What to do... end of the line for an 8... Maybe | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What to do... end of the line for an 8... Maybe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by smg2, Apr 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Great post, Rob!

2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Pics?

No one says you have to restore a car to enjoy it...

Do some simple rust repairs, blend the paint, and drive the hell out of it...

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'll give ya $1,000 for the rusted hulk. I'm a sucker for dumping money into worthless cars. :D

4. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Certainly the current value would not justify the cost in any way, shape, or form. But lots of significant cars that have been scrapped over the years which would now easily be worth repairing at their current value. I doubt any of us see the Mondial as a future SWB, but on the other hand Ferrari hasn't made anything like it in years so I'm guessing there's a certain amount of upside potential.

Still comes down to how much passion you have for the car. If you love something the cost to make it right again, while relevant, is far easier to "justify". The less it means to you the easier it is to toss it when it breaks. Only you know where that particular car falls on the "appliance<<<<<>>>>>beloved pet" emotional scale. We'll spend a small fortune on medical care for pets we love while it's almost always easier to toss a toaster than to repair it. And yet if you take emotion out of the equation it'd make just as much sense to replace the pet, but that's something most of us would never even consider. In other words, this doesn't seem like a decision to be made based only on economic criteria.

Specifically, I'm curious how much there is to be had from port work on the heads/intake without going wild. For the short term just looking to optimize the factory setup...

Let us know what you decide on the Mondi. I'm interested in which way you head from here.

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    As I think you would know better than us. What do you think you would get parting it out. What would you sell whole car for. What do you think it would fetch on market?

6. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    So this is near and dear to my heart...except I bought the orphan and will restore. Originally sort of a "field find" - dealer had to take the 8 as part of a BB sale. Low price but didn't run. Nothing found seized up, fuse box shows burnt connections. There's $1K. I've been stripping her down over the last few years to prep for respray (sprayed by previous owner but not in original color). Highly regarded local shop quoted $10K. Found a hole in the top pipe of the exhaust that had burnt through the trunk floor - another $3K - bumpers found rusted from interior out causing delamination - I like the Euro look anyway - another $3K - but otherwise she's solid. With other bits, bolts, rubber likely needed throughout the project end result will be I'll have in it what I think its worth. That's the key.