What's the ideal starter Ferrari? | FerrariChat

What's the ideal starter Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Feb 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    Ask the Expert
    Marcel Massini, Ferrari Historian
    I thought Mondials would be mentioned but nope.
    One thing that I have learned, If I bought a Dino 246 10 years ago for $50k, it would have been worth $200k+ today ! That's better than the stock market for sure!
    I should be paying more attention to Massini -senior editor of Prancing Horse magazine and a contributing editor to Cavallino and Scuderia, international Ferrari magazines.

Question:If you don't have $10 million laying around, what's the ideal starter Ferrari?
    Answer:The ideal starter Ferrari depends on your personal budget. With $50,000 you should buy a Dino 246 GTS--beautiful lines, great sound, even if it's only a six-cylinder Ferrari. With $100,000, I suggest you buy a 330 GTC. It offers fantastic handling; it's the best Grand Touring Ferrari of the 1960s. With half a million, to spend I suggest a 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spider (a real one, not a "cut" car). The 365 GTB/4 gives fantastic topless motoring, has a sensational engine, endless power and is super-rare--only 121 were built. Or if you are more into competition cars, you should consider a four-cylinder, two- or three-liter Ferrari of the mid-1950s. In any case, look for rarity and, if possible, race history. Competition cars have much higher value than street models.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Question:What should a first-time Ferrari buyer know to look for when shopping for a used one? What should he have looked at by a mechanic (before purchase) no matter what?
    Answer:First-time Ferrari buyers should look for full service documentation and history. Do your homework! A mechanic should check the main components: suspension, engine, oil leaks.

Question:Which new Ferrari is most likely to become a classic of GTO caliber?
    Answer:None of the newer Ferraris will ever become a classic of GTO caliber. You can't repeat the golden cars of the 1950s and '60s.

Question:What's different about driving a Ferrari, as opposed to, say, driving a Porsche?
    Answer:When you drive a Ferrari you know you drive a real legend, a superscarce item, totally individually built with Italian love and enthusiasm. Porsches are products of mass production and lack character. They are too perfect and professionally done.

Question:Ferraris have the reputation of being temperamental. Is this deserved or not, and have newer Ferraris become more reliable? Does this spoil the romance?
    Answer:Yes, the temperamental reputation is deserved. And yes, newer Ferraris are more reliable, but in the end it's all a matter of regular maintenance and service. And in my opinion, it doesn't spoil the romance!

Question: Which year 308 GTB Carbed car is the most powerful and rare?
    Answer:The most powerful and rare carburetted Ferrari 308 GTBs are the fiberglass bodied cars produced from 1975 to 1977. These were the first 308 GTBs built and a total of 712 units were manufactured. The earliest known chassis number is 18677, the last fiberglass bodied 308 GTB had S/N 21289. These cars can be found in the $42,000 range.

Question:Bonhams & Brooks is auctioning off Ferrari No. 4293 on Dec. 19, hoping to get $10 million for the sale. Should they get that much?
    Answer:Yes, Brooks should get that much because it is the very best Ferrari 250 GTO in the world with the most significant history. Additionally, despite being a pure race car, this GTO has never been seriously crashed or modified (compared to the other 35 GTOs built.

ref:
    Marcel Massini, Ferrari Historian - Forbes.com

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Why is this interesting post which doesn't even mention Mondials hidden in that section ?

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    edited ;) ... sorry I hang out with my boys in the Mondial section 99% of the time.
    I can never find my posts anywhere else, it gets lost in the sea of hundreds of topic threads and discussion areas that this board hosts.

cheers