What's the best sounding Dino engine? | FerrariChat

What's the best sounding Dino engine?

Discussion in '206/246' started by all dinos, Jul 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. all dinos

all dinos Rookie

Jul 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    My love of Dinos was born as a teenager on a high speed trip to the barbers in Santo Stefano in a Fiat Dino Spider. Against the cliff face on the coastal road, it sounded like nothing I had ever experience, so dramatic and so exciting; I was instantly hooked. Many years later, having been fortunate to have worked my way through all of the Dino engined cars including the Stratos (although not a Fiat Coupe - I do need one of those), I still think that the Fiat Dino Spider 2400 is the best sounding Dino road car ever made. Or certainly the best one I have ever owned. It's just the sound of those chains and everything else happening in an open car in front of you. When it comes on cam and upwards of 5000 rpm, it's the perfect mix of chain thrash, induction roar and exhaust bark - especially when you ditch the metal air cleaner. In terms of cars that say 'Dino' on them somewhere, my 308GT4 definitely sounds the most mundane (because of the belts - although a properly great great GT and very under appreciated car - and I know, not a V6...) but I'm afraid to say that in my experience the coupe 246 also sounds a bit pedestrian in comparison to the front engined Spider. I think it's simply because the engine is behind you and somehow that sound gets lost in your wake. The GTS sounds a bit better than the GT, but it still doesn't quite match the Fiat Dino Spider's level of aural excitement. The Stratos Stradale is a bit more exciting, presumably because there is less sound deadening generally - it's certainly more gruff - but one probably doesn't much notice because of the general preoccupation with bits falling off.
    I've just fitted a NOS Tubi to my 246GT which is in restoration - and although stainless (replacing a very wormed ANSA), I have read good things about the sound, so I hope to be proved wrong when I can drive the car. However, I suspect that I won't be. That Fiat just sounds so magical and genuinely better (subjectively) than any other car I have ever driven, including the 512, 400, the Daytona and modern Ferraris. A Miura probably gets up there but I have never lived with one. And there are other cars that sound surprisingly good; I remember having a high speed ride in a BMW M1 and getting out out into a 246 and thinking - what!!? So, Portofino? - no thanks; I'll stick with Santo Stefano. But, if I had to own a single Dino it would look like a 246GT, handle like a Stratos and sound like a Fiat Dino Spider 2400. And, luckily fo me, that car doesn't exist.

NoGoSlow and 375+ like this.
  2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #2 4CamGT, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020

Matthew, Welcome to FerrariChat! The Dino motor is beautiful and has lots of untapped potential! One of my favorite sounds from the Dino motor comes from the Group 4 Stratos. I think the Stratos evolved the motor/gearbox into a race winning formula. Have a listen to this:

https://youtu.be/mtZ8Ph7lt3o

swift53 and NoGoSlow like this.
  3. all dinos

all dinos Rookie

Jul 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Thank you - and yes - sounds like 'calico ripped' as someone once said about the arrival of the supercharged Bugattis..!

4. Tobi

Tobi Karting

Jun 24, 2011
    Alto Palatinato
    The Fiat Dino has way too much silencers - more than cylinders ;)