Whey protein mixes: beneficial or bs? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Whey protein mixes: beneficial or bs?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Bullfighter, Jul 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have always taken a multi, even as a kid. I've switched away from Centrum though. I try various ones now. Usually one more geared towards weight lifters on the days I work out, and something like a Mens One-A-Day on off days.

It should be noted, unless your are Iron deficient, men should use a Iron-free Multi.

2. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Do you have a link to view the nutrition info?

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No. Gimme a few mins and i'll take a pic of the label for you

4. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #29 SefacHotRodder, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  6. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #31 SefacHotRodder, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
    Yea. I like this stuff and its the best i've found. So basically my stack right now is:

- Nitrix - 3 pills, 3 times a day, every day

- Max Complex Protein, Once in the morning and again after i work out

- Cellucor M5, 45 mins before working out

- and right now but probably not after i run out i take MRI Black Powder with the M5

- and on some days, but not often at all i take Cellucor D4 Thermal Shock. Its a serious fat burning supplement and gives me the chills (its meant to) and really ****s me up but is one of the best out there

- GNC Vitamin pack only because i didn't re-order multi vites or fishoil yet. STAY AWAY FROM ALL GNC "PACKS". THEY ARE ****. I just got this to carry me over until my next re-order from healthspot.com which is run by a friend of mine. He's always been helpful and i ask him at least 1 question a day on AIM and every time he answers me

Its a pretty serious stack and the M5 and black powder together probably isn't a good idea (and keeps me up longer than usual the night of taking it) and the D4 is nuts

When i reorder and start to get seriously organized about this i'll be doing this

- Nitrix - 3 pills, 3 times a day, every day

- Max Complex Protein, Once in the morning and again after i work out

- Cellucor M5, 45 mins before working out

- Afterglow, which is taken right after workout and aides in recovery. Insulin spike with protein, bcaas, glutamine and stuff for your tendons. Also reduces cortisol (stress hormone) and has sodium potassium vitamins and minerals

- evopro shake before i go to bed. Cassien protein that will slowly digest when i sleep

I honestly believe that the above stack is what will really get the job done for me. I've done a lot of experimenting and this is what i've come up with

Cellucor M5 is one of the best creatine supplements out there. Its the equivalent of NO Xplode except its a hundred times better. BSN is actually getting sued right now for claiming that certain things are in NO Xplode that aren't in it. The stuff is **** and the only reason it does well is because they have a very good marketing campaign. One of the only BSN products that actually works is Nitrix

7. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice. I've thought about taking other stuff, but it's too damn expensive and with what I'm taking right now I'm seeing good results.

I never shop in GNC nor buy their products. They don't leave you alone. I'm taking Men's Ultimate Vitamin Shoppe multi right now. I like it a lot. I only take it on days I work out usually.

Read all about the BSN controversy on BB.com. I've bought Sytha-6 a few times. Tastes good. But haven't used it in at least 6 months.

8. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #33 SefacHotRodder, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    Same. Tasted amazingly good but after i read everything thats going on, i decided to stay away. I haven't used it in about 6 months either.

I'm thinking i might try this on my next order. It looks pretty impressive on paper and its had some decent reviews:

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/pro-complex-p-205.html

9. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Everyone that is interested in this thread should at least check out bodybuilding.com- TONS of info there. Great customer service, I've never had a a problem, plus feedback from personal experiences that even I have contributed towards.

On another note- its been long told that the body cannot absorb more than 40-45gr of protein at once. I wont get into medical details, but the main reason most servings top out at 40 or so grams. The rest would just be passed through.

10. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #35 SefacHotRodder, Aug 4, 2008
    The site i order off is cheaper and i know the guy personally and he answers and and all of my questions

bodybuilding.com does have a good site with tips and articles

I think its closer to 60g

11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've thought about trying some. I'm just waiting to see it on clearance at VS. I've just gotten so sick or reading everyone on bb.com talk as though it's the great things since sliced bread I don't want to look at it in my pantry. LOL.
    As with everything else, everyones body is different too. And if you pee/poop a little out....oh well.

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yea, i've been reading some of the stuff on bb.com for the past half hour and gotta say there's a lot of conflicting info out there. I'd stay well away from their supplement forums. To thing some people are still plugging NOXplode amazes me

13. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Anybody know about Endorush? I love the stuff. It's the only thing I have ever drank with a caution label on the bottle. I think that was one of the appeals about it. The idea that if I wasn't used to it my heart could explode really caught my attention.

N.O. Xplode is really good stuff too. People plug anything that works for them... (rethinking the wording of the last sentence)

_J

14. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #39 SefacHotRodder, Aug 4, 2008
    Its got like 800mg of caffene in one bottle

Oh yea?

http://supplementpolice.com/Complaint.pdf

15. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I do understand where you're coming from when you say they don't have all the ingredients they claim. However, if it works well for someone then it works for them so who cares if it has 4 or 5 grams of creatine. Some people make their best gains on it... all that being said.. I don't use it and wouldn't due to their sketchy reputation for cheating customers.

16. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    To the OP- stick with the basics overall. A quality protein ( in addition to a meat/fish protein diet) , additional glutamine powder, multi-vitamin mineral product, and occasional pre-workout booster...this should be a good base- and a few things if you feel like it here and there.

Latest and greatest seem to be just fads- I've been to all the bigger bodybuilding and fitness expos over the past 4+ years. There are numerous products AND companies that have come and gone- like LONG GONE even from just a year ago, I could name tons. I would also love to find the short easy road , but when does that ever work =)

17. ENZO_Rambo

ENZO_Rambo Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    I am extremely sensitive to carbohydrates and the artificial sweeteners in many of the protein powders out there make me feel bloated (water weight gain) Lately i have been using ISOPURE and powdered egg white protein they are significantly less sweet than all the other protein powders i have tried and am happy with the way i feel and look after taking it.

I have been lifting 5x per week and running 3 miles every other night.........a brutal winter had forced me indoors for about 4 solid months and i had a lot of fat to burn off.

18. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

No offense, but unless you just do not eat food, you are taking WAY WAY WAY more sups than you need. I bet you piss 90% of that out in two hours of taking it.

Again, no offense meant.

19. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Most supp companies have a Natural version of their powders using natural sweetners.

I've heard good things about Isopure, too low in carbs for me though.

21. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #46 SefacHotRodder, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
    Agreed. But there are a lot better products out there. Have you tried anything else?

None taken. I love to hear advice, whether its crticism or not

What am i pissing out? I'm simplest terms i'm only taking these:

- Multi Vite (Every day) Here's why: http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/23/6/669 "We observe apparent overall declines in some nutrients, combined with apparent increases in a significant minority of individual foods and nutrients. "
    - Fishoil (Every day)
    - Protein (every morning and after working out)
    - Creatine (45 mins before workout)
    - NO2 (Every day)

You can take this as a meal replacement (due to fat content):

http://healthspot.com/index.cfm?select=product_details&id=1979&prod_cat_id=13

22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  23. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hydrolyzed whey protein is a really form of protein. Other than that its ok

24. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #49 TexasF355F1, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  25. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #50 modena1_2003, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Fact is there are so many supplements out there it can be really confusing finding the one thats best for you. Most people just go with the ones their buddy says is best and sticks to it.

What your looking for in a whey protein is max grams per scoop, as little fat as you can find, and close to 300 calories in a serving (which in most cases is two scoops, sometimes one.) This stuff has the amino acids I love too!

With almost NO fat, calories and sugar and the ability to keep you full - this stuff is very good.

The best though is on post #29 ;)

_J
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login