Whey protein mixes: beneficial or bs? | FerrariChat

Whey protein mixes: beneficial or bs?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Bullfighter, Jul 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Any of the weight lifters here use those powdered whey protein mixes?

They were recommended to me in conjunction with working out, as I don't eat close to the recommended calorie/protein amounts in a normal day.

I can't say I've seen a huge difference over the last year, but I'm a hard gainer and I'm fighting my DNA on this one anyway.

2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Age? Workout regimen? Give yourself enough time to rest between workouts? What are your objectives, to look like the Hulk or say Bruce Lee?

3. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Yes protein is absolutely an advantage. Take in at least 1 gram of protein per pound you weigh. You can take in more if your looking to bulk up... Bodybuilders often take in as much as 250 grams of protein a day or more. So yeah make sure its whey protein and other then that the brand really isn't that important however flavors obviously differ. Drink the protein immediately after workout so your muscles are ready to absorb it.. GOOD LUCK.

Not a gimmick promise

4. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    For bulking the rule is 1.5 - 2 times your bodyweight equals the weight in grams. You have to watch your body though, some people develop kidney stones and other maladies from too much protein and not enough excersize.

Diet is the most important thing. If that is off, nothing will work.

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1 to everything said already

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Is it essential? No. You're primary source of protein should come from whole food.

There are basically two types of protein powder; whey and a casein. Whey is a fast absorbing protein, perfect for a PWO (post workout) drink to get it to those muscles quickly. Whey is great to start the day off with to "break the fast".;)

Casein is an extended absorbing protein usually 12 hours. Which makes it great to take just prior to bed. As well as a pre-workout drink.

Here's a good article to read up on your whey vs casein protein.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satternorton.htm

I personally mix it up from time to time. A jug of whey for a time or two, and a jug of casein for a period. I always think it's good to mix it up.

7. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    More like Bruce (maybe Springsteen more than Lee).

I'm early 40s, work out every other day (cardio plus moderate weights). I have no delusions about getting huge, just trying look good in my shirts/suits, avoid the muscle loss that seems to come in most guys my age, and drive '70s/'80s exotics with no power steering and stiff clutches. ;)

I've been doing the 38 gram whey mix immediately after working out, in addition having a real lunch (with meat) a few hours before. Sounds like not enough, maybe. I'd say I've got good definition, and can do the exercises with good form, but it can take me many, many months to move up 5 lbs to the next dumbbell.

8. Euro QV

Euro QV Karting

Jun 25, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    John N.
    Hi Jon,

As the others have said 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound is ideal.

In addition to whey protein mix, there is casein protein mixes. A recent study mentioned in Mens Health magazine showed that people who took both increased their gains by 50% over those in the study who only took whey.

Whey protein along with a healthy meal should be eaten about 1 hour before you workout to allow absorption into your system, and then a light snack with some carbs along with another whey protein shake approx. 1/2 hour after your workout.

Whey protein takes around 2 hrs to completely absorb into your system, while casein takes 7-8 hours. Some folks take the 2 protein at the same time, but this will slow down the absorption of the whey protein to the 7-8 hours it takes for the casien to absorb.

My routine to ensure I get all of the proper protein at the proper time into my system is as follows:

Morning: Breakfast + whey protein shake

2-3 hours later: Light snack + casein protein shake

2-3 hours later: Lunch

2 hours later: Light snack

2-3 hours later: Dinner + whey protein shake

1 hour later: Workout approx. 1 hour

1/2 hour later: Light snack with carbs + whey protein shake

3 hours later: Handfull of non-roasted nuts such as almonds or walnuts + casein protein shake

Bed

In addition to the protein I take creatine to aid in recovery. This may not be as important to a 20 year old, but to someone who is 40 a creatine suppliment really helps me out. Do not fall into the hype that you need a large amount of creatine, 5g is plenty, or that you need to "load", as this is not necessary or beneficial.

Just remember that proper diet along with some supplements is just as important to working out as the actual lifting of the weights. When I was 20 I would eat like s*#t and workout. I wasted so much time in the gym by not having a proper diet. If you are going to spend your time working out you might as well get the most out of it, otherwise why bother.

As important to 'what' you consume, is 'when' you consume it:

1. Eat smaller meals, but eat more often as this allows your body to use all of the nutrients you put into it as well as keeping your metabolism up and your furnace burning all day.

2. When you first wake up drink 12-16 ounce of cold water. This will start your internal furnace right away as your body will need to heat up the cold water.

3. Drink 60-80 ounces of water during the day. This will keep you from cramping during your workout.

4. Eat some carbs 1/2 hour after your workout as this will spur insulin production which will actually help your body eat away at the stored carbs. This aids in weight loss.

5. Not many people will eat a strict diet forever. Trying to do so will usually result in failure. So go with the 80/20 rule. Eat right 80% of the time and cheat only 20%.

6. When you workout, do it smarter not harder. You will get better results and stick to it longer. Read fitness magazines for workout ideas, and new information. New research and studys into exercise have debunked a lot of the old methods and myths about working out.

7. Shock your muscles by switching up exercises every few weeks for a week or two. This will help you overcome plateaus.

8. For best muscle gain do your lifting before your cardio so you won't tire out on the weights.

9. Do not over train, and take a week off every 6-7 weeks for recovery. (Cardio, you do not need to take time off, but switching up what type will shock your system)

10. To bulk up, eat carbs with your meals. To lose weight, go with low carbs. For a happy medium, carb up on the weekends and go low carb during the week.

11. Sleep 7-8 hours a night.

12. Your body does it best work while you sleep so give it some casein protein just before bedtime. By the time you wake up the casein protein will have just been fully absorbed.

A great website for information concerning working out/supplements/diet/etc. is;

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html?CJAID=10412694&CJPID=2500544

This website is also a good place to purchase your protein and supplements for cheap. (I am not affiliated in anyway with this website)

Good luck with your workouts.

John

9. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Great post, thanks. I see a couple of changes I can try this week.

10. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #10 modena1_2003, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    Wow, just as I click on this thread to say a couple things EVERYTHING is spelled out already....

Diet is everything in fitness. Avoid sugar all together unless its natural sugar as in milk and veggies or natural peanut butter, stuff like that. As was said, go for about ten or twelve grams of protein a day over what you want your goal weight to be... IE 210g or so. Three scoops per glass and DONT DONT DONT worry it tastes like sh*t - your bettering your body and high test gasoline tastes horrible too, but this is your fuel - thats how I think of it.

****On a side note, your body can only process about 60 grams at a time****

I take a brand called "GOLD STANDARD WHEY PROTEIN" and I find its the best stuff on the market. It's about $40 per huge jug but you wont be let down. Its got "whey" more than just protein mixing amino acids and vitamins into the powder as well.

Talk to Vitamin Shoppe, they will tell you everything you need to know.

Let us know how it all turns out!!!!!!!!!

_J

11. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    TLDR

I wanted to go copy and paste a write up like yours but lost my motivation lol Good points all around as to practical advice.

12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There are plenty of whey's that taste good. And there's no need for 3 scoops...2 is plenty. Champion Nutrition (vanilla) is what I'm currently taking and it's probably the best tasting overall. There is no alkaline taste that some protein shakes can give you.

Just like with lifting, it's good to mix up your protein shakes as well so you're body doesn't become acustom to one.

13. Euro QV

Euro QV Karting

Jun 25, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    John N.
    Thats great advice...One I hadn't thought of. Anytime you can shock your system it will help stimulate growth.

Muscle Milk, both whey and casein protein taste pretty good in vanilla and vanilla creame. I haven't tried any other flavors.

14. Euro QV

Euro QV Karting

Jun 25, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    John N.
    Glad I could help.

15. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Also so you don't have to buy casein protein along with your whey you can eat some cottage cheese before bed thats awesome for you and has the slow releasing protein. That Gold Standard 100% whey someone was talking about it made by ON (optimum nutrition). Good Luck

16. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon

Great idea, I'll look into that!

The thing I don't like about MuscleMilk is the high fat content. I'm not a GNC shopper however their 50Gram Slam is very low on fat and tastes fine!

_J

17. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The strawberry is awesome.

It's really not all that bad, especially if you're on a bulk. Higher than most (majority?) sure. But for bulking it's not a bad shake to have at all. Plus it tastes good.

I hate GNC myself. Can't walk in there without being watched over like a hawk or given "their" recommendations.

Vitamin Shoppee is so relaxed, the employees are always very friendly and simply tell you if you need help just to ask.

18. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #18 SefacHotRodder, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
    24g protein? I take this and it has 56g of protein

http://healthspot.com/index.cfm?select=product_details&id=3503&prod_cat_id=14

You don't need all that other ****. I take multi vites and fishoil in the morning along with an N02 supplement like nitrix throught the day. Pre workout i take Cellucor M5 (which has incredible reviews and works amazingly) and then take the above protein mix after my workout

M5 here:

Green Apple: http://healthspot.com/index.cfm?select=product_details&id=3505&prod_cat_id=6

Fruit Punch: http://healthspot.com/index.cfm?select=product_details&id=3504&prod_cat_id=6

Pills: http://healthspot.com/index.cfm?select=product_details&id=3506&prod_cat_id=6

The GA and FP are powders, thus are slightly more effective than the pills. They also very recently changed the taste of the powders so the reviews online about how it tastes horrible now don't apply

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me stuff, i've recently got into this and either know the answer or know someone who does

Chris

19. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I'm sure that your 54 grams of protein per serving is probably two scoops or a very large scooper... its not actually any different because the ON stuff has 77 servings per container so double the scoops and you get roughly 38 servings which is 8 more then that container you are using. Also what protein is in there i cant find any nutrition facts for that brand... certain types of protein are ingested better then others. What you really want is whey protein isolate, not concentrate or ion exchange whey or soy for that matter. But hey whatever works for you thats what is important. Good Luck

20. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Its a whey protein isolate. Two scoops contain 68 grams of product of which 56 grams is protein. It also has an enzyme to help with digestion an absoprtion

21. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    $56!!! ****ing expensive.

22. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon

Thanks for the information Chris. Ive been into pretty serious lifting now for a little over a year and really love the lifestyle. A good protein shake is hard to find as everybody likes their own stuff. Yours has 56g per scoop? Thats pretty serious.

I love amino-acids because of their aid in muscle recovery after a workout. Aminos are the basic structural building blocks of proteins. Many lifters swear by them. I love L-Glutamine personally for its major roll in protein synthesis. Not to mention its an alternative source of fuel for the brain....

_J

23. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I tend to shop around for protein. I get the cheapest regardless of brand that is the Whey Isolate. But you are right, it can get expensive quick. The best way around it is just a better diet to be honest.

The Corps is currently testing various mixes of work out stuff but the early data that I was told was to skip all the pills and just take either a Centrum or a Flintstone's (Seriously!!) once a day with food. If you eat at all close to how you should, you get enough of everything already so the pills are just to make up for what you may have missed from day to day. The most common deficiency being Vitamin-C.

24. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    A multi vitamin is very good for you though for the BEST results with muscle gain, a high protein diet is key. You'll simply build muscle quicker. However there is nothing wrong with a simply work-out regimen and a healthy diet.

Fitness is really all in the person. There are bad ways to do things, good ways, and better ways, but which ever way somebody chooses is up to preference. There is something for everybody!

_J

25. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You get what you pay for