Where to find? | FerrariChat

Where to find?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by docmace, Oct 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docmace

docmace Rookie

Nov 8, 2008
    Looking for a good used Mondial. I'm leery about ebay. Are there any other online sites to look for these older classics? Thanks

2. westyguy

westyguy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Huntsville, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Here, of course, and you might want to subscribe to the Ferrari Market Letter. I found my '84 Cabrio here from another member.
    Steve

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Which model are you looking for? QV, 3.2, T , coupe or cabrio ?

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Look everywhere and don't be in a hurry. It's been said before, drive several and get a feel for what is a good one and what is a tired one.

Go to the 308/328 section and go through the postings at the top about buying those cars, many items are the same.

It isn't about finding one, it's about finding the right one.

Having said all that, I purchased the very first one I looked at but it ticked the boxes I wanted. It had a history of being driven regularly for the previous 10 years which told me the bugs were worked out of it. There were still plenty of little things for me to do when I got it and I had a lot of fun getting it to where it is today.

5. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    #5 mtmilam, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    HI Docmace,
    I'm from Lafayette Also, and bought a Ferrari 328 on Ebay :D I had 10 minutes to decide :D.. ....Its been the Best Dang car ever!!...People ask me all the time if it's a "New Car" :D......I got it at a good price because, guess what, everyone is leery of ebay, so the Prices are lower, ( if they want to sell it) than normal....this guy wanted to sell it.....I talked to him on the phone before I bid on it and he said he had no problem having a inspection on the car before I paid for it, assuming I win it....It was in atlanta....I told him I wouldn't net pick it, just as long as nothing major was wrong with it.....It turned out it needed a new battery !!!

I've had it 3 years now and DRIVE it EVERY 3 Weeks, and run the piss out it....I think of it as my "Wild Italian Prostitute" that wants to be Ridden hard and put up Wet...(well clean at least) :D:D:D. I've taken it on 600 mile hard rides in Arkansas.... Seriously, the car hasn't given me any trouble and drips 2 drops of oil after I park it :D......It looked good on ebay, had history and service records, timing belts done a year before purchase.....Don't be afraid, but don't overpay..mine was 28K...Only Bummer is, its getting Close to a Belt Service time...so now its gonna be a 33K car. :D ...on one and on...but I wouldn't ever give it up...so much FUN to drive!!
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Mark, thats a great looking 328!!!

At 28k it was extremely cheap, i assume that was in USD? Here in the UK a good 328 is in excess of £30k which is approximately $50k USD.

Well done!

7. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    I just purchased an 87 coupe. I wanted a 308 but the three I saw on eBay and Craigslist did not pan out. Fortunately I had two good mechanics guiding me so I did not end up with a problem child. Best advice I can give is, once you find one make sure you can see the car, see the owner, and arrange for the car to be taken to a good mechanic. Might ask any local Ferrari mechanics. One of them that I used for advice brought a 328 to my attention, that was not listed any place. Good hunting.