What's the truth?! (Timing belt service) | FerrariChat

What's the truth?! (Timing belt service)

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by tesoro, May 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tesoro

tesoro Rookie

May 27, 2009
    Dubai, UAE
    Can anyone tell me when is a suggested time to perform a timing belt service? I've had various info on this matter. I own a F355 Spider 1996 and currently selling it in Dubai and would like to service it prior to sale. Please advise if you know! :)

2. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    If you have your owners manual it should state there when the belts need to be changed, if I remember correctly its 30,000km or 3 years whichever comes first. The belt is a rubber part which especially in GCC heat dries out and breaks, especially knowing how crappy Ferrari OEM parts are anyway.

S

3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
  4. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    There are as many opinions on when you "really" need to change the timing belts as there are people on F-Chat. :)

Short answer: Change the belts before you sell the car. It is worth it.

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good way to describe it. There are varying opinions, but Ferrari recommends every 3 years or 30,000km, whichever comes first (typically the 3 years comes first in most cases). I've heard of guys waiting 4 and 5 years.

Your engine, your problem; if a tensioner seizes and causes the belt to snap and therefore blowing the motor.