Whats your most memorable motorcycle ? | FerrariChat

Whats your most memorable motorcycle ?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by LightGuy, Sep 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    First, last, something in between.

Whats the one that did IT for you ?

Mine; Yamaha FJ100 second hand about 6 months after it came out. The owner and his pals laughed as I drove it away. Off to buy a Harley.
    Little did they know.
    The Superbike of its day back when "Superbike" was a new word.

Had a few before and a few after but that bike was the bomb.

2. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    Honda V65 Magna. Learned to ride on that bike. Never ever got to WOT, simply was not necessary.

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #3 toggie, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My second bike, back when I was in Junior High, was a 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro.
    It was fantastic for riding on the dirt trails in the Mojave Dessert of Southern California.

The DT1 was one of the first of its kind - the dual-purpose enduro type of bike.
    Prior to it, you either bought a road bike like a Honda 305 Dream or a pure dirt bike like a Bultaco Pursang.
    1968 was the first year they made the DT1 and the only color choice was white.

My first bike was a Honda 50 Scrambler when I was younger, so the DT1 was a huge step-up.
    I eventually upgraded to a Yamaha TT500 a few years later.

Here's a picture of a '68 DT1 I found on the web.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 1Superleggera

1Superleggera Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2011
    North East
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hmmm.. I remember 2

first bike:

when I was about 12 years old my friends older brother let me take the handle bars of a 250 Bultaco around the yard with him on back. I couldn't believe he took his hands off the bars and let me drive it! One twist of the throttle and we would have both been laying on the ground,lol.

Second bike:

I had a kdx80 when I was about 14 (135lbs) and handled it well so, my bigger and older friend had a 250R and said "go ahead and take it for a ride" well... I wasn't afraid of it and should have been! I cracked the throttle in I think it was 3rd going through a field and the front end came up and all I could do is hold on for dear life! Well, after the bike got up to speed (it took almost the whole the length of the field) and the front end came back down I was able to let off the throttle and give the bike back to my buddy as he said "holy **** that was awesome!"
    I was shaking like a leaf as I explained that it wasn't on purpose..:)

5. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
  6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    honda rc30

7. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    I collect bikes now... most Ducatis...BUT the best memories are the freedom I felt at reasonable low speed, on a small bike... back on the day... Does it sound nostalgic? Well, that is true.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The Kawasaki H2 I owned when I was 16. It's a wonder I'm still alive! It was so memorable, I bought another one last March that is currently in the final stage of a full restoration. It should be ready within the next two weeks just in time to show it at the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival in October.

9. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Fj1100 - my first big boy bike :)

It was a beater and kind of a PITA but taught me a lot.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

easy for me...my 888 sp5. not even close!

11. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #11 roadracer311, Sep 19, 2012
    2003 Aprilia Tuono "Racing"
    Ohlins suspension front and rear. Forged aluminum wheels. Open the throttle and it feels like bombs going off behind you, and you're surfing the shockwave forward.

12. AZ308GTS

AZ308GTS Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    Phoenix,AZ
    Moto Guzzi V11 Sport. Biggest piece of crap I ever owned. Every single time I road it something either fell off or broke. But lord did it sound good!

13. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    BMW K75S, best all around performer bike I've ridden. Lots of great memories from the Blue Ridge Parkway, really miss riding.

14. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #14 jm3, Sep 19, 2012
    Me too!

But the Kawasaki Triple with Denco Chambers is one vehicle I miss, that I still have not "re-bought". I did however buy an RD400, since they always kicked my ass in the twisties.

I would like to hear more about the Triple, everyone I have looked it is comparatively expensive, and paying someone else to restore one is interesting.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #15 Wade, Sep 19, 2012
  16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    +1 on that! Lots of fun when you're 17 and don't yet know any better.......

17. SKXF430

SKXF430 Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    W. Los Angeles
    1985 Yamaha RZ350. Last of the road going 2 strokes in the US. An instant classic.

18. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    #18 The Kook Abides, Sep 19, 2012
    Honda HRC VF750 They were big and heavy compared to stuff today... in 1985 about 435lbs. with fluids.
    Look how flimsy the swing arm looks...how thin the fork tubes are. Even with titanium and magnesium carbs, magnesium cases and covers, magnesium wheels and brakes they were big and never really handled "good". The engine was massive and sat high in the frame. It revved to 13,000 rpms which was pretty busy back then. Gear driven cams were a ***** to time and setup. 16 titanium valves that were good for 2 maybe 3 weekends at 150.00 apiece. Goodyear slicks. The good 'ol days of AMA Superbike racing! LOL.

19. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    #19 ChipG, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    Very well said and soooo true... :) I never really got into the most expensive bike thing.

I bought a honda CB350 from a neighbor back in the day for $50, I had THE most fun on that bike....

DAMN, I got memories right now

20. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Now THAT is a bike! Any pics?

For me, my old foxeye fire blade was a favourite, beat the crap out of it for years commuting into London, never broke, just wasted a lot of money on rear tyres :)
    Favourite dirt bike had to be my old Maico 490. Absolute animal of a thing..

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My 1986 yamaha Radian, first big ticket item bought new, still have it with only 3700 miles on the clock. Its still a blast to ride with its short gearing amazingly quick and viceral up to 80 mph, and it has that classic japanese standard look.

I dont miss my Gpz 1100, or 6 cyl CBX which was neither fast nor handled well.
    The VFR did everything well but just did not really inspire.

After 16 years of storage I got the Radian going again, it was like an old glove and reminded my why I kept it.

Of course I do have a thing for the newer sportsters with worked over engines, so maybe I am not normal.

22. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    When I was 13 i bought a Harley Davidson 250 Sprint,I raked it and lowered it with help from my Dad, My Mom hated it,it made me fell like a Outlaw Biker.

23. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I've only had four:

2002 Fatboy
    2004 Bourget Low Blow Chopper
    2004 CBR F4i
    2006 Road King

Of that list, the Bourget wins this topic. 124 S & S, open primary, Jim's 6 speed, etc... Fun bike to bar hop with and would pull hard on the highway.

Took a Boss Hoss for a spin several years ago in Sturgis - that was pretty cool too.

MDS

24. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    1974 Norton 850 Commando Roadster.

JD

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm prejudiced.

I created these a few years ago. One of the funnest products I ever made.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9xibEzH9_A[/ame]