Whats occupying the Mondial driver-side intake? | FerrariChat

Whats occupying the Mondial driver-side intake?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by exproject, Apr 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exproject

exproject Karting

Sep 9, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Full Name:
    Cameron R.
    I'm looking around for a place to set an intercooler of some kind and only places that have available space is right in front of the horn for a small 12"x6" spot or the drivers-side intake.

Or so I thought, I looked there and theres already a radiator of some kind there, is that stock? And what's it there for, front radiator not enough?

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    That is the oil cooler radiator.

3. AZ308GTS

AZ308GTS Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    Phoenix,AZ
    This is scary....

4. exproject

exproject Karting

Sep 9, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Full Name:
    Cameron R.
    That's good, thats what I was hoping it was.

So the hunt continues.

I think I'm going to have to keep it the way it is then.
    No place for an intercooler.

Norwood turbocharged this Mondi awhile back, but the previous owner was alredy so far invested into the project, he didn't do an intercooler.Probably because he was running low on funds.
    So Norwood ran the mixture real rich to cool the engine, I'm guessing so rich that some fuel is burnt in the exhaust just to carry off the heat. So the only thing I've got going is a turbo temp gauge which sits around 900 when the car is fully warmed up.

I can't get on it for a real long time because the turbo temp goes up to around 1200, 1300, and I need to back it down to cool it to 900 again.

Was hoping there would be a place to put in an intercooler so I could get a bit more power out of the car and be able to do a bit of spirited driving for a bit more than 10 minutes or less.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    You may want to talk to Mark Eberhardt (Mk e) - he has experience with air-water intercoolers that may work for you. I have seen other turbo installations that do have air intercoolers. Try searching the tech and 308 sections on 'intercooler'.

Good luck!

6. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    High efficiency, normally aspirated, gasoline engines, run with exhaust temperatures in excess of 1300 deg F…… High temps will roast your oil, but not hurt your engine, if you change it often.

Your turbo has advanced ceramic ball bearings in it, NORWOOD uses these.

A European 208 GTSi Turbo intercooler system would be nice on that car. (The previous owner didn't find one,,, but was looking. Ask me how I know.)

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #7 GrigioGuy, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. exproject

exproject Karting

Sep 9, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Full Name:
    Cameron R.
    It's a Turbonetics turbo, has an AMAZING sounding blowoff valve. Not just a short "pssht", but its like a roar almost.

And Tillman, so I take it theres a tube coming from the turbo end of the intake, into the intercooler, then back out to the throttle body? Seems intricate but like it would work.

Would this work keep exhaust gas temps down? Or would it just cool the intake charge and give more power. I'd have to bring it back to James for him to retune it with an intercooler now.

I suppose what I'm really asking is how can I make it so the turbo stays cool enough to run hard for a decent amount of time. Right now at the most I can use it to get through the gears and power on, but can't do big time full throttle runs.

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #9 snj5, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. exproject

exproject Karting

Sep 9, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Full Name:
    Cameron R.
    Russ, does it say which Fcar that is?

Could be interesting.

I'm gearing up in the next month or so to drop the engine and do my own major service and change the clutch, the current one is slipping alot from the extra power added by the turbo. It'll slip even in first or second, and from 3rd on, you really need to accelerate slowly.

I thought that would be a good time to figure out how to put in an intercooler.

I can see how you would mount it through the trunk. I just cant see where to put the radiator for the intercooler.

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    You can tell by looking. :)

308 GTB/S QV