What is leaking here? | FerrariChat

What is leaking here?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Chicane5, Apr 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chicane5

Chicane5 Rookie

Aug 13, 2020
    Hey folks,

I posted on here ~6 months ago when I was considering a 2013 Cali 30. I posted up the PPI I had done, since there were a few issues raised (motor mounts, cracked oil pan etc) and was keen to get opinions on whether to walk away or negotiate down with the dealer, taking into account the work needed.

Long story short, I took the car and had the necessary majors done on it at the start of the year and since then was running very well. A few weeks back there was a roof issue where some items in the trunk caused a jam in the mechanism. Took it to Ferrari LA, they fixed that and serviced it, did the multi-point inspection, road test etc etc. They also noted multiple exhaust leaks which the PPI had not picked up.

Cut to Friday night of this weekend and I go to jump in it as Im leaving work and notice a nice big pool of fluid at the rear on the floor, and what appears to be oil spray all over the trunk, license plate etc. I drove it home cautiously, which is about a 6 minute drive. There was a definite odd noise on startup and slow speed. When I jump out at the other end I stick the phone under and see some pretty heavy fluid leaking out. The underside rear tray was already cracked since purchase, and is missing a small section - where the fluid is now pooling and dripping from. Fluid appears more or less clear in color, with an oil like viscosity. Some other info which may be pertinent - every so often the red gearbox warning indicator was coming on, on the dash. The original PPI had mentioned a slight leak at the transaxle but advised me not to tackle it at that point.

Due to work I'm not going to be able to deal with this until end of next week earliest, but looking for some insight and bracing myself for worst case scenarios. At this point Im about ready to push the thing off the nearest bluff into the Pacific. Also curious as to why this wasn't picked up at the service from literally 14 days ago, unless it really is incredibly bad luck for this to happen subsequently and have shown no symptoms at the time. Pic and vid attached.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You asked everyone in Oct to buy or walk and 9 out of ten owners said walk and few said run.
    Not surprised you have issues.
    Sorry man
    Hope you get it sorted out

3. Chicane5

Chicane5 Rookie

Aug 13, 2020
    Yes - thanks for that, but i wasn't really looking for a "told you so". The issues that were flagged at purchase were rectified and all was good. This is something new!

4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    “The original PPI had mentioned a slight leak at the transaxle but advisedme not to tackle it at that point.”
    Red Gearbox warning and what looks like transmission fluid, typically red.
    DCT repairs are not inexpensive on the Cali.
    Sincerely hope it’s an easy fix