What was your most blatant "I've got money" comment... | Page 17 | FerrariChat

What was your most blatant "I've got money" comment...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by F1Ace, Nov 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Dave, I don't think he meant it that way at all.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

"and the bum? Still walking with his shopping cart. Enough said."

I hope I'm wrong. 90% of the homeless people in the US are suffering from mental disorders that in a kinder gentler time would have been dealt with in a group home or mental institution. Now they're on the street. I don't know anyone living on the street who would rather be there than in a home, or, God forbid, in a Porsche.

Just struck me as totally ignorant.

D

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I dunno about that. From what I have read, most of the mentally ill ( yes, that should be in institutions and were until our progressive friends got rid of those archaic institutions) are very resistant to going into any structured environment, whether a group home or even a house or apartment. IIRC, it as been tried and many prefer to be on the street.

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1 from first hand knowledge dealing with homeless individuals.

5. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Last summer one of my tenants, a local bank, moved out of my property into a new location in the downtown area.

They had no use for the old safe, and after cleaning out the site, came down with a moving company and a flat bed tow truck to remove the safe. Picture a safe about the size of a really big refridgerator.

The bank's facilities director made one last pitch to me if I wanted the safe left behind. He said "give it to your father for all his money", to which I replied without missing a beat "sorry, not big enough".

He paused for a second, and we both had a good chuckle.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

OK, we're way off topic now, but, here goes:

Mentally ill and untreated/medicated is not who you ask.

Mentally ill, treated, medicated and housed is who you ask.

So, re-pose your questions, not to the mentally ill homeless, who can't give a solid rational answer, to a healthier treated person, and see what you get.

Talk to two schizophrenics, one on the street, and one who is warm and treated, I seriously doubt you'll get the same answers on ANY question.

D

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good point

8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    It's a far more complex issue than simply being healthy or not. People still do not have a complete explanation for this phenomenon. The most plausible one, to me, is that nobody likes being controlled or institutionalized or having their freedom curtailed. Give a person freedom, and they will happily accept help. Restrict their movements and freedom, and they will often forego the aid, whether their mental faculties are intact or not.

I did have the same reaction as dm_n_stuff when I read this:
    So I read it again, and I think UroTrash is right. Poster meant to say he could have been doing a lot worse, and now he is doing a lot better, and is thankful for his lot.