. W.Raleigh

W.Raleigh Karting

May 18, 2010
    USA
    Gallardo with a 6 speed would be the best daily driver of that bunch... The clutch is not too heavy but it definitely wants to take off as soon as the the clutch engages. Still I wouldn't want to drive any of those to work in traffic.

The F1 Superfast is a decent transmission and the E-Gear in the LP 560 is not bad either but the cars that you would be looking at (as far as automated manuals go) have jerky rough transmissions that will be extremely annoying in traffic...and while parking.

I would opt for a car with a real automatic...or maybe a DCT if you don't frequently stop on hills.