What to do... end of the line for an 8... Maybe | FerrariChat

What to do... end of the line for an 8... Maybe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by smg2, Apr 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Time and salt air on the coast have not at all been kind to my Mondial 8. In the last decade rusty 'ol cancer has been eating away at the poor girl. Back of the old envelop number crunching says that it's going to cost roughly 30k to fix and re-paint. I don't want to part it out, and buying another 8 doesn't make sense either, for the cost of a decent one I might as well restore mine not to mention god only knows what's lurking underneath one that's still original. Oh and that coupes are rarely up for grabs. The rust is taken hold in both front fenders, at the rear fender where it meets the sail panel and the drivers lower rocker panel, very oddly the doors are untouched. Oh and I noticed the drivers headlight bucket now has a small blister on it...

What tears me is that I've done the fully restored car game in the past and then lost all fun in driving it for fear of damaging it or having it damaged after all the money and time poured into it. I really don't want a 100 point concourse driver nor do I want a half assed resto.. this sucks. I'm not going to share pics at the moment as they are too shocking and sad to see :( no really they are... my god is the steel ****ty, really really ****ty!! like were they made along side Yugo's in Serbia??

I could replace it with a 308 in a heartbeat, we have a couple here... but the 308 just doesn't fit right for me and while a great little car it isn't the Mondial. I could sink the money into a TR along with parting and selling off the Mondial and that option really stands out to me, but I'd be loosing the simplicity of the V8 and the 2 extra seats, and a TR is a bear to drive around in the burbs and city, cruising it's perfect, otherwise it's a chore.

I know first world problems and all. I had to park it 5yrs ago do to the main fuse board being such a mess and at the time there wasn't any real options for replacing it. Then it got sidelined. Now there are for that problem which is great. 5yrs of sitting though has taken it's toll. I used to drive it daily, took the kids to school, etc.. really miss that. It's not like I've got a pile of cash laying around either which makes this a tough choice. Sink the money or cut it loose.

2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    have to take responsibility. Rust didn't destroy your, neglect did. And that neglect allowed the rust to do its work. It didn't happen over night.

The Italians bought a lot of cheap steel from Russia and it found its way into almost all their cars.

My suggestion would be to do some soul searching and decide if you really want to own one, and accept all that goes with it. If the answer is yes, it may be wiser to find a new one, keep the best parts from yours in the back of the garage...interior, engine, wheels, master cylinders, trans, clutch, handles, glass, regulators, electrical, brakes, etc., etc., etc. Those parts can upgrade the new car you find, and become back up parts for when work is needed.

Perhaps a metal smith would enjoy trying to save the body of your car but I don't think it is practical for you to do it.

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Not sure what's got you all worked up, but hey it's your choice.

What's strange is the assumptions you make on what I can or can not do and the automatic assumption that it's all my fault. Have I let the rust spread? not really, maybe if one wants to be hyper critical and goes by the stance that I didn't immediately strip and restore the vehicle the moment I noticed it. Instead I did what I could and was pro-active as best as possible and stripped and treated the areas that I noticed it occurring, unfortunately it lurks in areas one can't see unless the vehicle is stripped bare.

There are not many Mondials' left, I suspect it has something to do with the rust prone crappy steel and sub-par to non-existent prevention the factory did, compiled with low valuations. But hey, let's just blame every owner for it, makes it easier I suppose. My heart says spend the money and restore it, the logical side says that doesn't make any financial sense.

Parts, how about complete engines, gearboxes..? see the parts bit I found amusing, Oh? why? see that tells me you don't know me at all yet felt comfortable enough to pass judgement without thought.

Congrats BTW on your recent 8 acquisition.

4. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Not using it for 5 years....:( Was it stored indoors and thoroughly cleaned before putting it away for such a long time? I think proper prep work for long time storage would have made a big difference. Anyways, best of luck, but it would be a shame to sell it for spares. Better to let it go cheap to someone willing to bring the Mondial back to life. There are less and less of them around....

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    how about some pics? $30K seems like a lot, but hard to know until one sees the extent of the rusting. Sell the 8 and get into a T Cab,lots of decent choices around for those +/- $40k, updated elecs, 3.4 engine...

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    It was not stored inside, it was washed cleaned and kept dry, I did drain the tanks and prep for long term storage, however I live on the beach. The salt air has taken it's toll, it's a problem this close to the water. Yeah time gets away before you know it, lots of things and other priorities. The rust starting showing up before I parked it, I've known it was a problem and have been trying to keep it at bay till something could be done.

30k to effect repairs would be a complete strip/dip and paint done the right way. Otherwise it's going to rust again down the road, they all will.

As to the other variants, I don't like the seating and door change in the QV or 3.2, nor the interior. T's are nice but I just don't care for Cab's. The 8 fits just right for me, which is a challenge itself at 6'4". 10yrs ago I swapped the front and rear bumpers out for the later 3.2 and on the 8 it looks great, to me at least.

8. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I hope you save it because I hate seeing *any* of the classic Ferraris written off. The Mondial may not be the most loved model out there but at least it drives and feels like a proper Ferrari instead of a video game on wheels and Ferrari will never make cars like that again. You seem to like the car and it fits your needs, so why not have the body work done and brew up a special powerplant for it so that the end result will be truly special to you?

If you do decide to move along, seems to me the 308 GT4 might fit your needs. Personally, I'd love to see you in a 348 because that might portend some cool bits coming out of the NFF Skunkworks. :)

Still, I say fix the Mondial. You know you want to. ;)

9. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I say fix it if you love it. When it's broken down you can have the chassis, arms, etc coated, and can prime and seal the inside of all the panels. You can also coat the undercarriage in waxoyl.

Living right on the ocean is tough.

10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Not quite; Russia didn't have enough hard cash to pay for the license fees (and some parts they couldn't manufacture) for LADA cars based on FIAT designs so they paid in sheet steel rolls. Unfortunately for us, FIAT accepted this BAD DEAL...

11. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    ive often wondered about this legend, surely all untreated steel rusts pretty fast?
    To the OP, go on youtube and see how stuff is restored, im amazed by some of the rescues. They begin as total basket cases.

12. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ben, not a legend... the metal was partially rusty "inside" before it was transformed into a car. That's why you get rust spots in some undamaged areas from inside out (protected inside and undamaged exterior paint but still rust bubbles).

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I tried posting last night but it kept vaporizing..

I love the Mondial and really want to restore it, wrestling with the cost vs value is the issue.

We here at NFF Skunkworks will whore out for any Ferrari project :D anything you're looking for?

We're in the middle of building and prepping a GT4 for rally hill climbs down in OZ, so I've had the opportunity to really dig around inside one. The layout and space doesn't work for me and no offense to the GT4 owners, I'm just not fond of the Bertone style.

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    So very true, I've got a couple little bubbles smack in the middle of perfect panels from the inside out. Nothing one could do to prevent that, short of a complete strip and dip.

From what I've read and heard is that FIAT used recycled steel that was not be properly recycled so the rust simply continued to oxidize from the inside out. Low grade recycled ship steel will flash rust and is probably the worst option for body panels. If money was no object I'd seriously consider CF or Al panels to be made. Shed some serious weight too. Hmmm now I'm thinking... I could 3D model a buck for the front fenders...

15. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Even that... problem is still inside.

16. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    If I remember correctly, I read probably a decade ago somewhere that Ferrari rustproofing improved somewhere in the middle of the Mondial run. My 3.2 had some uncarriage rust mitigated back in 2008, but thankfully I've had no body rust issues yet. And I drive my Mondial to the beach every summer. I would suggest you not sink a ton into the 8, as your location near the salt air will always be a problem. I'd suggest as others finding a driver QV, 3.2 or t without rust and enjoy. You'll spend the same but end up better off medium and long term.

17. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    interesting regarding the steel, similar problem happened on British cars in the seventies due to the strikes at steelworks, inferior steel was sourced elsewhere and ..... you know what happened.

18. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    #18 davem, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    +1.
    Bought an 83 Euro coupe in 02. Was a nice 10 footer. After a while realized it would require much$$ to make it the way i'd feel comfortable for the long haul. Sold it what i paid for. Bought the 88 3.2 coupe. Both were the same color scheme too. The 3.2 seems much better put together as well. Many quality updates.
    Spent lot of time in a TR. Never found it too cumbersome on back roads as you often read about.

Wanted to add, Besides the 3.2 bumper update haven't you made some other mods?? Lets hear about the mechanical side of you car. Back in the day had Fiat X1/9's. 74, 79 then and 83. As they rusted out just transplanted the good parts to a newer less rusty donor

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Dings dents and rust bring freedom. Knowing these cars are basically panels
    Welded or bolted to a stout steel frame I'd probably drive it as is. If it's considered gone there is nothing to loose in continuing to enjoy the car. And if parting out is possible then you can put that off and let it keep rusting and cruising. The parts will likely only go up in value too. And if you enjoy it with freedom someday it may be worth saving.

I purchased a car out of San Francisco many years ago. That ocean breeze is no joke.

Pretend it's a worthless fiat that no one wants but you love and enjoy it.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's a mondial 8. It's not worth fixing at the 30k number. The car, as you are describing is worth max 15k. Fixed and in mint shape what..35k? However, if you love the car then cost to repair shouldn't matter. IMHO, scrap it and buy somthing else.

21. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I like to think of it this way…

We are all really custodians of the cars we have chosen to admire/own/drive, so let’s all put a little back… If everybody before us just looked at the financial side of the cars they owned, they would have scrapped so many older cars & let’s face it they did… leaving nothing for future aspiring owners, if you love the car for what it is.

Car enthusiasm shouldn’t be about how much money they owe or will pay you, those people are who have spoilt the whole car enthusiast passion..

Spend some time & money as can be afforded on what is a great car, that you know the history of and make it live to pass on to the next generation of Mondial owners..

Too many people in the world looking for what they can get out of life rather than looking to leave something or give back.. Let’s all try and pass on a better car then we bought…

The world is becoming way to much a throw away world…hopefully when we get to old and costly to fix our children don’t just flick the switch and buy a newer model… LOL 

Save Her I say.. 

22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    My advice would be to part it out, then take the body shell to an auto recycle yard and have it crushed. That way, mine will be worth more money.

If I were you, I would start by getting a garage. How does a man live without a garage anyway ? Install a window AC unit, and the salt air problem goes away. Now for the rust on your car, use phosphoric acid. Only don't get any on your skin because it burns like a mother******. Small parts can go into the metal rescue. I just did my expansion tank, and it came out looking like brand new with metal rescue. For exterior refinishing, take it to a professional body shop. It's not going to cost 30k, sheesh.

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Grade-Phosphoric-Remover-Clean/dp/B06XZSW3QX/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1493019385&sr=8-1&keywords=1+Gallon+85%25+Food+Grade+Phosphoric+Acid+Rust+Remover+Clean+Etch+Metal

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-Protective-Packaging-MR5GAL-Rescue/dp/B00HNKBOFA/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1493019424&sr=1-2&keywords=metal+rescue

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #23 smg2, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    no worries, I have a garage, it's just full up with...well, see for yourself..

And yes it does unfortunately cost that much to have a body striped, dipped and painted. Just had that done a 308.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I remember a similar dilemma in the past where an older gentleman had who loved his tired old Porsche 914 that he had owned for a long time even though it's not a particularly well loved model in the marketplace, it fit him perfectly. But it had rusted and needed to be restored and the cost exceeded the value of the car.

The shop asked him, "If you could walk into the Porsche showroom today and buy this car new, how much would you pay?"

The gentleman said, "Hell, I'd pay $40k to buy this car brand new today."

And the shop owner said, "Well, there's good news for you, because you can have the car back brand new and you just saved yourself $10k."

Of course, you have to extract for the Ferrari numbers ... but the sentiment is the same. What would you be willing to pay for a new Mondial 8 today?

25. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nicely stated. Agree 100%.