What's with this hood? | FerrariChat

What's with this hood?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bjwhite, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Actually, I found this is an image search, but later found the story behind it.

And wow, it sold for a huge amount back in 2007. Here is the Gooding write up:

Sold for $46,200 at 2007 Gooding & Company.
    This 1984 Ferrari GTi 400 with chassis number 50807 is powered by a 4823cc V12 engine with dual overhead cams and a horsepower rating of 315. There is a five-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel disc brakes.

The Ferrari 400 Series was a new 2+2 that continued the Prancing Horse marque's tradition of offering a true luxury car with four rear seats and fitted with every possible amenity. They were introduced at the 1976 Paris Auto Show and signaled the first time a factory-installed automatic was an option. The Pininfarina designed body was accented by Ferrari's five-spoke magnesium wheels.

This car features many rare modifications and characteristics that set it apart from most GTi 400s. It was purchased on February 27th of 1984 by Greg Garrison. It was ordered with Watermelon paint and a beige leather interior. It has the manual transmission and over 412 upgrades. Garrison had written Pininfarina a letter asking him 'to think of special things to add to this car.' There are color coded bumpers and electric seats as well as distinctive chrome trim. The car has a hood scoop that was two-and-a-half times larger than standard. The interior features a double-insulated leather headliner, extra sound deadening and heat-resistant panels specifically designed to cope with demanding desert conditions.

In 2007 it was brought to the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, Ca where it was estimated to sell for $30,000 - $40,000 and offered without reserve. Bidding surpassed those estimates, settling at $46,200 including buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008

3. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    I could be mistaken, but this may have been the car that was brokered by Sheehan in the recent past. Regardless, I think if you look on Erwin's blog you will find an article by a gentleman who now owns it recognizing the car through his past association with Garrison as very same car previously owned by Dean Martin! Apparently, Dean owned this car through a holding company or the like, so it was never directly titled in his name. Cool story assuming that it's true and that I've linked right car with the correct background.

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm guessing you mean the 6 extra louvers (12 vs. the typical 6). I've seen this on cars exported to sheiks & others who live in very hot climates.

5. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Or as specified by Dean, to help manage the desert heat on his drives from LA to Palm Springs to pay his respects to the Chairman of the Board. Hopefully, the link to the below article will work.

Dean Martin's Ferrari comes home to Ohio | cleveland.com