Which car? R8/gallardo/Gtr | FerrariChat

Which car? R8/gallardo/Gtr

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 3604u, May 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Hi,
    Am thinking of buying a used R8, the v10
    Gallardo a 2007 Gallardo
    2009 Nissan skyline Gtr!

Anyone here has any suggestions,

Need a daily driver and also power for tue tracks.

Am looking more at the r8, but it's an Audi. Wanted a Gtr but heard too many horror stories. The Gallardo is nice but a stretch on my budget.

Anyone can share their views :)

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Wow. Thats 3 very different cars.

First I am not a GTR fan... so that's out for me.

R8-V10 vs Gallardo... How flashy do you want your daily to be?

I would love an R8-V10 Spyder as a daily,... but it has almost no storage space (and since I have 2 kids, my daily really needs back seats). Not as fast as a 997 Turbo S, but PLENTY fast IMHO.

The cars are so different,... I think it comes down to what you want, and what you want to spend.

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    For a daily, why not get a regular R8? Less cylinders, less maintenance. I'd opt for the GTR as a daily, more internal space, and has emergency back seats in case you needed to take some people with you.

4. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Id wait a few years for the GTR and R8 cause you know its gonna drop in value. Go for the Gallardo.

5. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    R8.. Great all around car.

6. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    GTR's are bulletproof once they fixed the launch control issue. Gallardo hands down however.

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Wouldn't u b able to buy new gtr for less than used audi or Lambo would cost?

8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    R8

It's a "better made, Daily Driver - Gallardo" - IMO

This is coming from someone who has driven both for several days, driving both off and on each day. The R8 draws the same attention IMO, but is more comfortable to drive, get in and out of parking spaces, better outward vision, etc..

I'd say, go drive both for an hour, doing your normal routine and see what YOU like better

Steve

9. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I would pick the Gallardo over the V10 R8, since if you're gonna shell out the cash for the V10 you might as well get the Gallardo.

Bang for buck though I'd go GT-R

I love the R8 but there's too many good choices.

10. stcloud

stcloud Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Just got a 2012 gtr, loads of fun. Just finished the first 300 miles so more enjoyment to come :)

11. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    for a DD i'd probably opt for a 911 turbo, but if you are dead set on one of those three I'd go gallardo, even though the other two are better DD cars, I wouldn't want either of them.

12. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Gallardo. I have one and rotate it through as DD and no reason you could not. that said, stupid expennsive to maintain, even compared to R8. Get a depreciated late '04 car and I bet it depreciates more slowly than the other 2 over the next 5 yrs or so

13. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    +1 to the 911 Turbo, but thats not a choice so Id have to say the R8.

And thats only b/c you say DD and I think the Gallardo may just grab too much attention as a DD.

Caveat here is if you actually *like* the GT-R. Personally, I wouldnt take one if it were free. The performance is great, but the design is monstrous IMO.

If *you* like it though, it seems an obvious choice. Just get a used one that has already taken the sledge hammer depreciation hit.

14. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I second this.

15. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Please elaborate on the expensive maintenance. I've thought about a Gallardo as a daily myself.

16. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    If you can get past the looks go with the GTR. It has the performance and Japanese quality. If appearance is that important, go for the Gallardo. It has the performance and the looks, just be ready to keep you wallet open once you buy it. Regarding the R8, why bother?