Whats your most memorable motorcycle ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Whats your most memorable motorcycle ?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by LightGuy, Sep 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'll play.

A '99 FLSTN. The only motorcycle I've ever owned.

2. HWHL

HWHL Karting

Jul 31, 2012
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Very nice

3. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #53 alexm, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Most memorable was "back in the day" very first road bike which was a Ducati 450 Desmo I rescued and restored end of high school/beginning of uni.. flipped burgers to pay for my "Italian Mistress".

Started out with tires so old they were cracked, beaten up and dented and loose everything, was run on dirt road with NO intake filter.. by time I finished it had nice fat Dell'Orto "pumper" carbie, Conti pipe and completely rewired, repainted and every internal checked/replaced..

Was awesome to be out at 6am scraping corners on twisty mountain roads and be back in the city in time for 9am lectures pumped up and ready to go.

I eventually collected enough minor tickets on it to wallpaper a room, and reliability wasn't it's strong suit.. but it had "personality" in spades and the automotive sex was worth it before eventually I caved and got something "sensible" lol.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

very cool! thanks for the recollection of your desmo as it is good for all of our soles!

5. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    I raced one of those.
    (similar, not the HRC version)

That was the bike that flicked me like a booger at Louden.
    The front slipped and griped, the rear slipped and gripped, and then I was airborne.

I was looking at my feet, and saw both the sky, and the front of the motorcycle go by.
    I was knocked out cold, and beat up by the rocks in the landing zone.
    Ended up with a big ass hematoma, and was black and blue from my shoulder to my fingers.

Yea, I remember that bike.

6. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yes, and can you believe that was over 12 years ago? You cruised over in your E36 M3 to see it at that Snap-On tool distributor in N. Sacramento. The bike was only 7 years old at that point. It's almost 20 years old now and part of the Schoenwald Collection in Camarillo. At least I know it has a good home. One day it will be mine (again.)

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    You were lucky.

This like new VFR1000 just sold here locally.
    I was tempted but really need a sport/tour
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-HONDA-VFR100R-INTERCEPTOR-/261100753329?forcev4exp=true#ht_6907wt_1165

600 lbs.
    Times have changed.

8. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #58 Island Time, Oct 4, 2012
    Me three! What a beast....home schooled my jr year of high school due to broken bones from a wreck. Intimidating and fun. You always knew a part of this bike couldn't be tamed.

But I think my favorite was that Kawasaki G4TR 100 Enduro. Had a 10 speed transmmission (five for street and five for dirt). I'll never forget the sadness I felt when this bike left my driveway for the last time :(

Mine was just like this. Same color and everything. All of those Yamaha Enduros were great bikes as well. Loved them all. :)

9. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3

I had one of these I turned a cafe racer. It was fun. I made my first expansion chamber for it.

My friend had a Yamaha "Twin Jet" 100, basically a mini-RD, and we used to race around.

10. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #60 msdesignltd, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    Why does this remind me of a lime green Kawi Centurion that I had in High school..It was MX only

The premix was Gas and Blenz-oil..
    I remember that smell as if it were yesterday

11. jason19794

jason19794 Rookie

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jason
    1993 Yamaha YZ-125, my dad gave it to me on my 14 th birthday, before that I had a KX - 80 .

12. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I got to ride one of those in the late '80s and it was quite memorable to be sure. :D

I've always loved 2-strokes, especially for off road of course. My breathed on CR250R was explosive---50 HP and a little over 200 lbs. I used to be the king of my local riding place (because of the bike) on our well worn track.....although to be fair, we didn't have any serious organized competition types there...but it was still nice to be king for a while!

13. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    '85 V-Max. Still have it. I've only actually floored it a couple of times, feels like it's going to rip your arms off. Took almost 20 years before another bike could take it in a straight line and it'll still hold it's own against anything short of a liter bike.

14. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    XR200 that I learned to jump on or CR250 that I raised hell on

15. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    #65 wolfchen75, Nov 29, 2012
  16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My '67 Honda CL/77 Scrambler - my pops purchased it in late '67 just before I was born...I still have it with the original 8,000 miles :)

17. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    That's about a 1971 bike, isn't it? (Bultaco Sherpa S 125cc)

Must have been great fun on that one.