Whatever happened to 9217? / 330 GTC offered on ebay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Whatever happened to 9217? / 330 GTC offered on ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by 2000 456M, Oct 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Good question.
    Isn't it often the case that new owners spend quite a bit bringing even "perfect" cars up to their specs?

2. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    I think we're all still a bit too accustomed to being sensible and writing a car like this off.

An insane project, for sure, but GTC's will probably be trading at $1 million when this is finished.

3. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    As noted in several other threads, I owned that car from 1975 to 77 and she was pristine when I let her go. heartbreaking to see how she ended up.

4. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    could you please post some "before" pics?

5. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    There is for me at least. I would certainly favor original components like fenders, framerails, bumpers, grill etc...

6. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It looks like a beautiful green, but it doesn't look like British Racing Green to me. It's really hard to tell from the photos and condition of the car, but it looks to be metallic. It must have been really beautiful when it was still in good health.

7. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    It was beautiful. The dark green was not metallic and the interior tan was lighter than the current Ferrari tan, but darker than sabbia. The wheels, by the way, were Campagnolo. I don't know how many years they were suppliers to Ferrari (now, of course, they are known more for high-end bicycle components).

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I found that interesting also -- I lusted after Campy bike components (when I was young) long before I knew they made car wheels.

9. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Ferrari Other Base | eBay

1967 Ferrari 330 GTC, wrecked on front driver's side. All parts are still on the vehicle, 99.9% complete, other than one windshield wiper arm. Very repairable, this car can be an awesome restoration project or a parts rich car for another Ferrari restoration.

This Ferrari 330 GTC was stored many years, after it was damaged. Recently recovered from a storage barn. Its now ready to be put in someone's hands that can appreciate the rarity of such a car.

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    When he said "stored in a barn", I guess that was just for the last few days looking at the rust on the body and corrosion on the engine !
    But what to I know, look at the price already and 70 bids !! But it does have a tool kit!

11. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #36 geno berns, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    The title is under a dissolved corporation the seller and his brother used to own. This is the story I got. He wants proceeds to be wired to the brother's account. I know the legalities that govern this area and this is a major kink to iron out before $$ exchange hands. Who knows what sort of pledging/liabilities/judgements related to the former corp that owned/owns the car. Not saying that this is what's there, just need to be cautious. The brothers DO NOT own this car nor have they ever. The corp did/does. Kink after kink to deal with...

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    There were actually four different threads on this car, all running concurrently. I've merged three of them into this single thread, and the fourth is in a subscribed-only forum.

I'm leaving this in the Market sub-forum because the value and restoration costs have really been the main topic of these threads.

13. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    #39 Vincent Vangool, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    One could guess that this will be interesting. Hopefully the various steps and a completed pic will one day appear in this thread.

You can definitely see that this one is truly a "hammered" body.

14. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Just went to ebay and the car has disappeared. I had saved it in my watching summary and it said that the auction was ended; that the opening bid was $10K and that there were zero bids. Bought locally, perhaps.

15. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Or, because it was fleabay, maybe it was never a real auction…..

16. EdwardLovett

EdwardLovett Karting

Mar 22, 2013
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Edward Lovett
    I was highest bidder last night and then it just disappeared.

17. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I spoke to the seller today. Although still a tricky deal with the car titled to a dissolved corp's name, the seller is a legit businessman. I offered $200K two days ago. He got offers that were higher than mine, up to $250K. He sold the car yesterday for a little north of $200K. Mark my words this will seem like a bargain after the upcoming AZ auctions and certainly by next August. With E Type Jags bringing $500K (auction result from today) the world has finally gone mad! These 330 GTCs are still relatively cheep being under $1MM, but not for too much longer.

Geno

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Geno, what was your estimate on the cost to restore it?

19. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Depends on who gets hired to do the job. If Motion did the work it would easily be $400K do get this car done up. My restorer who I've used for some time looked at the pictures of the car and advised to add $75K extra above and beyond the typical costs to get a new nose build from scratch for the car and other repairs as needed to the chassis. They build new body parts all the time and it's not as expensive as some people think. If this car was as rough as it was with out the accident damage I could get the entire car gone through for about $150K give or take $20K. So add the extra the $75K and the total I allocated was $225-$250K. The result would be a fully restored car (not Pebble quality but a very nice result) for $450-$500K. This was a deal...

Geno

20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That makes sense. Thanks!

21. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    It absolutely was a deal.

22. fer2000

fer2000 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2013
    i bought it

23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Welcome! Please tell us more details.

24. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I made no after-market modfications; left the car totally stock, but in the unlikely event you have any questions, just send a pm and I'll be happy to offer any information I recall that might help.